Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Light Bulbs (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/light-bulbs-35963.html)

thomas.lee 06-01-2008 16:02

Light Bulbs

Ive heard its against the law to throw faulty/old light bulbs in the bin?.. So what does one do about disposing of one? Same for batteries..

Neil 06-01-2008 16:11

Re: Light Bulbs

You throw them in the bin until HBC provide something else. Standard light bulbs are only glass and metal, the fluorescent and low energy ones are supposed to be disposed of correctly though because of the fluorescent powder and mercury in them.

panther 06-01-2008 17:44

iv always thrown my bulbs in the bin...where else should we put them?
think the council need to sort summat out with the energy bulbs though, dont like the mercury bit:(

flashy 06-01-2008 18:01

same here panther, mine are usually smashed anyway, so do we seperate them and put them into different recycle bins?

park381 06-01-2008 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 513401)
You throw them in the bin until HBC provide something else. Standard light bulbs are only glass and metal, the fluorescent and low energy ones are supposed to be disposed of correctly though because of the fluorescent powder and mercury in them.

Any low energy or fluorescent lamps should be taken back to the place you purchased them from, for them to dispose of in the correct manner.

See Part 5
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations
Distributor Obligations and Rights:WEEE From Private Households

http://www.weeecare.com/documents/file35992.pdf

cashman 06-01-2008 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by park381 (Post 513494)
Any low energy or fluorescent lamps should be taken back to the place you purchased them from, for them to dispose of in the correct manner.

See Part 5
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations
Distributor Obligations and Rights:WEEE From Private Households

http://www.weeecare.com/documents/file35992.pdf

that may be the case, but i sure as hell aint trailing back to wherever i purchased em from, n if i was i cant remember now anyway.:tongueout

Neil 06-01-2008 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 513451)
same here panther, mine are usually smashed anyway, so do we seperate them and put them into different recycle bins?

Don't smash them Shaz, the powder inside them is nasty stuff. You don't want you or Reece inhailing it.

WillowTheWhisp 06-01-2008 20:41

If you accidentally break one you should sweep it up carefully using a damp cloth - don't vac it up because that gets the particles circulating in the air.

These flippin things could end up being more of a liability than ordinary light bulbs and HBC (along with other councils) need to sort out safe disposal methods as they do with fridges and TVs etc.

flashy 06-01-2008 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 513564)
Don't smash them Shaz, the powder inside them is nasty stuff. You don't want you or Reece inhailing it.

Neil i didnt mean that I smash them, i'm so heavy handed that they usually break in my hand when i'm taking them out

Bonnyboy 06-01-2008 20:51

I’ll just keep throwing my bulbs, energy saving or not, into the bin until the Council sort out a disposal method. The fluorescent/strip light in the kitchen, if it stops working, will be taken to the tip when I have my summer clearouts.

park381 07-01-2008 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 513545)
that may be the case, but i sure as hell aint trailing back to wherever i purchased em from, n if i was i cant remember now anyway.:tongueout

It's your choice, to help protect the environment or not :mosher:

entwisi 07-01-2008 07:50

How does that work then, we are forced to buy these things that contain more dodgy metals and chemicals than I don't know what and whatever 'energy' we saved in their use is totally wasted in the disposal of the sodding things.

Its a bit like those green electric cars, Where the heck does the sodding eleccy comefrom to recharge them!

Having said all that, unless the Americans, Chinese and Indian sub continent stop sucking all the planets resources everything western europe does is a pee in the wind.

WillowTheWhisp 07-01-2008 07:54

Oooh karma coming Ian! :D

park381 07-01-2008 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 513764)
unless the Americans, Chinese and Indian sub continent stop sucking all the planets resources everything western europe does is a pee in the wind.

I will agee with that comment

cashman 07-01-2008 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by park381 (Post 513753)
It's your choice, to help protect the environment or not :mosher:

too right it is,when the so called "powers" get serious, i will.:rolleyes: