Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   HBC rubbish @ recycling. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hbc-rubbish-recycling-25829.html)

garinda 14-11-2006 15:14

HBC rubbish @ recycling.

It came to my attention today that Hyndburn Borough Council, the council that puts micro-chips in our wheelie bins and bangs on about wanting to be a Free Trade Borough, doesn't recycle any business waste produced in the borough.

Householders are being threatend with fines if we don't sort out and then recylce our waste. Fair enough, but surely all the businesses in Hyndburn, who pay business rates as well as extra charges for the removal of waste, produce a relatively large amount of rubbish which could be recycled.

I presume that the combined waste from all the bussiness in Hyndburn amounts to quite a lot, compared to that of household waste.

Surely if HBC pays lip service to green issues, and threaten fines, all waste in the borough should be recycled?

I wonder if all the rubbish from the various council offices and Town Hall, which must include an awful lot of paper, is recycled, or just dumped in landfill sites along with all the other glass, cardboard, paper, tins, and plastic that is produced by all the other businesses in Hyndburn?

I did my own little unscientific survey today in Accrington and Ossy. Out of fourteen businesses none had waste that was recycled, and all said they would. The owners of the Church Street Chippy said they had lots of waste that they could seperate easily, and thought the way it was all taken together to landfill sites was just a waste.

Either we are green as a borough or not.

Less political spin and threats of fines, and more action would be an illustration of a council who practiced what they preached.

WillowTheWhisp 14-11-2006 15:41

Re: HBC rubbish @ recycling.

That amazes me. Donkeys years ago when I worked in a bank we always put out paper waste separate to our normal rubbish sort of stuff - was it recycled back then but not now? That would mean we've gone backwards instead of forwards.

accymel 14-11-2006 15:46

Its easier to get the small fry [ie householder] than it is to get the big guys:rolleyes:

Neil 14-11-2006 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Donkeys years ago when I worked in a bank we always put out paper waste separate to our normal rubbish

I saw that in the news a few weeks ago, it includes peoples bank statments, credit/debit cards and all sorts of loan applications etc. Maybe not a good example :D.

The company I work for recycle only metal and wood. No paper, which alwat surprises me the ammount we use.

WillowTheWhisp 14-11-2006 15:48

No, we didn't dump confidential waste Neil we dealt with that internally. You'd be surprised how much other paper garbage a bank could produce in the old days.

garinda 14-11-2006 15:50

Although my survey was random I really would love an offical response.

Is there any business in Hyndburn that has their waste recycled?

If only Hyndburn Life worked I could ask on there.:D

WillowTheWhisp 14-11-2006 15:58

Maybe we could all adopt and area and go and do a quick survey sometime this week.

garinda 14-11-2006 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Maybe we could all adopt and area and go and do a quick survey sometime this week.

This only came to my attention because someone I know, who was loathed to keep putting glass and tins in with the unrecycled rubbish, put some in with their household recycling box/sacks and recieved a warning sticker that they would be fined if they did it again because it was industrial waste.

Either we should be striving as a borough to be green, or we are not.

Half green to me equals khaki, which is derived from an eastern word for sh*t.

lindsay ormerod 14-11-2006 17:31

As far as I am aware all the businesses on the Msuic Zone side of Broadway have NO recycling facilities,all our rubbish just goes into skips that are then collected weekly by a contracted firm;you can imagine the amount of cardboard generated by ourselves,Poundland,JJB and Wilko's !!:eek: :eek:
Our rubbish like cans and plastic goes in a bin bag into another skip.
Not great and I am sure the businesses would rather recycle than keep filling the landfill sites! The situation was the same when I worked in the Arndale centre.

WillowTheWhisp 14-11-2006 17:36

Methinks a complaint or two to the council wouldn't go amiss here. This is downright ludcrous!

SPUGGIE J 14-11-2006 18:45

The council wont listen and the councillers will only intervene if it gets them a vote or 10. There is no point them pushing recycling unless its 100% borough wide with NO EXCEPTIONS. More chance of finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than that happening though.

garinda 14-11-2006 19:03

Been informed by a reliable source that 10% of all waste in Hyndburn is trade waste, and all 100% of it goes straight to landfill sites.

Green my arse.

Another bloody disgrace.

cashman 14-11-2006 22:25

just occured to me, if they fine people and people DO NOT pay the fines, are we going to have folk gaoled for non-payment of re-cycling fines? after they gaoled pensioners ( nationally) for refusing to pay the poll tax,i would think so,so the prisons which are overcrowded NOW,will have to release all the pervs and scumbags to make room for THESE MASTER CRIMINALS.:(

slinky 14-11-2006 22:27

Roflmao cashy..........that would be funny......sat in prison, writting letters home saying " hi family, not doing too bad, missing you all........have you remembered to put the recycle bins out??" :D:D:D

Ianto.W. 15-11-2006 12:26

Town centre on Tuesday evening is awash with trade waste, this is paid for with stickers. Beware of the chips that weigh the amount of non recycled waste you dispose of, they intend to charge for excess waste calculated on a per head basis, pilot schemes are already in place in some southern counties.

crazyD 15-11-2006 15:56

Hyndburn Waste

This is very true, is Hyndburn council taking a leaf out of their own book ? The amount of waste the council must produce is staggering, also businesses in the area generate heaps and heaps of waste this must be addressed. Why should it be the helpless old aged pensioner who forgets to recycle that gets a fine or has their bin stolen suffer when multi million pound businesses profit more by not recycleing.

