Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Threat to the Department of Continuing Education (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/threat-to-the-department-of-continuing-education-38992.html)

blazey 30-04-2008 16:56

Threat to the Department of Continuing Education

Hi, you might think that this is irrelevant to many of you seen as I am in Lancaster and you aren't, but I would really like to ask for your help right now.

The department of continuing education runs many schemes which help students like myself get into university through 'unconventional' methods, such as various study programs. Today there was a meeting because the jobs and courses are going to be cut as part time students are no longer seen as a value to the university in regards to business.

Many staff are having to seek new jobs after being with the department all their working lives, and courses are going to be cut short leaving many students with no qualification after years of hard work.

The department works very closely with many of Lancashire's further education institutions, and provides courses for students all over the country. Some of your children could one day benefit from one of their courses like I have, and actually receive the support many of us need in day to day life.

The department and people who are associated with it like myself are encouraging people who care about the future of the staff and students to sign a petition which is available at Lancaster University / Adult Education - Online Petition

It greatly upsets me that the woman who ran my course is now having to leave due to the uncertainty about her job stability. She's had to find a new job and now many students who were due to attend the summer course that got me my place at university will possibly miss out on this opportunity. She isn't the only member of staff who is having to find a new job because we are running out of time to do anything.

PLEASE sign the petition. It breaks my heart that this is happening when I have gained so much from the department, and we could really use the extra support.

Thanks everyone,

Michelle

Lolly 30-04-2008 17:01

Re: Threat to the Department of Continuing Education

Thats such a shame. I have signed.

BERNADETTE 30-04-2008 17:06

Yes it is a shame further education should be available to as many as possible. I have signed it.

blazey 30-04-2008 17:11

Unfortunately I was the only student my age who actually turned up to the meeting, so I am trying very hard to spread awareness through the student network.

There are many mature students on the courses that are under the most threat, and I think it is very important that we keep the doors open to students that aren't your typical 18 year old paying £3000 a year on a degree course. Variety is so very important and Lancaster is meant to be really good for accepting everyone.

I have cried about this because I do care so very dearly about it. We are going to be in the Lancaster Guardian and hopefully spread some awareness about it this way too, but we need as much regional support as we can get too!

bernie94 30-04-2008 17:16

i have signed

emamum 30-04-2008 17:19

And me..................

nikkival 30-04-2008 17:28

I've just signed it too. Many people opt for part-time courses so that they can work around school hours or work part-time as well so they can still support their family whilst in education.

cashman 30-04-2008 18:34

done n Dusted.;)

derekgas 30-04-2008 19:04

I have signed.

polly 30-04-2008 19:45

I have not signed yet but will do when I get time.

What a shame we don't have a Labour goverment - oh I forgot we do - allegedly.

Tracy J 30-04-2008 20:41

Good for you taking action on this,,,,you go girl

emzy 30-04-2008 21:20

Me signed too......

pam1 30-04-2008 21:55

me signed too...

blazey 01-05-2008 02:38

Thank you everyone who has signed so far, your names are all visible (unless anonymous) on the survey and it makes me very proud that people from accrington and the surrounding areas are putting their names to something so very important.

Just want to point out that this isn't my survey but one that the department itself has started to save their own jobs. I'm only trying to spread the message as much as possible so we get more signatures. We reached 500 online tonight, and we have hard copies floating around the university too. I am hoping (fingers crossed) that we can at least get another 250 online before its handed over, if not double and reach 1000.

Please mention it to your friends and family, we need all the support we can possibly get for this one.

mrskitty 01-05-2008 06:06

Signed xxx

p.s its 506 now :)

blazey 01-05-2008 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by misskitty (Post 569802)
Signed xxx

p.s its 506 now :)

It most certainly is, I have been refreshing it to keep tab on the numbers! It looks brilliant to have so much support from accrington. Hopefully a lot more people will sign for me too :)

lisa1234 01-05-2008 08:16

i have signed

lisa

jaysay 01-05-2008 09:08

I've signed wil always support a worthy cause

emzy 01-05-2008 09:16

Hope theres no "mickey mouse" signatures, have seen these a few times on petitions and its just taking the mic out of a good cause

emamum 01-05-2008 09:20

*goes to resign the petition after first signing it 'Ben Dover' *

emzy 01-05-2008 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23 (Post 569846)
*goes to resign the petition after first signing it 'Ben Dover' *

OMG its an eclipse :D

emamum 01-05-2008 09:24

cheeky mare :p

emzy 01-05-2008 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23 (Post 569850)
cheeky mare :p

Ya love it!!

blazey 01-05-2008 10:45

For once can we be serious, there are around 5,000 students who are on threatened courses and if we cant stop it their hard work will have amounted to nothing and staff will be losing their jobs.

emamum 01-05-2008 10:48

sorry :spank:

emzy 01-05-2008 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 569892)
For once can we be serious, there are around 5,000 students who are on threatened courses and if we cant stop it their hard work will have amounted to nothing and staff will be losing their jobs.

We have signed Blazey, and can no doubt encourage others too also

blazey 01-05-2008 10:57

2 Attachment(s)
I have attached the article from the front page of the Lancaster Guardian today if anyone fancies a read.

I am also in the picture :o not looking too fabulous but nevermind!

AccyLass 01-05-2008 13:19

I have signed, there are now 555 signatures, hopefully with a lot more to come:)

blazey 01-05-2008 21:04

Amazingly it is now at 624, so 1000 is hopefully a very very reasonable possibility for the next few days with the continued support of everyone.

I spoke at the Student Union Council today and got a lot of support there in general so we have the student representatives backing us which is a huge help.

I just hope this all leads to some success!

blazey 02-05-2008 14:10

Can I just bump this up a bit and ask for some more support off the people of accrington. Burnley web dont seem to want to post my post even though the person running this campaign is in fact a gentleman from Burnley, so I would hope that accrington can do the local education routes a bit of justice and show them that we care as a community.

Thank you so far to everyone who has signed.

blazey 05-05-2008 10:35

770 signatures now :)

keetah992000 05-05-2008 13:10

Signed xx

Loz 05-05-2008 13:54

Just signed,hope it does some good.

blazey 05-05-2008 19:21

Just a few off 800 now. It might not do too much good by itself, but we have a lot of support from staff in other departments and the elected student bodies, so there are definitely a lot of influential people who are working at it, and we're hoping that the university will find it embarrassing more than anything and stop what they are doing, because it's clear that they aren't going to appreciate the value of the department any time soon. :mad:

katex 06-05-2008 10:55

Well, tried to sign it, but informed me that my signature has already been recorded .... :confused:

Don't remember doing this at all .. maybe need an adult memory course ... LOL.

blazey 06-05-2008 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 572266)
Well, tried to sign it, but informed me that my signature has already been recorded .... :confused:

Don't remember doing this at all .. maybe need an adult memory course ... LOL.

That is strange Katex, there is a search feature so you can put in your surname and see if your name comes up, but I don't see how this is possible if you haven't signed!

Please do try again!

katex 06-05-2008 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 572424)
That is strange Katex, there is a search feature so you can put in your surname and see if your name comes up, but I don't see how this is possible if you haven't signed!

Please do try again!

Oh my goodness, Blazey .. did sign it on 1/5/08 !... remember now after I read the comment I put in at the time. So nothing strange about your petition site, very efficient .. just like I said, may need these services at some time to get the brain cells a little more active... :rolleyes::D Sorry.

Anyway, you lot get signing, don't like to see any education facilities disappearing, particularly for adult education .. never too late to learn, but if the facilities disappear, what hope is there for us.. :(

blazey 06-06-2008 04:11

1 Attachment(s)
Thought some people might be interested in the developments of the campaign to stop the job cuts.

This article doesn't mention it but the petition has been successful in one of its aims and we have been granted a hearing at University Court on the 25th June, which is a massive achievement, and hopefully we will hear positive news from this! Will keep you updated! Petition at current time has 1130 signatures, so the support is massive!

WillowTheWhisp 06-06-2008 07:40

I'm sorry I've only just seen this Blazey and added my signature today, although it may be a bit late now. :(

I wish I'd noticed it earlier.

I also wish I'd noticed that you'd had a problem posting it on BurnleyWeb as I could have sorted that out for you - perhaps it had been presumed to be spam and deleted. There has been a lot of trouble with spam posts and they are constantly being removed.

Is it too late to plop it on there now? Do let me know and if there's still any point posting it I'll make sure it gets accepted.

Again, I do wish I'd seen it earlier, just round about the time you posted it though I was having a lot of problems here and not online as much.

panther 06-06-2008 12:21

ee by eck blazey, with the look of ya in that paper, your looking more like ya gran everyday..:D

blazey 06-06-2008 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 588095)
I'm sorry I've only just seen this Blazey and added my signature today, although it may be a bit late now. :(

I wish I'd noticed it earlier.

I also wish I'd noticed that you'd had a problem posting it on BurnleyWeb as I could have sorted that out for you - perhaps it had been presumed to be spam and deleted. There has been a lot of trouble with spam posts and they are constantly being removed.

Is it too late to plop it on there now? Do let me know and if there's still any point posting it I'll make sure it gets accepted.

