Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   death penalty? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/death-penalty-36997.html)

emamum 15-02-2008 11:10

death penalty?

In the wake of another massacre i am wondering what accywebs opinion of the death penalty is? I m a little stuck on this one since we hear so often of people being sent to prison for crimes they didnt commit..And it also seems like an easy solution and a quick release for the purpetrator, instead of rotting in jail they die, in some cases death is preferable to the lives they have.Should they not have their freedom taken from them and have to live knowing that?
I do agree that life should mean life in some cases...

Is the threat of the electric chair or hanging enough to stop the crimes being commited?

Or is death a fitting punishment for taking someones life?
Where do we draw the line?
I am thinking about Jamies Bulgers Killers, they were children themselves, now adults starting new lives... is that justice? Jamie didnt get to!

Please leave comments, I am interested in you opinions on this.

If we all took an eye for an eye, we would all be blind...........

emamum 15-02-2008 11:17

Re: death penalty?

Another question.... would you go and watch a public execution???

Madhatter 15-02-2008 11:33

Against because it's too easy to convicted for a crime you didn't commit or mean to commit.
And no I can't even bare to watch them on utube. Apparently there's some guy called ted bundy on there, I haven't looked and wouldn't.

emamum 15-02-2008 11:41

what if it was proved beyond a doubt that the person had commited the crime?
caught on cctv for example?

Benipete 15-02-2008 11:43

Voted against because there was no (in some cases) catagorie.
Some people deserve to be murdered.All cases must be judged seperately.

Dawn-of-the-Shed 15-02-2008 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23 (Post 531255)
In the wake of another massacre i am wondering what accywebs opinion of the death penalty is? I m a little stuck on this one since we hear so often of people being sent to prison for crimes they didnt commit..And it also seems like an easy solution and a quick release for the purpetrator, instead of rotting in jail they die, in some cases death is preferable to the lives they have.Should they not have their freedom taken from them and have to live knowing that?
I do agree that life should mean life in some cases...

Is the threat of the electric chair or hanging enough to stop the crimes being commited?

Or is death a fitting punishment for taking someones life?
Where do we draw the line?
I am thinking about Jamies Bulgers Killers, they were children themselves, now adults starting new lives... is that justice? Jamie didnt get to!

Please leave comments, I am interested in you opinions on this.

If we all took an eye for an eye, we would all be blind...........

.....The massacre were he killed himself! Death Penalty be out the question!

emamum 15-02-2008 11:50

yeah but i meant if he hadnt

Madhatter 15-02-2008 11:54

No emamum23 because if the crime is that bad it's too good for them. I can't think of any crime where a death penalty would be justified, but then I'm a very forgiving person. Too laid back for my own good.

Dawn-of-the-Shed 15-02-2008 12:01

I beleive in payback/karma if u hurt some one expect to be hurt back....if you go as far as killing then you should be prepared to die yourself.......sorry if you don't all agree

MITZY 15-02-2008 12:16

I am in agreement with Dawn................

pipinfort 15-02-2008 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn-of-the-Shed (Post 531269)
I beleive in payback/karma if u hurt some one expect to be hurt back....if you go as far as killing then you should be prepared to die yourself.......sorry if you don't all agree

Here Here. i completely agree:D

MikeSz 15-02-2008 13:27

Im afraid this is one of my big issues.

There is simply no excuse for the death penalty in a civilised society. Absolutely none. In all the hours of debating this I am yet to be given a pro argument that doesnt have vengeance at its root.

"Society has a right to protect itself, but it doesnt have the right to be vengeful. It has a right to punish, but it doesnt have the right to kill" (West Wing - Take this Sabbath day)

Lets not forget that the justice system is there to administer justice, not revenge and the only supporting argument for the death penalty is that it would make everyone feel better for a while. If anyone thinks it acts as a deterrent, then look at the USA, where drug kingpins and the like live their lives under the constant threat of execution, and their executions are a lot less pleasant and tend to take place without the bother and expense of due process.

One murder isnt any better than the other, and in fact, the death penalty is worse. A Murder of passion, whilst unforgivable, at least has a reason behind it - i.e. a person is unstable, acted on overwhelming emotion or pressure etc. The death penalty has none of those mitigating circumstances, its the pre-meditated ending of another human being's life - people actually sitting around in suits deciding whether to kill someone. Plainly put, state sanctioned murder.

You also lose the moral high ground. Our justice system SHOULD be tough and SHOULD set an example, it should provide genuine deterrents but it shouldnt be there to dole out vengeance and retribution.

I also dont buy this argument of "why should we pay to keep them" - the fact that our justice system is a little short sighted is no justification - there are plenty of things I could think of to do with them that will be cost neutral to the tax payer.

MikeSz 15-02-2008 13:31

By the way, countries that still use it to execute minors - Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and China. You really want to join that club?

flashy 15-02-2008 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23 (Post 531256)
Another question.... would you go and watch a public execution???

if anything ever happened to Reece (as you probably would with Tyler) i would definately go and watch just to make sure the ******** where finished off properly

i'm neither for nor against capital punishment because it has been proved in some cases that the person who was hanged/executed for the crime, didnt actual commit it

MikeSz 15-02-2008 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 531300)
if anything ever happened to Reece (as you probably would with Tyler) i would definately go and watch just to make sure the ******** where finished off properly

Dont mean to sound horrible but that simply proves my point.