Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Getting More Than A bit Scary (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/getting-more-than-a-bit-scary-39945.html)

BERNADETTE 01-06-2008 19:14

Getting More Than A bit Scary

When my grandson was on his way round here at teatime yesterday another boy was following him and threatening him with a knife!! Luckily a friend of my daughters lives enroute so he went to her house and she brought him here. It is seriously scary as the boy is about same age as my grandson and he is nine:eek:

slinky 01-06-2008 19:17

Re: Getting More Than A bit Scary

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 585439)
When my grandson was on his way round here at teatime yesterday another boy was following him and threatening him with a knife!! Luckily a friend of my daughters lives enroute so he went to her house and she brought him here. It is seriously scary as the boy is about same age as my grandson and he is nine:eek:

JESUS!!! did you inform the police??

BERNADETTE 01-06-2008 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 585442)
JESUS!!! did you inform the police??

My daughter did and also went to see his mum

slinky 01-06-2008 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 585446)

any outcome yet Bernie?? Oh it doesn't bare thinking about :mad:

moon 01-06-2008 19:25

OMG!!!! I would be scared out of my head if it was me!!

pipinfort 01-06-2008 19:26

OMFG......:eek::eek::eek:, where in accy was this...?

Benipete 01-06-2008 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 585446)

So what was the outcome?:mad:

BERNADETTE 01-06-2008 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 585448)
any outcome yet Bernie?? Oh it doesn't bare thinking about :mad:

No not yet, told my daughter she will have to make sure he has someone with him when coming round in future. It is a shame really because it is like a bit of independence for him:(

forceten 01-06-2008 19:33

At least he had the common sense to go to your daughters friends house. Full marks to him for that

Lilly 01-06-2008 19:40

That's awful, Bernadette. :(

Like you say, it is a shame for him to have to be accompanied when he comes to visit you as coming round on his own gave him a bit of independence.

What's it coming to when 9 year olds are going round threatening other kids with knives? :eek::mad:

accyman 01-06-2008 19:47

the problem is all this publicity over knife crime has gloryfied the act of carrying a knife, the government have plastered images of knife crime all over youtube etc and the govenment should have known damn well that their tactics would be a big mistake

anyone who is pathetic enough to carry a knife is not going to be detered by images of stab wounds etc , all it will do will give them somthing to aim for or to acheive a much better wound

its just the same as asbos the govenment made a huge fuss about asbos and over night it became trendy to have an asbo

if the govenment truely wanted to deter carring and using a knife they should not put pictures of victims on the net they should put pictures of people caught doing the crime in cells serving 20 years

i bet we will see large rise in knife crime now thet the govenment has gloryfied it

i hope the police do somthing about this kid thats threatening folk with a knife

BERNADETTE 01-06-2008 19:55

It was round near the Pop club and he was terrified. He is not a softy but really scared him. His mum is quite strict so my daughter says so why he was carrying a knife is beyond me. Think you are right about gloryifing things accyman when will it end?

Lilly 01-06-2008 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 585475)
It was round near the Pop club and he was terrified. He is not a softy but really scared him. His mum is quite strict so my daughter says so why he was carrying a knife is beyond me. Think you are right about gloryifing things accyman when will it end?

I'm not surprised he was scared.

I don't know what my son would have done in those circumstances.

It's not something you think to warn them about is it? :(

katex 01-06-2008 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 585469)
the problem is all this publicity over knife crime has gloryfied the act of carrying a knife, the government have plastered images of knife crime all over youtube etc and the govenment should have known damn well that their tactics would be a big mistake

anyone who is pathetic enough to carry a knife is not going to be detered by images of stab wounds etc , all it will do will give them somthing to aim for or to acheive a much better wound

its just the same as asbos the govenment made a huge fuss about asbos and over night it became trendy to have an asbo

if the govenment truely wanted to deter carring and using a knife they should not put pictures of victims on the net they should put pictures of people caught doing the crime in cells serving 20 years

i bet we will see large rise in knife crime now thet the govenment has gloryfied it

i hope the police do somthing about this kid thats threatening folk with a knife

Sometimes you talk sense Accyman .. took the words from me mouth.

Bernie ... little twerp eh ? We are trying to encourage them to walk, catch buses, getting them out of the cotton wool situation, and this type of thing happens. Can only hope the offender's mum supported your daughter and gave him loads of ear-ache, but not a certainty these days unfortunately.