I wish a few more people felt the same and stood up and made a song and dance about this so the council may address the situation LOL, as if thats going to happen how many "allegedley" back handers goes on so this is prevented.:mad:

slinky 15-11-2006 15:59

Re: Hyndburn Waste

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyD
as if thats going to happen how many "allegedley" back handers goes on so this is prevented.:mad:

I know!! I'm bloody skint now. :D

garinda 15-11-2006 16:04

Re: Hyndburn Waste

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyD
This is very true, is Hyndburn council taking a leaf out of their own book ? The amount of waste the council must produce is staggering, also businesses in the area generate heaps and heaps of waste this must be addressed. Why should it be the helpless old aged pensioner who forgets to recycle that gets a fine or has their bin stolen suffer when multi million pound businesses profit more by not recycleing.

I wish a few more people felt the same and stood up and made a song and dance about this so the council may address the situation LOL, as if thats going to happen how many "allegedley" back handers goes on so this is prevented.:mad:

The local press should pick up on this.

Still no offical answer as to whether Hyndburn Council's own waste is recycled from their many and varied sites.

Are all those jars of Free Trade coffee we pay for them to sup recycled???

garinda 15-11-2006 16:12

I've just sent a link to this thread to the Accrington Observer.

Shady McGough 15-11-2006 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda

Good man. I wonder if each of us could fine the council if it turned out that they weren't recycling.

Anyone know where to get hold of these spy chips? We could monitor the monitors.

cashman 15-11-2006 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda

goodman rindy, but if the observer takes it up, i,ll plat snot.:D

WillowTheWhisp 15-11-2006 22:11

I shall be ringing up the refuse collection department tomorrow. We put out two blue sacks with bottles/cans etc this morning but only got one empty sack back. Now if they expect us to recycle why have they limited the number of containers to put the recyclables in?

garinda 07-12-2006 15:44

Happy to report that the Observer have published a story about the issues raised here about all of Hyndburn's trade waste going straight to landfill sites.

shillelagh 07-12-2006 15:52

It's took them long enough to write the story though hasnt it? From the 15/11/06 to the 7/12/06 16 working days (going off monday to Friday).

garinda 07-12-2006 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 346467)
It's took them long enough to write the story though hasnt it? From the 15/11/06 to the 7/12/06 16 working days (going off monday to Friday).

Perhaps they had a quiet week. They didn't call me until yesterday.;)

garinda 07-12-2006 16:00

...and of course we didn't get a mention as Accy Web, just a local forum.

cashman 07-12-2006 16:22

cashy starts platting snot.:D

chav1 07-12-2006 16:53

yesterday my binmen came and refused to take a bag that i had put out

i used a box when tidying my house to put rubbish in , old toys etc and bagged it up afterwards

anyway apprently it cant be taken because of the box holding teh rubbish been recycable

needless to say HBC dont have my box of rubbish but neither do i ;)

WillowTheWhisp 07-12-2006 18:58

I've read that a few times Chav but I can't fathom out what you mean. Am I being particularly dim?

chav1 08-12-2006 02:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 346577)
I've read that a few times Chav but I can't fathom out what you mean. Am I being particularly dim?

yes lol

j/k

simple explination for willow

i filled a box with variuos crap

put the box into a large wheelie binliner

asked binman if i could chuck it into the waggon

was refused as teh box was recycable material even though it was full of crap and wrapped up in a bag

solution:

got rid of it myself and aint sayin how ;)

WillowTheWhisp 08-12-2006 08:40

Gotcha!

It was the box that confused me.

lancsdave 08-12-2006 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by chav1 (Post 346860)

got rid of it myself and aint sayin how ;)

I've just had to clear some rubbish off my doorstep this morning !!!

SPUGGIE J 08-12-2006 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 346458)
Happy to report that the Observer have published a story about the issues raised here about all of Hyndburn's trade waste going straight to landfill sites.

Had to laugh at that tough considering how serious they take it if you or I dont recycle. HYPOCRITS thats all they are. One rule for us one rule for them. Well next time they start it should be "whats good for the goose is good for the gander" as they (HBC) are setting the example.

Ernie 08-12-2006 13:17

Bury council are a waste of space too, I have an old gas fire and a mattress to dispose of, they told me that they can take the mattress but I must dispose of the gas fire myself. Now some people would think that they are encouraging fly tipping, but not me I will take it to the tip myself like a good citizen.

