Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Drinking age to 21? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/drinking-age-to-21-a-30010.html)

andrewb 15-04-2007 19:43

Drinking age to 21?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6551887.stm

What a load of rubbish.

If there were actual consequences to underaged going in bars/clubs/pubs or buying alcohol from newsagents, there would be a hell of a lot less under-age drinkers.

The amount of people I see around town who are clearly underage, especially girls who dress themselves up and somehow get passed the bouncers.. I mean.. its still going to happen exactly the same if we raise it to 21 because the law still won't be enforced.

grego 15-04-2007 19:49

Re: Drinking age to 21?

I agree I think it will be difficult to enforce, though they do well in the States.

entwisi 15-04-2007 20:12

you youngsters shouldn't be let near alcohol, you blame it for all sorts of things happening :D

SamF 15-04-2007 20:22

Totally agree, try enforcing the current laws before you go about changing them.

accymel 15-04-2007 20:25

Ah so that would mean more nights of peed up teens pratting about drunk to the eyeballs on the street, annoying & disturbing the peace like last night & the cops were next to useless no in fact useless upholding the law as it is with these lot never mind the 18-20 bracket!!! :(

lancsdave 15-04-2007 20:31

I'm not against the age being raised however like people have said it needs to be enforced.

What do you do though with all the adults these days who are over 21 and act like animals when they have had a few Wicked's :confused:

Ianto.W. 15-04-2007 20:50

If they are fit enough to bear arms at 18 years for their country, and die for their pains, they should be afforded the small comforts that go with them.

WillowTheWhisp 15-04-2007 20:58

Excellent point Ianto. The age of attaining adulthood is either 18 or it isn't. It should be 18 for everything.

Eric 15-04-2007 21:55

Anyone here really have to worry about the drinking age anymore? Who like me has International ID, grey hair? I remember buying my first pint of Thwaites' in a pub called the Village Blacksmith in Clayton. I was 14. The effect was spoiled when my grandad walked in, called me a silly young ******, and bought me another pint.

Eric 15-04-2007 21:55

Oops, it was Dutton's.

LancYorkYankee 15-04-2007 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 411518)
Anyone here really have to worry about the drinking age anymore? Who like me has International ID, grey hair? I remember buying my first pint of Thwaites' in a pub called the Village Blacksmith in Clayton. I was 14. The effect was spoiled when my grandad walked in, called me a silly young ******, and bought me another pint.

Some of our kids are affected by these types of laws. I've got a 17 year old and 14 year old. As the drinking age is, and has been 21 for awhile, I don;'t have to worry much. However. I also know if they want, any kid 15 and above can still get alcohol quite easily.

I don't agree with the 21 age and allow my kids to drink some of my beer, lager, and/or ale. That gets rid of any curiosity they may have with it.

Finally, I am now 46 but got "carded" while down in South Carolina. I didn't know if I should be annoyed or happy!

Brian

panther 16-04-2007 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyfr (Post 411466)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6551887.stm

What a load of rubbish.

If there were actual consequences to underaged going in bars/clubs/pubs or buying alcohol from newsagents, there would be a hell of a lot less under-age drinkers.

The amount of people I see around town who are clearly underage, especially girls who dress themselves up and somehow get passed the bouncers.. I mean.. its still going to happen exactly the same if we raise it to 21 because the law still won't be enforced.

i take it your under 21:rolleyes:
im not bothered, im over 21:D
you teenagers cant take your booze:rolleyes:

Riq 16-04-2007 12:00

I have nothing to worry about, I still get ID'd everywhere and I'm 23. My friends think it's funny, but just wait until we are 35 and I still look 25!! :D

I think raising the age limit will ruin the unversity experience anyway, that's half (read: almost all) the fun of it!!!

Alot of pubs will close down no doubt in studenty areas.

AccyMad 16-04-2007 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 411518)

Slightly off subject here Eric, but was that the pub on Bayley Street in Clayton - I'd almost forgotten about it

yerself 16-04-2007 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad
was that the pub on Bayley Street in Clayton

That's the one. The Bottom Club was at the end of the street.