Little bit on the news just now, to charge parents and make them more responsible for their children's crimes/behaviour .. hope this will be enforced soon.

accyman 01-06-2008 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 585486)
Sometimes you talk sense Accyman.

i try to keep it to a minimum :)

i hope they do start punishing parents for their kids crimes , that way parents may actualy start taking notice in what their kids are up to

that idea alone though is not enough , i would like to see parents be given back the power to control their kids and not get put in prison for giving a well deserved beating to a kid that does this sort of thing

Bonnyboy 01-06-2008 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 585498)
that idea alone though is not enough , i would like to see parents be given back the power to control their kids and not get put in prison for giving a well deserved beating to a kid that does this sort of thing

Agree fully. I think that teachers ought to be allowed to punish a child too.

Lilly 01-06-2008 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 585504)
Agree fully. I think that teachers ought to be allowed to punish a child too.

Children don't fear teachers, parents, policemen or any other authority figures any more. :(

Discipline has been taken away from schools and the government keeps trying to take it away from parents too, more's the pity. :(

Bonnyboy 01-06-2008 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 585507)
Children don't fear teachers, parents, policemen or any other authority figures any more. :(

Discipline has been taken away from schools and the government keeps trying to take it away from parents too, more's the pity. :(

Children especially are very impressionable. A well behaved child watching an unruly child being naughty constantly without consequence for their actions will soon try to see how far they can push things themselves.

This may sound a bit taboo, but I think some children have to have fear instilled into them. They have to learn that action equates to consequence. Kids should have a healthy fear of their parent, teachers and the police.

pam1 01-06-2008 20:44

[quote=BERNADETTE;585439]When my grandson was on his way round here at teatime yesterday another boy was following him and threatening him with a knife!! Luckily a friend of my daughters lives enroute so he went to her house and she brought him here. It is seriously scary as the boy is about same age as my grandson and he is nine:eek:[/quote
i think i would be scared as well, kids have no respect for no one these days.

Lilly 01-06-2008 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 585518)
Children especially are very impressionable. A well behaved child watching an unruly child being naughty constantly without consequence for their actions will soon try to see how far they can push things themselves.

This may sound a bit taboo, but I think some children have to have fear instilled into them. They have to learn that action equates to consequence. Kids should have a health fear of their parent, teachers and the police.

I quite agree, Bonnyboy.

It's a sad state of affairs we're having to live with. :(

pam1 01-06-2008 20:45

[quote=pam1;585520]
Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 585439)
When my grandson was on his way round here at teatime yesterday another boy was following him and threatening him with a knife!! Luckily a friend of my daughters lives enroute so he went to her house and she brought him here. It is seriously scary as the boy is about same age as my grandson and he is nine:eek:[/quote
i think i would be scared as well, kids have no respect for no one these days.

Bonnyboy 01-06-2008 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 585522)
I quite agree, Bonnyboy.

It's a sad state of affairs we're having to live with. :(

As you say, we are having to live with it. We flippin well shouldn’t be though. :(

I wonder what my great grandparents or even grandparents would have made of the fact that we can no longer effectively control our offspring.

cashman 01-06-2008 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 585507)

thats something i have been saying repeatedly fer years, the P.C. brigade have much to answer for IMHO. this little git, if hes old enough to carry n threaten with a knife 9 yrs old or not, hes old enough to be releived of his freedom in my book. n i aint sure about jailing parents until its a level playing field n parents have disipline back in their powers. cos if they punish parents as is now, like other things in life it will be the easy targets NOT the real bad parents that will bear the brunt.

West Ender 01-06-2008 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 585518)

This may sound a bit taboo, but I think some children have to have fear instilled into them. They have to learn that action equates to consequence. Kids should have a healthy fear of their parent, teachers and the police.

You are so right. Being afraid of what your dad, or mum, might do to you if you do wrong doesn't mean not being loved. If it did then most of my generation would have been "unloved" children - and I can assure you we weren't. We were "afraid" of teachers too, in as much as we knew better than to step out of line, and in awe of policemen.

cashman 01-06-2008 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 585570)
You are so right. Being afraid of what your dad, or mum, might do to you if you do wrong doesn't mean not being loved. If it did then most of my generation would have been "unloved" children - and I can assure you we weren't. We were "afraid" of teachers too, in as much as we knew better than to step out of line, and in awe of policemen.

trouble with that is although correct n commonsense we are viewed as " Dinasors" by the pillocks in society.:mad:

grego 01-06-2008 21:51

Bring back Corporal punishment I say, the little buggers know no discipline, get away with murder (literally) at home, school and in society in general, teach them some respect, I'd be ashamed if it was one of mine.
Hope your Grandson isn't too shook up Bernie.

blazey 01-06-2008 23:20

I remember a few of the lads taking knives to primary school when I was there. I think it's always been a problem amongst youngsters, and most wouldnt actually use the weapon that they carry.

