Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   MP’s and their Expenses (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/mp-s-and-their-expenses-39786.html)

Bonnyboy 27-05-2008 21:07

MP’s and their Expenses

The sods are thinking of awarding themselves 23k per year - Lump sum expenses plan for MP’s

No wonder they want a lump sum, did you hear about some of the stuff they attempted to or actually claimed for.

Cheeky gits.

BERNADETTE 27-05-2008 21:28

Re: MP’s and their Expenses

They are doing it to avoid having to produce receipts to prove what their added expenses were. When you hear that they have had new kitchens fitted and such like they are obviously going to want to go down another route so folk don't know where all the money is going. It is a national disgrace!!!

Wynonie Harris 27-05-2008 21:32

Don't forget this little wheeze to avoid the tiresome chore of justifying their expense claims to us poor sods who actually pay for them is tax-free so it's worth nearer £40,000 in real terms. And they want a pay rise too! All this, while ordinary people are struggling with the rising cost of living. I've no doubt there are a few decent Members of Parliament, but the majority of them seem to have their snouts firmly in the trough!

jaysay 27-05-2008 21:37

You've got to remember that this only came about because they failed in their attempt to stop use finding out just exactly what exes they were on, and that Gorbals Mick spent £200,000 trying trying to keep this a secret, the mind boggles:eek:

Wynonie Harris 27-05-2008 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 582522)
and that Gorbals Mick spent £200,000 trying trying to keep this a secret

I must correct you on a small matter of semantics there. HE didn't spend a penny - he used OUR hard-earned tax money to try and stop us from finding out about the things that MPs have spent OUR money on. Then they wonder why there's so much cynicism about politics. :rolleyes:

Bonnyboy 27-05-2008 21:52

The claims may not have breached parliamentary rules but some of those claims must be fairly close.

They preach about corruption in foreign administrations, I think a good percentage of our lot fit that bill too.

As for the 200k being spent in an attempt to keep their secrets....they ought to be ashamed, guess they wont tho.

garinda 27-05-2008 22:03

Hate to be even more pedantic, but here goes...
it was actually 'more' than £200,000 of public money that Michael Martin spent trying to block this disclosure. Security issues my arse.

Also recently revealed is that health minister Ann Keen spends £867.00 per month from the public purse, in order to insure her 70 year old husband's life for £430,000.

Is that Nero I can hear in the background, playing his fiddle?

Royboy39 27-05-2008 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 582548)
Also recently revealed is that health minister Ann Keen spends £867.00 per month from the public purse, in order to insure her 70 year old husband's life for £430,000.

Ye but Ye but..........Dont forget the premiums are taxed :rolleyes:

Bonnyboy 27-05-2008 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 582548)
Hate to be even more pedantic, but here goes...
it was actually 'more' than £200,000 of public money that Michael Martin spent trying to block this disclosure. Security issues my arse.

How can expenses such as Anne Keen’s be possibly approved, it’s a completely private matter - Times Online

I’m speechless, things like this really wind me up.

garinda 27-05-2008 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 582571)
How can expenses such as Anne Keen’s be possibly approved, it’s a completely private matter - Times Online

I quite agree, and Martin's defence that M.P.'s homes will now become a security target, doesn't wash at all, and it's a great pity so much public money had to be wasted in the hope of keeping it all hush-hush, when we all know the real reason that they are running scared is that now their expenses will be in the public arena.

If you've nothing to hide, there's no need for secrecy.

BERNADETTE 27-05-2008 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 582571)

Why would anybody need so much insurance protection???:mad: They are extracting the urine with these outrageous expense claims:mad:

garinda 27-05-2008 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 582597)
Why would anybody need so much insurance protection???:mad: They are extracting the urine with these outrageous expense claims:mad:

Because her husband is also a M.P., the couple are already entitled to generous payouts if either one of them dies, under the Commons pension scheme.

BERNADETTE 27-05-2008 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 582600)
Because her husband is also a M.P., the couple are already entitled to generous payouts if either one of them dies, under the Commons pension scheme.

Sorry if I appear a bit thick here but why?? £430,000 is a hell of a lot of money:confused:What makes them worth so much?:confused:

Royboy39 27-05-2008 22:44

Why do so many highly paid, high ranking Doctors and Barristers choose politics.
Do they want fame of fortune?
How many times have we all sat at home with two bob in your pockets after paying your tax as a full time worker, paying your mortgage and the rest of your dues and demands?
Did you as a taxpayer get your rent paid....what about the second house?
Could you claim for that because you were working away from home?
Jack Straw stands on his podium speaking to his international audience in Blackburn............I would do that every week.......for his expenses.
The economy is our exalted leaders pet subject....My view is...If he is so clever, why has he allowed this rip off to continue?
The Buck stops at the top.

cashman 27-05-2008 22:47

i honestly never knew anyone who didn't fiddle expenses, yet when its on a bigger scale, those same people get the hump.:rolleyes: