Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Car Insurance, It's like life You just can't make it up! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/car-insurance-its-like-life-you-just-cant-make-it-up-24593.html)

Less 03-10-2006 16:33

Car Insurance, It's like life You just can't make it up!

I haven't had a claim in since 1992 and if my motor hadn't been a serious write-off I wouldn't even have put one in then. Since that time I have had accident free motoring which had in combination with my age resulted in lower Premiums, (why do they call them premiums? Every other bill is known as a bill).

For a while however I have been Car free so I haven't needed insurance, then I re-inherited the little Ford Fiesta from my daughter.
It needed insurance, I looked on the web and a company offered me a very good deal, I filled in the details and was accepted. Then when the bumph arrived all I had to do was put details of my last insurer in their pre-paid Envelope, this I did, yesterday I received a letter from them please contact urgently, Ring, ring, usual shuffle around departments, We are sorry to inform you Sir, that because it is two and a half years since you had car insurance your no-claims is no longer valid and we will have to cancel your policy.

Gobsmacked was not the word that can describe my feelings, what am I supposed to do I asked, We'll put you through to our sales department for a fresh quote, (fortunatley she added, don't worry we won't cancel this policy until they transfer you back).

I went through all the required details with the salesman, the computer quote he assured me was a very good deal it was after all only two and a half times your original quote!

I tried to explain that although I hadn't had insurance of my own I was the named driver on both my daughter's and my son's car insurance and that because I was on my daughters insurance and she is under 25 she gets 50% off for having me on her policy as a safe driver!

It didn't work, put me back to the other department please there is no way I am paying more in insurance than what the car is worth.

I eventually got back to the original department, ring, ring etc. not the same person! (I then had to explain yet again why I was on the 'phone in the first place).

OK. so are you sorted she asked? , yes I'm sorted I replied cancel the policy I'll find someone else, right sir to cancel the policy, we require the full deposit that you have already paid plus one months payment because you didn't cancel within 14 days, £25.00 legal costs and £1.00 for administration!

I told her to go swivel, That £1.00 Administration, that was the straw on the Camels back. There was no administration they are the ones that should administrate not me! it should come out of the other money they have ripped me off for.

Tune in same time same place, when I give you a description of what the food tastes like in debtors prison!:D

http://www.whitmanpolice.com/images/prison.jpg

shillelagh 03-10-2006 16:45

Re: Car Insurance, It's like life You just can't make it up!

Less i can beat you on that one! Because of the epilepsy my insurance premiums when i was driving was bumped up. Anyway i had a fit while driving the car i was lucky i hit a wall and no one else was hurt except for me. So i claimed on the insurance and so lost my no claims bonus. The insurance was £523. for fully comp. When id done my 1yr without a fit i rang round trying to find an insurance company that would insure me especially after having a fit while driving. Anyway rang the insurance company that i'd claimed from. £353 fully comp and on the same car! Before i had a no claims bonus and there was £170 difference. When i asked he said we are treating you as a new driver - so you get a new driver discount! They were the cheapest and they'd sorted everything out when i had the accident so i went back with them. 2 weeks later i had another fit and so had to stop driving again. When i rang em up and told them they gave me back my money minus 1 month. That was in the contract. (I paid my insurance using the credit union - they were cheaper than paying direct debit!)

Less 03-10-2006 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh
Because of the epilepsy

Well, perhaps before we get someone telling us that you shouldn't be driving anyway, we should direct them to this site, (it might save arguments later).:D

entwisi 03-10-2006 19:06

You are a bit unfortunate Less, IIRC 2 years is the limit for honouring NCD. All you can do is ring round and try and get teh new driver discounts. A fiesta shouldn't cost that much to insure 3rd party anway. now try getting insurance on a 200bhp group 16 car :D

cashman 03-10-2006 19:48

know where your coming from less,many years ago i was carless lol cos i took up cycling, after 25 months and wrecking the bike going to work i though ****** this and got a car again, told them i had full no claims,they said no you aint you have not been insured for more than 2 years so you have to start again, i could not believe what i was being told and being a youngster mid 30s was tempted to swear at them, they say profanities get you nowhere,i disagree i knew i had the full insurance to pay so it made me feel a hell of a lot better.:D

WillowTheWhisp 03-10-2006 19:49

If you'd not been a named driver on someone else's that got them the reduction it might have made sense but considering you were it's a bit daft.

Less 03-10-2006 20:23

I'm just glad the advert for car insurance under my first post is NOT for the company I went with or my computer might have ended up in pieces next to the wall! :cool:

shillelagh 03-10-2006 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less
Well, perhaps before we get someone telling us that you shouldn't be driving anyway, we should direct them to this site, (it might save arguments later).:D

I know i've had a lot of that but at the time i learnt drive i hadnt had a fit for 3 years so i was under control. The only thing is if they say that does that mean everyone else who has a medical condition eg diabetes, asthma etc cant drive?