Obviously it is scary, and I am not trying to justify carrying knives in anyway, just speculating on my own experience as a child and recalling that knives were carried by some boys back then too.

grannyclaret 01-06-2008 23:23

oh my god Bernie,,,The sooner we get back to adults being in charge and not kids the better,,,there was a time when kids had a friendly scrap and might have come home with a busted nose at the worst ,,BUT NOT THESE DAYS..its a scary world now

cashman 01-06-2008 23:23

yeh can't really say most wouldn't use em blazey, kids when they "lose it" if they "carry" have every chance of using it.;)

Royboy39 01-06-2008 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 585606)
I remember a few of the lads taking knives to primary school when I was there. I think it's always been a problem amongst youngsters, and most wouldnt actually use the weapon that they carry.

Obviously it is scary, and I am not trying to justify carrying knives in anyway, just speculating on my own experience as a child and recalling that knives were carried by some boys back then too.

As a student of law..........what would be your take on this?

BERNADETTE 01-06-2008 23:31

Well as I said my grandson is no mard arse so for him to knock and ask for help the other kid has been saying he will use it.

blazey 01-06-2008 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 585612)
As a student of law..........what would be your take on this?

Well obviously it is wrong, but you can't stop kids carrying things like knives, I've carried a pen knife once when I was a girl guide, an obviously I wouldn't ever threaten someone with one but I would hate to make knives illegal completely...

I honestly don't believe I know anyone who carries a knife and or would use one maliciously, and I know some rough people who are my age. I think the media has exaggerated the situation, and it is possibly more detrimental to society to do this than for them to completely ignore it, but I am not in the right position to make such a judgment without any research on it.

If I studied crime then perhaps I would be more aware of the situation and give a better opinion, but unfortunately I study the law, and it doesn't often concern itself with the actual larger scale of things.

WillowTheWhisp 01-06-2008 23:36

How awful Bernie. Poor lad, no wonder he was scared. There have been far too many stabbings lately.

Punishing the parents isn't the answer. The parents need to be allowed to punish children. That's the problem.

cashman 01-06-2008 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 585625)

Punishing the parents isn't the answer. The parents need to be allowed to punish children. That's the problem.

pity the bloody polititcians dont think the same.:(

Royboy39 01-06-2008 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 585622)
If I studied crime then perhaps I would be more aware of the situation and give a better opinion, but unfortunately I study the law, and it doesn't often concern itself with the actual larger scale of things.

Why...............?

That bit

BERNADETTE 01-06-2008 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 585625)
How awful Bernie. Poor lad, no wonder he was scared. There have been far too many stabbings lately.

You are quite right just hope they can reverse the trend but without losing face can't see it happening any time soon:mad:

blazey 01-06-2008 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 585635)
Why...............?

Which bit are you asking why to?

Royboy39 01-06-2008 23:50

Quote:

That bit............is crime not the same as law?

blazey 01-06-2008 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 585642)
That bit

Because most of it is made on a case by case basis, rather than statutes alone. Speaking of which, I have a pile of cases that is sky high that I have to read for my exam on wednesday, so I best log off for now :p

cashman 01-06-2008 23:54

Quote:

Well obviously it is wrong, but you can't stop kids carrying things like knives, I've carried a pen knife once when I was a girl guide, an obviously I wouldn't ever threaten someone with one but I would hate to make knives illegal completely...

I honestly don't believe I know anyone who carries a knife and or would use one maliciously, and I know some rough people who are my age.

making knives illegal aint the issue i don't think. doubt if many know who or who would use one, but its too late when they do n it does happen n not just nowadays, got the t-shirt so know i am talking sense. but at least way back then, there was more of a deterant if ya carried one, theres a world of differance between a scout/guide knife n many that are carried now, but as young people like you think that letting minor offenders out after half their sentence is ok, then were going down a slippery slope.

BERNADETTE 01-06-2008 23:56

Find it quite frightening that crime and the law are not related, sometimes I think you post crap just for the reaction you will get. Think even us thickheads realise that each case has it's own merits but crime and law must basically go hand in hand

blazey 01-06-2008 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 585646)
making knives illegal aint the issue i don't think. doubt if many know who or who would use one, but its too late when they do n it does happen n not just nowadays, got the t-shirt so know i am talking sense. but at least way back then, there was more of a deterant if ya carried one, theres a world of differance between a scout/guide knife n many that are carried now, but as young people like you think that letting minor offenders out after half their sentence is ok, then were going down a slippery slope.

So many people reoffend after being imprisoned for minor crimes that I see no point in enforcing a failing measure. The answer is finding new forms of punishment which will make people stop and think, I just don't wish to be the person that suggests a different punishment, because it is the government who should be under scrutiny, not I.

blazey 02-06-2008 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 585648)
Find it quite frightening that crime and the law are not related, sometimes I think you post crap just for the reaction you will get. Think even us thickheads realise that each case has it's own merits but crime and law must basically go hand in hand

I'm currently reading a case where it was decided that having an illegal weapon in a shop window with a price tag and description attached to it wasn't a crime simply because the words 'offer for sale' weren't properly defined in the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959.

