Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Ancient Relics! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ancient-relics-28667.html)

jambutty 22-02-2007 13:26

Ancient Relics!

One of the joys of listening to the wireless instead of ogling that box in the corner is that you can hear some very interesting debates and phone ins.

During the Ken Bruce show this morning listeners were invited to phone in and name an object that they had that was still in use but should have been pensioned off years ago.

One lady rang in to praise her mother’s or was it her grandmother’s smoothing iron. The type that did not have a thermostat and when it got too hot you had to unplug it from the mains. Those types of iron were very good for making toast but it did make a mess of the face of the iron.

So forum members what artefact have you got from yesteryear that you still use today? I think that we should exclude furniture.

Apart from the most ancient object in my flat – me – I have a shoe/boot polishing brush. It belonged to my dad and he got it in a Red Cross parcel whilst he was interned in a German prisoner of war camp for the duration of WWII. So that makes it between 62 and 67 years old.

jedimaster 22-02-2007 13:46

Re: Ancient Relics!

and there was me expecting a debate about some accywebbers lol.

grannyclaret 22-02-2007 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster (Post 386944)
and there was me expecting a debate about some accywebbers lol.

oy you buggerlugs :)

WillowTheWhisp 22-02-2007 14:20

I've got my Grandad's old tie press. No idea how old it is but he died 50 years ago so it's at least 50 years old.

garinda 22-02-2007 14:37

I've got loads of stuff. My pans were a wedding present to my Grandparents in the '30's. My bread knife belonged to my great Granny. My handkerchiefs were my Grandpa's. My dinner suit was my great Grandad's, and is still kept in the original cover, with the bill attached from when it was bought in Manchester in 1912. I also have a tiara that was my great Aunt's, that can be worn as a necklace, bought I don't have much chance to wear it, so my Mum has it.

Infact it would take me less time to list anything I have that is new.:D

WillowTheWhisp 22-02-2007 14:39

I've got a coathanger from a tailor's in Wellington, Shropshire which I think was my great Grandad's!

garinda 22-02-2007 14:40

My shoe cleaning brush also belonged to my great Grandad, that he had when he was in the Boar War.

They don't make things like they used to.:D

entwisi 22-02-2007 14:55

I've a long brush that belonged to my Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great grandad. Its had 200 new handles and 100 new brush heads :D

WillowTheWhisp 22-02-2007 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 386981)
My shoe cleaning brush also belonged to my great Grandad, that he had when he was in the Boar War.

They don't make things like they used to.:D

That reminded me of one of my ancient relatives who used to start long winded sagas with "During the bowah wowah..."

cashman 23-02-2007 10:57

didn,t think i had any- then i looked in the mirror.

Mick 23-02-2007 11:07

When we lived in Preston we found a flintlock pistol in the garden.
it was from the battle of Preston cromwell and the roundheads .
we gave it to the museum though
we also have some negatives on glass plate of the 1902 preston guild .
my grandfather took.
i also have the wife i married 33 years ago:hidewall:

SPUGGIE J 23-02-2007 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 387316)
When we lived in Preston we found a flintlock pistol in the garden.
it was from the battle of Preston cromwell and the roundheads .
we gave it to the museum though
we also have some negatives on glass plate of the 1902 preston guild .
my grandfather took.
i also have the wife i married 33 years ago:hidewall:

Do mother in laws count as old relics?????

panther 23-02-2007 12:20

LOL@spuggie:rofl38:

gonna say does my other half count?
then again he younger than me:eek: :bingobang

SPUGGIE J 23-02-2007 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 387361)
LOL@spuggie:rofl38:

gonna say does my other half count?
then again he younger than me:eek: :bingobang

Well if he is a toyboy then its a case of an antique for the future. ;)

LancYorkYankee 23-02-2007 18:47

I've helped my brother-in-law metal detect for Civil War relics around here. He has found alot of bullets, buttons, and a Confederate States Army (CSA) belt buckle on an old farm in town. Also dicscovered an old "freedman's" (former slave) cemetary in the woods near my house.

Has about 17 grave sites (marked by just a rock for a headstone) uncovered so far. Actually was able to find an old black man who's relatives were buried there.

Brian