Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Britannia Sacked. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/britannia-sacked-36647.html)

garinda 01-02-2008 18:29

Re: Britannia Sacked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 525373)
Because most people are ignorant of our history before the romans and misquidedly think she is nationally symbolic

I bet our 'Britanny' would win that French Marianne in a fight any day.:D

garinda 01-02-2008 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 525381)
I am all for people learning their history (celtic history is my hobby)
BUT AT LEAST GET IT RIGHT!!!!!!!

Are they getting it wrong?

I was always taught that Boudicca, Queen of the Iceni, was the inspiration for the image of Britannia.

MargaretR 01-02-2008 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 525383)
Are they getting it wrong?

I was always taught that Boudicca, Queen of the Iceni, was the inspiration for the image of Britannia.

Yes - and we were Brigantes - our queen was Cartimandua

Now why should an Essex girl be as revered as the German housewife :D

garinda 01-02-2008 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 525385)
Yes - and we were Brigantes - our queen was Cartimandua

Now why should an Essex girl be as revered as the German housewife :D

According to this she was from the wrong side of the Pennines, in which case you can genuflect infront of her alone. I'll stick with the Essex girl.:D

United Kingdom Heads of State with pictures

steeljack 01-02-2008 18:45

Seem to remember when I was a youngster it was a bit of kids game to allways look thru any pile of 'old' pennies to see if you could find an Honolulu penny ( On her Lulu) it featured Britannia holding her trident in an 'unseemly' position, seems the coins were only struck for a couple of years . :eek: :eek:

garinda 01-02-2008 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 525397)
Seem to remember when I was a youngster it was a bit of kids game to allways look thru any pile of 'old' pennies to see if you could find an Honolulu penny ( On her Lulu) it featured Britannia holding her trident in an 'unseemly' position, seems the coins were only struck for a couple of years . :eek: :eek:

Was that Lulu, ancient Queen of the Gorbals?:D

MargaretR 01-02-2008 18:53

We Brigantes rebelled too
Romans in Britain - The Brigantian uprising
but we were not near enough to sack Colchester and Londinium, which has elevated Boudicca to the mythological grandeur she now has, as a symbol of resistance to the invaders.

garinda 01-02-2008 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 525406)
We Brigantes rebelled too
Romans in Britain - The Brigantian uprising
but we were not near enough to sack Colchester and Londinium, which has elevated Boudicca to the mythological grandeur she now has, as a symbol of resistance to the invaders.

I'm from Welsh/French Celtic stock myself, so I'm not really interested in the Brigants, or Johnnie-come-latelys, as I prefer to call them.:D

Gayle 01-02-2008 18:56

As long as it's still valid currency, I really don't care that much what's on it.

There are a few 50ps going around that don't have Britannia on at the moment, I think they have a design for when we hosted the Commonwealth games (although I could be wrong about the occasion so I'll try to find a 50p to illustrate).

garinda 01-02-2008 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 525409)
As long as it's still valid currency, I really don't care that much what's on it.

There are a few 50ps going around that don't have Britannia on at the moment, I think they have a design for when we hosted the Commonwealth games (although I could be wrong about the occasion so I'll try to find a 50p to illustrate).

Here you go.:)
Fifty pence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

harwood red 01-02-2008 19:00

there's absolutely loads of different designs on recent 50p's

MargaretR 01-02-2008 19:01

See!!!!- you are getting sentimental about something which is not historically accurate anyway

Wynonie Harris 01-02-2008 19:06

Greg Pope and his fellow Europhiles must love controversies like this.

Gordon Brown has just taken us further along the road to a European superstate by signing the "revised" Euopean Treaty, while breaking the promise his government made to us to give us a referendum on it...and all we can worry about is symbols on coins.

In another 10 years time when we're just another province of the United States of Europe, will Britannia seem quite so important? :rolleyes:

MargaretR 01-02-2008 19:12

My research into ancient british history reveals that the celtic tribes had migrated from Europe and were later joined by vikings and then anglo-saxons
So WE are descended from european immigrants :D

Special report: 'Myths of British ancestry' by Stephen Oppenheimer | Prospect Magazine October 2006 issue 127

jambutty 01-02-2008 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 525423)
My research into ancient british history reveals that the celtic tribes had migrated from Europe and were later joined by vikings and then anglo-saxons
So WE are descended from european immigrants :D

Special report: 'Myths of British ancestry' by Stephen Oppenheimer | Prospect Magazine October 2006 issue 127

Didn’t the tribes of Europe migrate from North Africa? The point I am making is that we all came from the same initial stock. So how far back do we go to establish our ancestry?

If Britannia is given the push then she should be replaced with the British Bulldog under the heel of the American Eagle. Or maybe the British Bulldog under the heel of the Brussels jackboot.

Thanks garinda. I knew that there was a 50p coin that showed a series of hands in a circle.