Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Different words,same meaning.... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/different-words-same-meaning-38643.html)

JJ_ 16-04-2008 18:22

Different words,same meaning....

Isnt it strange that although we all live in good old Blighty that we have different names for the same things, I went into a chip shop not too long ago and asked for a 'chip muffin', she looked at me very strangely and said 'huh' lol..
Coming from Bury i've always known it as a chip muffin, what different words have you come across?

emzy 16-04-2008 18:39

Re: Different words,same meaning....

In scotland its different, if you ask for a chip t-cake they would look at you strange, a t-cake has fruit in it up there. It confuses me when asking for a "chip butty" in a different town, dont know whether its a t-cake, muffin, barm cake, bap etc

JJ_ 16-04-2008 18:41

Yeah emzy i know a teacake as having fruit in it, where i live here in blackpool a barm cake is a muffin, a muffin to some is a choc muffin...

JJ_ 16-04-2008 18:42

spins the mind doesnt it lmao

West Ender 16-04-2008 20:09

A muffin is a plain tea cake but here where I live it's a barm cake and a tea cake always has sultanas in. In Durham a muffin/whatever is called a stotty cake but a bit further North, in Northumberland, it's a bap. Go to South Yorkshire/Derbyshire and it's a flour cake.

Anyway, what I want to know is - what happened to the Sally Lunn? My aunt used to bake them for her shop and I haven't seen one for donkey's years.

flashy 16-04-2008 20:10

its a bit like broth then, down south they havent a clue what it means, they think its soup

emamum 16-04-2008 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 563575)
its a bit like broth then, down south they havent a clue what it means, they think its soup

yeah, i noticed that... ty's dad is from kent and wouldnt eat broth unless i called it soup cos he ssaid he didnt like it :rolleyes:

theres dinner and tea as well...... he used to argue with about that!

flashy 16-04-2008 20:17

i know what you mean about dinner and tea, although i must admit, i call dinner lunch and tea dinner sometimes

emzy 16-04-2008 20:18

its funny, yes and no seem to have the same meaning in my house, no seems to mean yes to my boys :rolleyes:

flashy 16-04-2008 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 563589)
its funny, yes and no seem to have the same meaning in my house, no seems to mean yes to my boys :rolleyes:

that seems to be the same for all the male population, dont worry about it

cherokee 16-04-2008 20:31

I love the different meanings to things .. My ex was from yorkshire and we always had long debates about Muffins t cakes bam cakes etc .. its like crumpets . they were know as pikelets to him, whenever i went to see his family we had some weird and wonderfuls chats..

Eric 16-04-2008 20:46

So, I guess we're not talking about the kind of muffins that are made out of bran, often with raisins in, or whole wheat and carrot, or chocolate, or blueberry ... you know, the kind that you grab to go with your morning cup of mud:confused:

West Ender 16-04-2008 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 563595)
I love the different meanings to things .. My ex was from yorkshire and we always had long debates about Muffins t cakes bam cakes etc .. its like crumpets . they were know as pikelets to him, whenever i went to see his family we had some weird and wonderfuls chats..

My husband was from Bradford and he called crumpets - crumpets - but when we lived in the Midlands they called them pikelets. I always found it odd that in Bradford they call a chip shop a "fish shop" and a shop that sells fresh fish is a "wet fish shop". :confused:

flashy 16-04-2008 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 563610)
So, I guess we're not talking about the kind of muffins that are made out of bran, often with raisins in, or whole wheat and carrot, or chocolate, or blueberry ... you know, the kind that you grab to go with your morning cup of mud:confused:

muffins-t-cakes-baps-rolls are all the same thing around here, they are what you make a butty out of ;)

Eric 16-04-2008 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 563611)
My husband was from Bradford and he called crumpets - crumpets - but when we lived in the Midlands they called them pikelets. I always found it odd that in Bradford they call a chip shop a "fish shop" and a shop that sells fresh fish is a "wet fish shop". :confused:

Strange, my gran called crumpets, "Pikelets", and she was from Ossy:eek: