Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   gas/leccy survey (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/gas-leccy-survey-39360.html)

entwisi 12-05-2008 19:07

gas/leccy survey

If you don't mind, would you share your average monthly or annual costs for gas and leccy.

E.ON reckon I use > £1800 of gas and leccy a year which I find astounding. For a house with 2 adults and a 3 year old that are out at work all day. That has been fully insulated in the last few years, with double glazing, no central heating on from May - end October(only 4 hours a day in winter with localised heating in rooms beyond that + odd day of gas fire at night if its cold when teh heatings off). All appliances are pretty new and mainly A rated for energy. Energy saving bulbs where possible, I even turn the sodding router off each night and ensure sky/TVs etc are all off or are in as lower power state as possible.

So how much do you spend each year?

flashy 12-05-2008 19:08

Re: gas/leccy survey

i spend on average £50 a month on gas and £50 a month on electric

so thats £600 a year on each or £1200 on both (if my maths serves me correctly)

my hot water is on constantly

i have meters, which where in when i moved in, to be honest i have had them in for the 12 years i have lived here and i wouldnt be doing without them....dad was telling me earlier that his gas has gone up from £23 a month to £55 a month, i think he's with british gas

Neil 12-05-2008 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 575446)
my hot water is on constantly

How is your hot water heated - gas or electric?

entwisi 12-05-2008 19:49

yep, I currently pay £50 a month on each and they want to raise it to over £80 a month each. considering our water is instant from a combi we don't have anything heating stuff unneccessarily. Our heating is on only when needed (old dear next door calls us teh eskimos :D ) and I try to be as energy concious as possible.

emamum 12-05-2008 19:49

£15 a week gas=£60 a month and my heating is only on for a few hours a day
£10 a week electric-£40 a month

but i am on a meter.........

flashy 12-05-2008 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 575480)
How is your hot water heated - gas or electric?

Gas Neil

cashman 12-05-2008 19:58

averaging £160 per month since october. bloody ridiculous.:(

flashy 12-05-2008 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 575483)
yep, I currently pay £50 a month on each and they want to raise it to over £80 a month each. considering our water is instant from a combi we don't have anything heating stuff unneccessarily. Our heating is on only when needed (old dear next door calls us teh eskimos :D ) and I try to be as energy concious as possible.

same as me then Ian, my heating only goes on when i need it , over the winter months i set it for an hour in the morning once or twice, but other than that i just flick it on when i need warming up :D Reece isnt a big one for heat, even when it was on he'd still use his fan at the side of his bed and turn the radiator off in his bedroom

entwisi 12-05-2008 20:20

what I find most outrageous is that if people are genuinely paying £1800 a year you have to earn over 2K a year before tax to pay for it. For a lot of people ( pensioners and low income families of which Accy has more than its fair share in relation to the rest of the country) this in addition to sky high house prices and the obvious increase in mortgage costs must be absolutely crippling!

<fx: just re-read that and I'm beginning to sound like Cyfr.... :eek: :D >

derekgas 12-05-2008 20:22

My heating is on 24/7, room thermostat controls it, so if it is warm, it doesnt come on, we pay £20 per month direct debit to gas, and around £30 per month electric. water is instantaneous from a combi, use the fire for an hour in winter at night.

K.S.H 12-05-2008 20:23

You'll have to cut back on your right foot then Ian when going down the bypass in a morning :D

you never know who might be following you and taking note of your speed ;)

derekgas 12-05-2008 20:23

Centrica have just anounced an expected 30% increase again for this year.

K.S.H 12-05-2008 20:25

I pay £98 a month (£35 in credit so its not far out), looking into changing soon if anything better is available, currently with Scottish power on a duel fuel deal

Lilly 12-05-2008 20:26

We pay £60 a month to British Gas. That covers the gas and electric.

We are also on a water meter which costs us £30 a month.

This is for 2 adults and 2 children who are out at work/school during the day Monday-Friday.

West Ender 12-05-2008 20:35

At present I pay £80 a month to MANWEB Scottish Power and it covers both gas and electricity. I have a 3 bed semi-detached, double glazed and cavity wall insulated. Heating is with a gas combi boiler, which also supplies hot water, and is on for about 9 hours out of 24 in Winter - more if it's really cold - also a living flame gas fire in the sitting room.