Less 03-10-2006 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
now try getting insurance on a 200bhp group 16 car :D

Why?
:confused::rolleyes:

entwisi 04-10-2006 09:01

OK, let me rephrase it, try getting a insurance on a 200bhp Grp16 car that does 30K pa without a large dent appearing in your bank balance :D

Not cheap these car things!

Still it does make me laugh to hear people winge about insurance going up £100 when their nice shiny new car is depreciating at nearly than that a week

Less 04-10-2006 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
OK, let me rephrase it, try getting a insurance on a 200bhp Grp16 car that does 30K pa without a large dent appearing in your bank balance :D

Again I ask Why?

Why should I? it's a ford fiesta I'm trying to insure, not a pose-mobile, but if I was trying to insure the type of car you're talking about and after taking out a policy the insurance company told me it was going to be cancelled (at my expense) and a new policy offered at two and a half times their original quote I would probably be just as annoyed.
:confused:

cherokee 04-10-2006 21:17

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 6820 you must have been trying this company less lol

the real michael 05-10-2006 05:41

my typical premium on an audi quattro began at 249 gpb.... and after
5 years n/c/bonus the premium became just underf 1000 gbp! it priced me
out of insurance even though i never claimed.... the reason was because of
other peoples whiplash claims, which is nothing to do with me but forced me
out of motorism........ its as unfair as democracy and as corrupt..... car insurance is robbery.....you are paying for others fraud.... i hate this robbing
theiving country................ i hope we all die horribly......i pray every day

WillowTheWhisp 05-10-2006 08:02

So what did you do to these other people to cause their whiplash injuries?

entwisi 05-10-2006 08:18

I think what he meant was that with the advent of the ambulance chasers persuading people to claim that in general all insurance premiums went up. Those of us who insure powerful/fast cars tend to get hit more than most.

jimmi5bellies 05-10-2006 08:33

I was in the same boat, after being off the road for 2 1/2 years i lost all my NCB. Had to start from scratch again. The cheapest quote i got was when i did a search on comfused.com. When i actually telephoned the company to ask a few questions, i got it from them even cheaper than the web quote.

jimmi5bellies 05-10-2006 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by the real michael
my typical premium on an audi quattro began at 249 gpb.... and after
5 years n/c/bonus the premium became just underf 1000 gbp! it priced me
out of insurance even though i never claimed.... the reason was because of
other peoples whiplash claims, which is nothing to do with me but forced me
out of motorism........ its as unfair as democracy and as corrupt..... car insurance is robbery.....you are paying for others fraud.... i hate this robbing
theiving country................ i hope we all die horribly......i pray every day

Me and my son are in the middle of a whiplash claim, my son also hurt his elbow ..... does that make us fraudsters?
The guy who plowed into the back of me got off very lightly. Although he was fully insured he wreaked of alcohol at the scene of the accident, he left his details and shot off lke grease lightening. Also i bet he hadnt declared to his insurance company that he was using his car for buisness. The back seat had builders bricks in, a mini cement mixer, bags of plaster. And he hadnt just picked them up. You could see from the state of his car that that was his buisness vehicle.

WillowTheWhisp 05-10-2006 08:46

Oh well that happens with all insurances unfortunately. Household insurance goes up because lots of other peple claim from the company when they have floods etc. In fact life itself becomes increasingly more expensive doesn't it?

katex 23-11-2006 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 317106)
Oh well that happens with all insurances unfortunately. Household insurance goes up because lots of other peple claim from the company when they have floods etc. In fact life itself becomes increasingly more expensive doesn't it?

Too right Willow .. I am absolutely furious tonight,had a bump last week whereby I admitted liability .. not absolutely sure whether I was at fault but did cut across this brand new Mercedes turning left on a roundabout :o .. it happens and to save aggro (and the fact no excess and protected) said Ok is me.

Seemed lovely lady ... (how wrong could I be) just skimmed my car as we both entered the turn off at the same time.. she said she was absolutely fine and not hurt at all.

Today, solicitor's letter for bloody WHIPLASH.. and loss of earnings ... no bloody way, speed was so low suspect even her seatbelt didn't even tighten !! No sharp impact as such.

Gotta stop these people from making these ludicrous claims somehow as affects us all.:mad:

2 weeks ago, my daughter was waiting at a roundabout for safe exit, in her little Tigra, when this huge lorry ploughed in the back of her, knocking her across the road onto the Central reservation.. she was lucky, had hurtful shoulder injury exacerbated by past illness, and would have had a good case, but has carried on working in her nursing capacity and not claimed 'cause is Ok now ...

Recently friend of mine was hit by another car .. everything Ok. went to Docs and Doc insisted on asking him if OK .. he kept saying "yeh, fine" "Sure, you have no Whiplash"... "No" says friend.. Doc persistant .. "you sure ?" .. eventually, friend admits, well, just a little twinge... result £3,000 bloody pay out !!

