Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   £2 chickens (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/2-chickens-36793.html)

entwisi 06-02-2008 21:12

£2 chickens

Where do you stand on them?

buy or not buy

shakermaker 06-02-2008 21:14

Re: £2 chickens

Too much pressure on poultry producers, lots more jobs lost in the future probably.
"Every Little Kills".
Really can't abide Tesco.

Lilly 06-02-2008 21:18

Definitely would never buy a £2 chicken. If I couldn't pay the cost for one that has been treated kindly during its short life then I wouldn't bother buying one.

Doug 06-02-2008 21:18

I do buy organic free range poultry when I can get it, other wise I leave it. But I have to say that I've seen less in the supermarkets sin the programmes on the box last month.

shakermaker 06-02-2008 21:21

Children from the current generation are going to be growing up thinking chickens are born in cellophane :rolleyes:
I have great respect for people such as my girlfriend's grandfather who kills every animal he eats himself. There's no responsibility apparent in a 2 quid chicken.

jackyalex 06-02-2008 21:23

I have said no but in reality maybe i do buy cheap chicken, i buy the ready cooked ones from the supermarket and also the pre packed breast, which probably came from the same stock as the £2 chickens, thing is it doesnt say on the packet, you could pay £5.50 yet still be buying the same stock chicken

Lilly 06-02-2008 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackyalex (Post 527887)
I have said no but in reality maybe i do buy cheap chicken, i buy the ready cooked ones from the supermarket and also the pre packed breast, which probably came from the same stock as the £2 chickens, thing is it doesnt say on the packet, you could pay £5.50 yet still be buying the same stock chicken

If they are organic / free range then it will say so on the packaging.

They don't tend to print 'Battery Chicken' on the packaging of the other ones. They just don't say anything about their origin. :rolleyes:

You know what they are if they cost £2.

lancsdave 06-02-2008 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 527868)
Where do you stand on them?

Not sure about standing on them, don't you just wring their necks ? :)

blazey 06-02-2008 21:51

I rarely buy chicken but when I do I buy the free range ones. Also buy the woodland trust eggs where the chickens have lived amongst the trees during their lifetime.

Costs more than I'd like to spend but I also wouldn't like to be living in those conditions so the extra 50p - £1 doesnt bother me as much when I think of it that way.

keetah992000 06-02-2008 22:23

not a chance - i dont eat chicken anyway - so any i do buy is usually at the weekend when the kids are here - would i take my chances and give them chicken that i paid £2 for - not a chance i would rather eat a spider :D

BLACKBURN RAVER 06-02-2008 22:47

tesco !! huh, asda's yes, but they aint £2, although now i know i may just pay a visit to tesco's, at the end of the day animals are made to eat regardless of how they are bred !!!....iv'e had organic, iv'e had the expensive and the cheap (no pun intended) and i personally cant tell the diff, apart from the price,

your moaning now but if it came down to it and it was THE only thing to eat, i bet this thread wouldn't be here .....:egged:, how many kfc, mcd's chicken burgers, chicken kebabs etc have you eaten,:confused:, gaurante they aint the expensive stuff...

Bonnyboy 06-02-2008 22:53

The real cost of cheap food is disturbing, these animals live in horrendous conditions, thankfully their lives are short.

Our large food chains know all this, they know full well that corners will be cut or the bounds of legality stretched by their suppliers in order to keep the “deal” Their get out clause is that they drive prices down in the name of the customer, it’s what we want.

I want my £2 chicken and I think it can be had without resorting to cruelty, some fat cats profit margin may have to take a hit, the onus is on the big name stores to sort it out. The guilt is theirs not the everyday shopper.

If I can’t have my £2 chicken, I would give my respect to the food chain that actually had the gumption to say we cannot supply it at that price, it’s against our policy to serve animals reared in this price range.

keetah992000 06-02-2008 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER (Post 527958)

your moaning now but if it came down to it and it was THE only thing to eat, i bet this thread wouldn't be here .....:egged:, how many kfc, mcd's chicken burgers, chicken kebabs etc have you eaten,:confused:, gaurante they aint the expensive stuff...

true - but i wouldnt eat it - i cant digest it - but i can digest turkey ( how odd is that ?!?!?) but i dont eat maccy d's etc

wonder if anyone else has the same problem with chicken ??

Bonnyboy 06-02-2008 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by keetah992000 (Post 527962)
true - but i wouldnt eat it - i cant digest it - but i can digest turkey ( how odd is that ?!?!?) but i dont eat maccy d's etc

wonder if anyone else has the same problem with chicken ??

Hmmmm I actually dislike chicken, I throw it up, not sure if I can digest it or not, it’s never in there long enough to tell. Turkey though…I love it :)

davo69 06-02-2008 23:17

i buy and eat £2.00 chicken ive i cant find one for a £1.oo .