Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   You're not even safe on the pavement! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/youre-not-even-safe-on-the-pavement-34900.html)

WillowTheWhisp 17-11-2007 18:30

You're not even safe on the pavement!

Well this chap wasn't yesterday in Blackburn! At least they've arrested the driver.

jambutty 17-11-2007 19:30

Re: You're not even safe on the pavement!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 494987)
Well this chap wasn't yesterday in Blackburn! At least they've arrested the driver.

He was lucky.

He might have been killed by a cyclist.

Eric 17-11-2007 19:35

Now I get it .... damn these language differences. In Canada the pavement is the road and people walk on the sidewalk.

jambutty 17-11-2007 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 495039)
Now I get it .... damn these language differences. In Canada the pavement is the road and people walk on the sidewalk.

You lot and the Yanks corrupted the English language, so you can’t blame us.

We have a road for vehicles and a pavement (sidewalk to you) for pedestrians.

grannyclaret 17-11-2007 20:58

Its annoying when cars are parked on nearly all pavement because they are on double yellow lines,, surely its still an offence,,And now we have to contend with looney drivers as well...:mad::mad::mad:

Eric 19-11-2007 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 495065)
You lot and the Yanks corrupted the English language, so you can’t blame us.

We have a road for vehicles and a pavement (sidewalk to you) for pedestrians.

I think that it was Oscar Wilde who said, "We have everything in common with the Americans but language.":D

emamum 19-11-2007 12:16

thats when you can use the pavement... i took the twins out the other day, in the double buggy and i kept having to walk in the road because cars were parked on the pavement... i know the buggy is big but i couldnt have got a single through some of the gaps...

WillowTheWhisp 19-11-2007 13:04

It's the same for people in wheelchairs too. I have a friend who uses an electric one and got stranded one day because someone had parked on the pavement between her leaving the house and heading back. These people just don't think.

Stanaccy 19-11-2007 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 495630)
I think that it was Oscar Wilde who said, "We have everything in common with the Americans but language.":D

It was George Bernard Shaw and he said England and America are two countries divided by a common language. (sorry it's the pedant in me :D)

lancsdave 19-11-2007 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 495680)
It's the same for people in wheelchairs too. I have a friend who uses an electric one and got stranded one day because someone had parked on the pavement between her leaving the house and heading back. These people just don't think.

If somebody winds my Dad up by parking on the pavement when he is out in his scooter and it's a tight fit he tends to check what change he has in his pocket, or on one occasion he had to check the keys on his keyring :rolleyes::)

Eric 20-11-2007 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanaccy (Post 495806)
It was George Bernard Shaw and he said England and America are two countries divided by a common language. (sorry it's the pedant in me :D)

Nothing wrong with pedantry, it keeps conversation going at boring parties:D