Know the insurance companies are looking more into these criminal claims, but if you have read through this.. ta ...phew ! feel much better now.

silvermain 24-11-2006 13:13

If you can get money out of the insurance companies id claim for every little detail. Who wouldnt?

Sparkologist 24-11-2006 14:36

Car insurance is licensed fraud!

A lot of the problem is because the vendors are on a commission to sell you an insurance package. The more money that they can flog insurance to you for means more money in their back sack.

katex 24-11-2006 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermain (Post 339929)
If you can get money out of the insurance companies id claim for every little detail. Who wouldnt?

Well, I for one wouldn't Silvermain !! Insurance is there to reimburse you for losses you may encounter .. not to de-fraud them and claim for items, injuries etc., that were non-existent in the first place.

Just means that it affects us all in the long run, by increasing our premiums.

I have found Direct Line (my insurers) good on price and respond without any hassle if you have a claim .. so feel a little sorry for them to be honest.

Maybe I am in the minority and could not bring myself even to 'exaggerate' about monies that may have been stolen in a burglary.:angel:

katex 24-11-2006 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkologist (Post 339962)
Car insurance is licensed fraud!

A lot of the problem is because the vendors are on a commission to sell you an insurance package. The more money that they can flog insurance to you for means more money in their back sack.

As as for you Sparkologist :D I worked for an Insurance Broker for a couple of years and did the Car Insurance for clients, and never at any time was I instructed to advise the most expensive 'deal', always had the best interest of the client at heart, as they would return to place their business for pensions, life assurance, etc., which was far more lucrative.

Sure most are still like this, knowing that most people can shop around easily now. :p

Sparkologist 24-11-2006 17:45

A few years ago I had a renewal sent through the post from Swinton Insurance in Accy. Bearing in mind that the same insured car was a year older, worth less due to depreciation and I was inevitably a year older & supposedly wiser, (save the wise-cracks, please :rolleyes: ), my insurance premium had gone up. When I called into the office at the top of Broadway to ask why, they said that was the computer generated quote, and that was their offer.

I walked 30 yards across the road to Catteral's Insurance, opposite the Broadway Pub, gave them my details, and they gave me a quote that not only beat Swinton's offer, but by over 50 quid. At this time, Catteral's were not aware what I had been quoted elsewhere.

I then walked back to Swinton's to tell them that I would not be taking up their offer of repeat insurance because I had been offered a better deal elsewhere. When they asked how much, I told them. They brought up my details again on their computer system, and lo behold, they managed to beat the Catteral's price by a tenner. :(
At this point, I cut my nose off to spite my face, very politely declined their offer, due to the fact that i believed that they had acted without honesty & integrity, and took my business back across the road to Catterall's, even though it cost me 10 quid more, but still saved me over £50 on the original offer.

The point I am trying to make is that in this case, what was once, "the computer's price and that's it", suddenly became much more flexible when they thought they were about to lose my business. That difference in the two quotes had to have come out of their margin, ie the price they wanted to sell the insurance package for, versus the bottom line price they were prepared to sell for, when challenged.

I don't deal with Swinton no more. To put it prosaically, they can kiss my festerin' ring! :mad:

katex 24-11-2006 18:02

Well, no computers when I worked in Insurance Sparkologist, however, same in any business, you have to be aware of your competitors. You have to get the best margin for your company, even though you know you can go down a little further, and sometimes quote the best in the first place, as I sometimes do.

Obviously the company you placed your business with decided to give you the best quote to gain the business, but Brokers only work on a percentage commission, they don't usually load the quote for their own benefit. Swiinton is a big company and will probably only deal with certain Insurers in the first place .. they have a lot of mouths to feed.

Is this broker you placed the business with still trading ?

katex 24-11-2006 18:16

In retrospect, have decided that my last post was a load of c*ap as these are just the brokers, not the Insurance companies.

Ianto.W. 24-11-2006 20:43

Play the same game Katex as the other party, you have amnaesia whiplash and berri berri due to the other drivers 'lousy driving'. If you wan't a witness, I can be bribed. regards I.T.W.

***Mr D*** 08-12-2006 16:32

I know of a few companies that will honor you earned NCB upto 3 years.

And a few that will give you the equivalent if you where a named driver on a family members car upto 4 years NCB.

Brokers do not go for the highest premium they go for the cheapest price to meet your needs.

It really all boils down to who at the brokers, companies you are speaking to as a lot dont have a clue.

Accy Red 09-12-2006 18:26

My insurance company is QUINN DIRECT,I am over 40 now :(,I got my car insured with them last year,I had a company vehicle for years so my my own insurance was defunct,I drive a 2 litre engined Citroen,my quote was for £269 TPFT,I had NO no claims discount,I was starting from scratch,I genuinely believe that QD are the best insurance company out there,my next nearest quote was from Lancaster Insurance,they were at least £60 more expensive,I used Confused.com to find mine

Hope that helps some of ya