Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Xmas cancelled for Farepak customers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/xmas-cancelled-for-farepak-customers-25989.html)

entwisi 21-11-2006 11:27

Re: Xmas cancelled for Farepak customers

Just seen this, http://orange.co.uk/news/quirkies/18...wsquirkyfriday

perhaps you girls want to get together, we'll see if we can find a photographer brave^h^h^h^h willing enough to donate their time :D:D:D

Billcat 21-11-2006 15:32

I can feel sympathy for the folks who were simply trying to ensure that they would have funds available for the holidays. I'm not a fan of this sort of program, but I am a fan of folks who want to provide their families a decent holiday celebration.

Many of our banks here in the USA offer Christmas Club programs. Customers make regular payments throughout the year (or have it taken directly out of their pay), and the bank pays interest. A couple of advantages are that these accounts are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, so that there is virtually no chance of losing one's money, and the accounts pay a modest amount of interest (if there is an emergency and funds are withdrawn early, the interest if forfeited, which provides a mild discouragement for early withdrawals). Seems like a better program than the hamper scheme. I favor any program that encourages folks to think about saving and/or investing.

flashy 21-11-2006 15:53

all i can say is i'm glad ive only got one child, i really feel for the people who have more than one and have lost all there money

entwisi 21-11-2006 19:23

Quick update for you, found teh following info

http://www.findel.co.uk/corpsocresp.htm

Gayle 21-11-2006 19:27

Findel own Express Gifts as well.

entwisi 21-11-2006 19:28

yep, rather a strange tale as to how I found that link

thomas3.16 21-11-2006 19:30

i saw in the sun today that they were giving some money to the people who lost out on there xmas savings...its just a shame that it had to happen....
will have to start stuffing the matress all year instead

Doug 21-11-2006 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 338083)
Quick update for you, found teh following info

http://www.findel.co.uk/corpsocresp.htm

I wonder if they had Corporate Social Responsibility and the environment in mind when they built that monstrosity.

Doug 21-11-2006 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas3.16 (Post 338089)
i saw in the sun today that they were giving some money to the people who lost out on there xmas savings...its just a shame that it had to happen....
will have to start stuffing the matress all year instead

I use to stuff the mattress, I would slip a fiver or tenner under every week, it took me three months to realise that she had been stripping the bed each week.........:( :o

Ianto.W. 21-11-2006 19:39

[quote]will have to start stuffing the matress all year instead[quote]Makes more sense than risking it with Farepak, were money is concerned you can not trust anyone.

shillelagh 21-11-2006 22:44

How many banks will take £2 over the counter? Not many you have to have minimum deposit. I've said it before Credit unions will take any amount of money up to a certain amount. You will get paid a dividend as well. The thing is credit unions are under the guiding thumb of the FSA so your money is safe. They also do loans and there is one in Hyndburn now because Haslingden & Helmshore Credit Union extended their boundary and became the HHH Credit Union - Haslingden, Helmshore and Hyndburn Credit Union. You save as much as you want when you want and you can also get loans. Thats how i used to pay my car insurance - because you had to pay extra to pay by direct debit so i'd get a loan and pay it up front and then pay it back over the year. I know the Credit Unions in Rossendale if you have been affected by Farepak if you take the details that you had with you to the credit union they will offer you a loan to tide you over christmas.

Mancie 22-11-2006 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 338320)
How many banks will take £2 over the counter? Not many you have to have minimum deposit. I've said it before Credit unions will take any amount of money up to a certain amount. You will get paid a dividend as well. The thing is credit unions are under the guiding thumb of the FSA so your money is safe. They also do loans and there is one in Hyndburn now because Haslingden & Helmshore Credit Union extended their boundary and became the HHH Credit Union - Haslingden, Helmshore and Hyndburn Credit Union. You save as much as you want when you want and you can also get loans. Thats how i used to pay my car insurance - because you had to pay extra to pay by direct debit so i'd get a loan and pay it up front and then pay it back over the year. I know the Credit Unions in Rossendale if you have been affected by Farepak if you take the details that you had with you to the credit union they will offer you a loan to tide you over christmas.

nice to see some useful and positive info shillelagh.

entwisi 23-11-2006 13:23

Found teh following info

Barclays donates to Farepak fund

23 November 2006

Following the collapse of Christmas savings firm Farepak earlier this month, Barclays has donated £250,000 to the Farepak Response Fund as a gesture of goodwill.

Customers who paid money to Farepak using their Barclays or Woolwich debit card or Barclaycard can make a claim to get their money back through the various industry-wide chargeback schemes.

So far Barclays has refunded more than £15,000 to customers.

Cardholders who have a claim are advised to call these numbers:

Barclays Debit Card holders - 01604 254689
Woolwich Debit Card holders - 0870 166 0060
Barclaycard holders - 0870 1540154

baldy 23-11-2006 13:28

Woolworths have donated £50,000 going towards some kind of "compensation" for the farepak customers

flashy 23-11-2006 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldy (Post 339299)
Woolworths have donated £50,000 going towards some kind of "compensation" for the farepak customers

and so have many other companies,but we won't be getting anything before xmas, which is when its needed :(