WillowTheWhisp 08-12-2006 13:42

Which is of course very un-green because it means you use unnecessary extra fossil fuel in doing so.

cashman 08-12-2006 16:16

today was the blue sack collection day on our street! paris rang this morning to confirm this as we have a very full sack (cos they never collected a fortnight since) was told by the lady after giving her postcode YES they will be here today, but if they dont - ring me back after 4-00, after 4-00 she rang them back to say = they have not collected our sack, the answer was oh yours must be a missed street!!! so they will collect it next monday or tuesday. i am now slavering, at a cost of 2 phone calls we have now to put the bloody sack out monday, or tuesday, HBC is bloody useless, if we put the stuff in the wheely bin,its chipped so we will be fined. if we recycle like good citizens,they wont collect when they should,they will Pis* you about trailing bags through your house for nothing, how the infirm and disabled people cope with this fiasco is beyond me.THIS COUNCIL SUCKS.:mad:

chav1 08-12-2006 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 346915)
I've just had to clear some rubbish off my doorstep this morning !!!

you shouldnt thave told her where you lived you only have yourself to blame :D

jimmi5bellies 09-12-2006 08:16

Put cardboard out and have they took it ..... have they chuff ! :eek:

g jones 10-12-2006 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 347102)
today was the blue sack collection day on our street! paris rang this morning to confirm this as we have a very full sack (cos they never collected a fortnight since) was told by the lady after giving her postcode YES they will be here today, but if they dont - ring me back after 4-00, after 4-00 she rang them back to say = they have not collected our sack, the answer was oh yours must be a missed street!!! so they will collect it next monday or tuesday. i am now slavering, at a cost of 2 phone calls we have now to put the bloody sack out monday, or tuesday, HBC is bloody useless, if we put the stuff in the wheely bin,its chipped so we will be fined. if we recycle like good citizens,they wont collect when they should,they will Pis* you about trailing bags through your house for nothing, how the infirm and disabled people cope with this fiasco is beyond me.THIS COUNCIL SUCKS.:mad:

To be fair it has been run into the ground and had extra £millions to do it.

The stress because of the mess is considerable. It led to the leader Ian Ormerod in 2003 having a stroke (when Labour had one year a power) because of it all.

garinda 15-06-2007 10:02

I noticed in this weekend's Observer a self congratulatory article, were HBC have reached self imposed recycling targets. All very laudable, however, since all rubbish from council offices is classed as trade waste, the revelation that council employees are encouraged to take home waste to recycle, as there is no provision in the borough for trade waste to be recycled, seems a little puzzling.

The puzzle being that the information that no trade waste in Hyndburn can't, and isn't being recycled, first came to my attention because someone who was loathed to put glass in with their trade waste, was issued with a threat of a fine because they put some glass bottles in with their residential recycling.

Is this another example of one rule for the council, and another rule for the rest of us?

Has anyone from the council been issued with a notice and threat of fines, because they are disposing of trade waste through the residential recycling scheme?

I doubt it.

garinda 10-01-2008 22:59

Good to see Greg Pope, in his Observer column, berating Hyndburn Borough Council, over their slackness in still not letting the borough's businesses waste be recycled.

Speedy 11-01-2008 01:16

The only reason the council wants us to recycle is because it saves them money and makes them money at the same time. Because it costs approx 130pound per ton to tip off at the tip, (rough figures that i was told when i worked there). Not sure how much the recycling makes them but the scrap price for metal is around 80pound per ton. They must be laughing all the way with profit margins like that.

shillelagh 11-01-2008 01:34

my friend has always said why should he turn his kitchen into a recycling plant so that the council can make money, he also says a lot of other things that i cant post here but the general census is that HBC can kiss his backside :dummy2:

Neil 11-01-2008 02:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 515452)
my friend has always said why should he turn his kitchen into a recycling plant so that the council can make money

That is a dumb way of thinking. If tipping costs the Council more money then guess who pays for it, us Council Tax payers. Out of interest does your friend pay Council Tax or is it paid for him/her?

garinda 11-01-2008 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy (Post 515451)
The only reason the council wants us to recycle is because it saves them money and makes them money at the same time. Because it costs approx 130pound per ton to tip off at the tip, (rough figures that i was told when i worked there). Not sure how much the recycling makes them but the scrap price for metal is around 80pound per ton. They must be laughing all the way with profit margins like that.

Local councils have to reach recycling quotas handed down from central government, otherwise they will be denied funding.

As Neil said, who financially funds both local and national governments? Yes, we do. Therefore if recycling saves money, as well as decreasing the need for as many landfill sites, it's us, the people, who are the eventual beneficiaries.

harwood red 11-01-2008 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 515452)
my friend has always said why should he turn his kitchen into a recycling plant so that the council can make money, he also says a lot of other things that i cant post here but the general census is that HBC can kiss his backside :dummy2:

Ha ha think I can guess who that is :D

shillelagh 11-01-2008 16:39

My computer was hijacked this morning.

So it wasnt me that posted that. Was actually sat on the settee 6ft away from the computer when that was posted or was it when i was sat on the chair arm watching the person typing away.

shillelagh 12-01-2008 16:17

BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | The putrid problem of Italian politics

Just read that and made me think thank god i live here and not there.