Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Another Way to Get Rid Of Hyndburn (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/another-way-to-get-rid-of-hyndburn-36444.html)

lancsdave 24-01-2008 21:51

Another Way to Get Rid Of Hyndburn

Could this be the start of something bigger ? ;

HYNDBURN'S troubled leisure centres are set to be managed by Blackburn with Darwen Council in a bid to overcome debt problems.

Council To Run Neighbours Leisure Services (from Lancashire Telegraph)

WillowTheWhisp 24-01-2008 21:56

Re: Another Way to Get Rid Of Hyndburn

How long before Accrington and Districts becomes part of Blackburn and Districts? Well PB wouldn't be able to complain that no-one knows where it is!

garinda 24-01-2008 21:58

I hope they don't stop booking the first rate licky-likey tribute acts at the Civic Theatre, that pass for culture in Hyndburn.:D

shillelagh 24-01-2008 22:03

How did they let them get in so much debt? What was the trusts board doing? Did they not have the backing of the council and was the council not keeping an eye on them. The Council should have been keeping an eye on them to make sure that they shouldnt get in so much debt.

garinda 24-01-2008 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 521676)
How did they let them get in so much debt? What was the trusts board doing? Did they not have the backing of the council and was the council not keeping an eye on them. The Council should have been keeping an eye on them to make sure that they shouldnt get in so much debt.

Perhaps because it isn't in Accrington, and has Hyndburn in it's name, they didn't know where it was.:D

WillowTheWhisp 24-01-2008 22:13

:rofl38:

OOoh you are awful!

shillelagh 24-01-2008 22:18

They are a 'Trust' that means the route is open for them to apply for grants etc that they couldnt apply for when it was council owned so why didnt they apply for them?

garinda 24-01-2008 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 521698)
They are a 'Trust' that means the route is open for them to apply for grants etc that they couldnt apply for when it was council owned so why didnt they apply for them?

Come off it, what do you expect?

They got a government funded grant of £700,000 to start that great community website Hyndburn Life....and wasted it.

(Rindy departs to post on Hyndburn Life, before he realises it isn't there anymore.):D

shillelagh 24-01-2008 22:30

wrong hyndburn life is still there - just not got a forum to post on anymore!!!

Gayle 25-01-2008 09:00

What worries me most is that Blackburn with Darwen will always have its own interests at heart. Imagine for a moment that they do some research which shows that people from Hyndburn are prepared to travel to Blackburn for a swim - there would then be no need to keep the sports centre open? Imagine too that the theatre in Ossy is not doing very well, well why not make everyone go to Blackburn to King George's or Thwaites?

garinda 25-01-2008 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 521777)
What worries me most is that Blackburn with Darwen will always have its own interests at heart. Imagine for a moment that they do some research which shows that people from Hyndburn are prepared to travel to Blackburn for a swim - there would then be no need to keep the sports centre open? Imagine too that the theatre in Ossy is not doing very well, well why not make everyone go to Blackburn to King George's or Thwaites?

Which of course has happened in education, for those wishing to study for A-levels.

I think there would be virtually no support for a full amalgamation with Blackburn/Darwen.

shillelagh 25-01-2008 16:08

From what i can remember delving back into the mists of time - they cant amalgamate because Blackburn and Darwen are an Unitary Authority. Hyndburn council is part of Lancashire county council. Now i may be wrong but there was something about the sizing of it.

Reading that about offering the trust to other councils to run - can hyndburn not run their own facilities. I wonder if they offered it Rossendale.....our trust at the minute isnt doing to bad could be better but mainly doing our best with the facilities we have.

lancsdave 25-01-2008 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 521837)
I think there would be virtually no support for a full amalgamation with Blackburn/Darwen.

I'd move back out of the area :)

Gayle 25-01-2008 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 521908)
From what i can remember delving back into the mists of time - they cant amalgamate because Blackburn and Darwen are an Unitary Authority. Hyndburn council is part of Lancashire county council. Now i may be wrong but there was something about the sizing of it.

Reading that about offering the trust to other councils to run - can hyndburn not run their own facilities. I wonder if they offered it Rossendale.....our trust at the minute isnt doing to bad could be better but mainly doing our best with the facilities we have.

From what I understand, it wasn't 'offered' just to Blackburn and Darwen! It was put out to tender and presumably Blackburn with Darwen applied. I have no idea whether Rossendale put in a proposal or not.

Nickelson 25-01-2008 16:26

why not become part of blackburn.At least PB would **** off.