Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Mid-life Crisis? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/mid-life-crisis-27420.html)

Wynonie Harris 06-01-2007 20:43

Mid-life Crisis?

This is a question for the more senior members. Have any of you ever had a mid-life crisis and, if so, what form did it take? Buying a Harley-Davidson? Running off with a younger woman/bloke? Going to Brazil to become a saxophone player?

The reason I ask is that I reckon I've hit my own mid-life crisis. In fact, I wouldn't exactly call it a "crisis" and it's not as drastic as any of the above. I reckon I've hit on the roots of it, too. When I was 13, I wanted to grease my hair up into an Elvis-style quiff and wear snazzy rock 'n' roll-style shirts and brothel creepers. Sadly, my mum and dad said "no".

When I was old enough to suit myself, things had moved on to the mod/hippie era and, so, that particular ambition sank to the back of my mind...until 42 years later.

A few months ago, I began to grow my number four crop out until it reached the stage where I could apply the Brylcreem and sculpt it into a reasonable approximation of a 50's style. A few weeks later, I bought a rather eye-catching blue and black shirt with the legend "The Blue Flame Lounge" and a large illustration of a semi-clad young lady in a champagne glass on the back. Today, I bought a pair of blue suede brothel creepers.

I know what you're thinking and you're quite right - I probably do look a right idiot in this get-up at the age of 55, but something else has changed in my mental outlook and that is - I really couldn't care less what anybody else thinks.

Has anyone else gone through the disturbing, but liberating experience they call a mid-life crisis?

cashman 06-01-2007 20:59

Re: Mid-life Crisis?

in a way i suppose i have about 5 years ago i got to the sod it stage and thought what have i always wanted to do, not really dramatic but had always wanted to do the Mardi Gras in New Orleans, did it,was so brilliant went back the year after also visiting Memphis,Nashville,etc have always been a music freak and that was heaven to me, only thing is i aint grown out of it lol and continue to this day,going where i want,when i want,when i can.after losing my first missus,just came to the conclusion, this aint no rehearsal, this is the only time your here,so buggar it,wynonie,you go for it mate.;)

WillowTheWhisp 06-01-2007 21:07

Like the old Kristofferson song - "I'd rather be sorry for something I've done than for something that I didn't do.

maxwell silver 06-01-2007 21:17

Iv'e been going through a m.l c since i got wed at 21:eek: Feel guilty about some things,but the missus has been very understanding & i love her more for it (or do i):confused: Had Areal blow out when i hit 30,12 months of sex,drugs & rock & roll,but eventually realised it was a repeat of 10 years or so earlier,except i had a young son at home & a reality check was needed.I looked liked i'd aged 10 years in 12 months:eek: Does that make sense?Is that too much info,iv'e had a few;)

jambutty 06-01-2007 21:22

A bit young to become a geriatric Wynonie Harris but welcome to the “I couldn’t care less how I dress” club anyway.

Now you need to get yourself a walking stick, not to use to help you walk but to stand at your front door waving it in the air and threatening kids playing in the street. You will need to master that art and also learn by heart words like “young whippersnapper, cheeky monkey, make a noise somewhere else etc.” Better still write them down on a piece of paper and put it in your pocket so that you can refer to it when you forget what you should be shouting.

You will also need to master the art of walking along and blocking everyone from passing you, especially in supermarkets. It annoys the hell out of people. Don’t forget to dawdle at the checkouts. Fumbling in your wallet whilst muttering to yourself is always useful.

Try to remember that from now on you will start to forget little things yet will remember quite clearly what you had to eat on your fifth birthday and who came to the party.

I’ve forgot what I was going to type next!!!!

Doug 06-01-2007 21:36

I started mine at 39 and I’m still trying to find myself at 47. Ask yourself if it matters what others think? Your 55, live your life, have fun and enjoy. If you don’t do it now you might end up stinking of pee or worse.

Wynonie Harris 06-01-2007 22:29

Yeah, well, I reckon you lot are right. As long as it doesn't hurt your loved ones, go for it and sod what anybody else thinks. I just hope you feel the same way, Doug, when a short-arsed, ageing, "Happy Days" reject in a Stanley shirt turns up to buy you a pint in that pub in Milton Keynes in three months' time! ;)

cashman 06-01-2007 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 362379)
Yeah, well, I reckon you lot are right. As long as it doesn't hurt your loved ones, go for it and sod what anybody else thinks. I just hope you feel the same way, Doug, when a short-arsed, ageing, "Happy Days" reject in a Stanley shirt turns up to buy you a pint in that pub in Milton Keynes in three months' time! ;)

a mid life crisis is all well and good wyn,but keep away from them plastic cows in MK.:D

katex 06-01-2007 22:50

No such thing as mid-life crisis .. only about fashion and buying a Harley when you older, etc., why should we succumb to M & S boring shirts, dresses, etc., this is our time folks !! ... naffs me off when we say 'in my time' .. for heaven's sake .. this is our time !!! Enjoy ... !

garinda 06-01-2007 22:57

Way to go Wynonie!

Livin' the dream.

We're a long time dead.

You go for it.

I went a bit rebelious, but that was in the Middle Ages, when I started slashing the hose worn under my tunic.:D

SPUGGIE J 07-01-2007 08:09

WH if you consider it a possible mid life crissis then teens are gonna die very young as they have the same problem every weekend. ;) If you are happy with it then that is all that matters so go with it and dress the way you feel. Dont believe there is such a thing as a mid life crissis untill you reach 65 and get told your are now retired. :)

Wynonie Harris 07-01-2007 08:24

I reckon "crisis" is totally the wrong word for it! As I sit here, bopping in my chair with Chuck Berry on maximum volume, I've got to say I feel fine and dandy (despite yesterday's result). Just about to comb my quiff, slip into my creepers and rock on down to Tesco's. As someone once said, "I was so much older then, I'm so much younger now". :cool:

glasgow guy 07-01-2007 08:32

my gaffer is currently going through his just now...he turned 40 just before christams and was nearly in tears (seriously) at thought of being that age and hows 'its all down hill') ...he now dresses like someone 15 years younger and takes part in enduro bike race things to prove he can still do them..quite amusing at times but also quite sad in a way...

KIPAX 07-01-2007 08:48

I know the obvious is old man in sports car.. but so does everyone else... and it aint good... I was watching my son play football and the only bloke.. in a group of around 8 women we stood together and you can clearly see the rd from where we stood... along comes a sports car and out pops a bloke... couldnt guess but over 50., one women says "nice midlife crisis car" and they all bursr out laughing.. women of all ages.... they knew and they where not kind... he couldnt hear them.. but no matter how much money I get I wont be buying a sports car ever... not after what I heard..

Ianto.W. 07-01-2007 10:59

It's time to start wondering about mid-life crisis, when your children are going through it.