Again, I do wish I'd seen it earlier, just round about the time you posted it though I was having a lot of problems here and not online as much.

Hey Willow,

To be truthful, I think the petition has ran its course now with as much as it can do, but thank you anyway for showing the support. Now we just have to wait and see what is decided at University Court, which is a massive thing. Unfortunately I can't be there because I am not on the student council and I am coming back to oswaldtwistle before it even begins, but I will keep everyone updated through my friends who ARE on the council.

cashman 06-06-2008 14:41

ah good to hear its got somewhere, a start anyway, might just learn some who reckon petitions are useless summat.;):)

blazey 06-06-2008 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 588264)
ah good to hear its got somewhere, a start anyway, might just learn some who reckon petitions are useless summat.;):)

People think online petitions are useless because they are so often collected but not then pushed in front of the noses of those they're meant to be addressing. The chancellor and vice chancellor couldn't really ignore this as an issue when we have a thousand strong petition and we've been stood outside their major meetings in t-shirts making them look bad. (I put mine on after the photo lol because i'd only just arrived).

I also went along to the Union Council meetings to speak as I am actually a student that has been on one of their courses, so I can speak from the heart and I'm quite brave haha (those meetings are scary!)

I hope it is all worthwhile that's all. As the article says, 6 staff have left voluntarily, and the university says the 'widening participation' schemes wont be affected, but this is a lie because I know that at least one of those who have left coordinates the widening participation scheme that I was on, and now they have lost her.

Shame really, but the university can only see one thing and that is the high profits they can make from the Management school and international students. For those who aren't aware of it, the management school is the best in the country, and has a massive interest from students all over the world, who's fee's are substantially higher than a student who lives in the country.

WillowTheWhisp 06-06-2008 15:05

Well I hope it gets somewhere and I do wish I'd seen it earlier and could have promoted it a bit more. Do keep us informed.

blazey 06-06-2008 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 588288)
Well I hope it gets somewhere and I do wish I'd seen it earlier and could have promoted it a bit more. Do keep us informed.

The thing that annoys me is that they KNEW I was from accyweb, because they let me introduce myself and people from accyweb said hello to me, so they were just being blatantly difficult. I couldn't be bothered messaging the moderators to beg for them to allow such an important matter to be discussed, but ironically the man leading the campaign is from burnley, so I thought it was a bit rude and embarrassing for him!

WillowTheWhisp 06-06-2008 15:14

I'm a mod on BurnleyWeb Blazey but unfortunately I never saw it there either! I am sorry because if I had I would certainly have released it from bondage so to speak. I am so sorry that it was misinterpreted. It may well have been a mod who doesn't live locally who dealth with it and had no idea what the relevance was. As I said previously the site has been swamped with Nigerians selling non existent mobile phones and such like over the past few months and it probably got caught up in all that.

If you get any problems in future drop me a PM and I'll do my best to sort it out. Ask Jaysay - he'll recommend me!
:D

cashman 06-06-2008 15:18

wasn't aware of that willow, hope ya can teach the dingles some sense, but i very much doubt it.:D

WillowTheWhisp 06-06-2008 15:20

Could do with a few more people joining in over there. It's a bit on the quiet side. I plan on doing a quiz when there are enough people to have a go at it! :D

blazey 06-06-2008 15:20

Nevermind, I wont be back on Burnleyweb again. If they can't see importance in one of my very few important posts then there isn't much point to them.

WillowTheWhisp 06-06-2008 15:26

I'm sorry that you can't seem to understand why that would have happened Blazey. A simple PM would have solved it. It never ceases to amaze me that people would rather whinge and expect moderators to be psychic rather than contact them in order to complain/explain about something.

The safeguards were placed in order to prevent members from being ripped off by scammers.

Sorry for the thread wander. Lets get back to the point and hope that the petition etc does some good.

blazey 06-06-2008 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 588321)
I'm sorry that you can't seem to understand why that would have happened Blazey. A simple PM would have solved it. It never ceases to amaze me that people would rather whinge and expect moderators to be psychic rather than contact them in order to complain/explain about something.

The safeguards were placed in order to prevent members from being ripped off by scammers.

Sorry for the thread wander. Lets get back to the point and hope that the petition etc does some good.

I am sure I made a post about it which was also ignored. I understood the problem, though I don't understand the ignorance that followed it. I reckon cashy could explain the ignorance of burnleyweb to me very easily, but nevermind.

WillowTheWhisp 06-06-2008 15:39

I've put the link on BurnleyWeb now just in case it does help. I couldn't find a post with it in so I just added it to a thread which I thought might have been leading up to it but didn't.

It's not so much ignorance as tumbleweed. There just aren't very many active posters now and the few people who were online did respond to your post.