Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Human-animal embryos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/human-animal-embryos-37950.html)

Bonnyboy 21-03-2008 22:01

Human-animal embryos

Brown Criticised over embryo bill

The Church are kicking up about it, the scientists involved say the research is a requirement, the Government are squabbling.

Are the Church just doing a bit of scare mongering when they talk of “Frankenstein” or do the scientists have a point ?

BERNADETTE 21-03-2008 22:07

Re: Human-animal embryos

I'm a bit stuck with this one, can see the research could maybe help with serious illnesses but just wonder if the scientists are quite as open about exactly how far they go with research.

cashman 21-03-2008 22:12

like bernie this is one area i aint too sure about, its all about will the plusses outweigh the minuses? i just dont know, leaning very slightly against.:confused:

Bonnyboy 21-03-2008 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 549905)
I'm a bit stuck with this one, can see the research could maybe help with serious illnesses but just wonder if the scientists are quite as open about exactly how far they go with research.

My immediate assumption is that all research would be fully documented but it’s not wise to assume

Bonnyboy 21-03-2008 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 549908)
like bernie this is one area i aint too sure about, its all about will the plusses outweigh the minuses? i just dont know, leaning very slightly against.:confused:

I know what you mean, it doesn’t sit comfy with me. I find the whole thing a bit “taboo”

cashman 21-03-2008 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 549909)
My immediate assumption is that all research would be fully documented but it’s not wise to assume

was it alder hey they took body parts from bodies without asking the relatives? differant thing i know,but the same in principal.

BERNADETTE 21-03-2008 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 549911)
was it alder hey they took body parts from bodies without asking the relatives? differant thing i know,but the same in principal.

Yes it was Cashy leading to bereaved parents having to have more than one funeral. Think it is stories like that which cause people to be wary of this sort of research. I also think that we are going just that bit to far, not sure that knowledge is always a positive thing if you know what I mean.

Neil 21-03-2008 22:21

We already have animal-human hybrids.
Have you never been to Burnley? ;)

Bonnyboy 21-03-2008 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 549911)

It was Alder Hey. I think Sellafield did something along the same lines, or were accused of it

Bonnyboy 21-03-2008 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 549913)

I try to avoid Burnley at all costs ;)

BERNADETTE 21-03-2008 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 549913)

Naughty:p....

cashman 21-03-2008 22:25

for anything like this,there has to be complete "Trust" in the government who authorise it. i would find it very difficult to do that, they cant even look after folks personal details.:( would also find it difficult to trust any other government.

BERNADETTE 21-03-2008 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 549918)
for anything like this,there has to be complete "Trust" in the government who authorise it. i would find it very difficult to do that, they cant even look after folks personal details.:( would also find it difficult to trust any other government.

But putting the goverment to one side would you have complete faith in the researchers?

cashman 21-03-2008 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 549920)
But putting the goverment to one side would you have complete faith in the researchers?

ya can't put the goverment to one side, at the end of the day,they will authorise n regulate it, n with their record which aint great,it will give any dodgy researcher, the oppertunity to play god thats how i see it.

keetah992000 21-03-2008 22:58

mm its a toughie - there arent any real details to be able to decide what is actually going to happen whrere are they going to get embryos from which animals etc

and i would like to know when they did the public consultaion