Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Organ Donation (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/organ-donation-32248.html)

mickmc 17-07-2007 11:44

Organ Donation

Currently on the BBC that the Chief Medical Officer wants to change the UK system, so that unless you have actively opted out of it, you are presumed to be a donor.

Whats your thoughts guys ????

As a card carrying person who has also registered the fact online and crucially informed my family of my wishes, I welcome the idea

Most people when asked say " oh yes I would donate" - but then do nothing about it, like getting the card or registering online

At least this way they will be donaters unless they actively reject the idea

The facts are staggering

7.5 thousand people urgently waiting for transplant - 400 people will die this year whilst waiting - and another 20,000 people on Dyalisis

harwood red 17-07-2007 11:52

Re: Organ Donation

I agree and also am registered and carry the card but as you said most importantly is that you instill how important that this is what you want to your next of kin...

definately think the opt out register would be a better idea aswell.

Too many people are dying who could have been saved by these vital operations..

If you're not sure then just imagine it is one of your loved ones waiting for a transplant but yet more likely to die waiting

jimmi5bellies 17-07-2007 12:00

I am a registered donor.
Apparantly at the scene of my accident i kept on coming around screeming for my purse. I just kept on having the feeling that if i died and didnt have my purse on me they wouldnt have known i was on the donors list.

My fella honestly thought it was because i didnt trust him with my money but that wasnt the case. ..... silly man, lol.

entwisi 17-07-2007 13:04

I registered online as well and agree it should definately be opt out rather than opt in.

garinda 17-07-2007 13:46

I think it would be a much better ststem if people had to opt out.

Anyone is welcome to anything of mine once I'm a gonner.

jambutty 17-07-2007 13:46

I’m registered at UMIST and have been for about 20 years but don’t carry a card. However all my family knows that when I part this mortal coil, they can take whatever bits of me would be useful to someone else and then just burn the rest.

After all my body is just a shell for me and once I’m gone the body is of no use, so someone else might as well use what they can.

So I support the CMO’s suggestion 100%.

lindsay ormerod 17-07-2007 17:19

I think it's a great idea, I am registered for any bits that maybe of use to anyone else, it's not gonna hurt is it ! Opting out would be a lot better option as folk won't get off their butts to do it and so will be helping by their complacency ! I like it !

WillowTheWhisp 17-07-2007 17:54

Yes I support the opting out idea too. Once I'm gone I won't be needing whatever is left.

entwisi 17-07-2007 17:55

If it starts hurting Lindsay I'd take that as good news! :D

grego 17-07-2007 18:34

I think its a good idea, I carry a card but haven't registered online though I intend to.

shillelagh 17-07-2007 20:13

I registered as soon as it came out. I did use to carry a donor card with me since i was 18 but i lost that and when i wanted another one they said to register and give me all the forms so i did it that way. I also wear a sos talisman and i have written it in there that im a registered donor.

ANNE 17-07-2007 23:08

I registered on line. I think it's a good idea to make it so that people should opt out rather than the other way round.
Some recently bereaved people find it to hard to talk about things like that in their grief.

panther 18-07-2007 08:58

totally agree, but years ago i would have said no, because the thought of cutting you open and taking it all and then just shoving the other bits back in, put me right off, but now i think everyone should be a donor, afterall they'll be no good to you!
and someone out there has a chance!:D
so register if you havent all ready at....... https://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/RegistrationForm.do