I'm not calling you a thickhead Bernadette, I am studying the law and that is a fine example of what I am saying, whether you or any other citizen of this country like it or not. I'm not saying it is my ideal, it is merely what is put in front of me.

Now I must study!!!

cashman 02-06-2008 00:05

as most of the borstals/ detention centres/approved schools were closed, long ago, i reckon there is no real deterant for the young these days, those institutions were by no means perfect,but they did provide some deterant n did work to a degree, which to me is better than ****** all. i know many who have been in such places n approx 80-90% of those i know, never returned.

BERNADETTE 02-06-2008 00:14

It is illegal to carry an offensive weapon and where I come from a knife is as such, so if you or I or Tom, Dick or Harry get caught carrying one the law should come down on us big time.

Royboy39 02-06-2008 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 585651)
So many people reoffend after being imprisoned for minor crimes that I see no point in enforcing a failing measure. The answer is finding new forms of punishment which will make people stop and think, I just don't wish to be the person that suggests a different punishment, because it is the government who should be under scrutiny, not I.

Blazey...............put your gob in gear before responding to a lot of people
who have experienced over many years the changes that have occured,
The abolition,. through funding, of the Borstal System, Remand Homes, Mental Institutions...........Mental Patients are now being housed in prisons..........Is that right?
A hell of a lot of people in our society are not in a position to stop and think...........they are treat as criminals when they are mentally sick.
Many people do reoffend because they have not the mental capacity to do otherwise.

polly 02-06-2008 00:58

I have to ask what was the other child doing out alone? I can understand that a 9 year old is permited to walk alone in daylight to grannies but why was the other child out alone?
Let's make the assumption that child 2 is out alone for hours on end just to get him out of parents way, is that really the type of parent that is going to sufficiently care enough to chastise him and point out that knife carrying is wrong?

As for giving teachers the right to hit children a good teacher does not need that right. I promise you I have walked into classes of delinquent 15 year olds and silenced them with a mere look, that is what good teachers do, physical punishment in school is not needed unless the teacher is a failure.
What is needed in schools nowadays is the ability for staff to exclude persistently troublesome pupils more easily. Forget exclusion Units which are often seen as holiday camps, just throw the kid before the cancer spreads. Yes the excluded kid then goes off and spends day after day getting into trouble, that is why, as I have said before, we need to get them away from their home enviroment where the problem started.

Now the law, we all know that is an a**, so maybe we need less law students and more common sense.

steeljack 02-06-2008 02:09

seems to me the various police authorities need to take a good look at their hiring practises,get away from all quotas , what use in Gods name is a 5' 0" tall, overwieght Albainan lactose intolerant lesbian PC ? .....and the all others who have been hired so they reflect local communities ....
Think it would be best for all if the Police did their hiring from amongst the men and women who have finished their terms in the armed services , maybe offer them a decent hiring bonus, or a county council financed low interest mortage, these are the folks you want on the front line on streets ,not some jumped up ex-security guard whose last job allowed him to wear carpet slippers to work . :D :D

shakermaker 02-06-2008 03:05

It seems, through reading comments of our more experienced members, that the state we live in now has been a long time coming. Our strong state has been chipped away at over the years. I don't think there's any suitable quick fix for things like knife crime.

This country needs a complete blitz in terms of morals and values. The laws have become totalitarian and farcical. Bans, ASBOs, jailing parents, curfews, arrest quotas, positive discrimination et cetera won't make things better at all. They just create more tension, more anger and more violence.

Generations younger than myself are lost without guidance to adulthood. Blair & Brown's focus on targets have left them with a shoddy education system that forgets education is more about raising young people than putting more examination passes on the OFSTED report.

Sorry to be grim, but I don't see a way out. None of the political parties offer anything solid upon which to rebuild our state. If only I could be in Downing Street and bang some heads together and bring about some realism. I fear for the future of Britain, I really do. No one trusts anyone, the media makes us all scared s***less of what's on our doorstep, the younger generations are being left to drag themselves up... it's heading towards anomie.

blazey 02-06-2008 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 585659)
Blazey...............put your gob in gear before responding to a lot of people
who have experienced over many years the changes that have occured,
The abolition,. through funding, of the Borstal System, Remand Homes, Mental Institutions...........Mental Patients are now being housed in prisons..........Is that right?
A hell of a lot of people in our society are not in a position to stop and think...........they are treat as criminals when they are mentally sick.
Many people do reoffend because they have not the mental capacity to do otherwise.

I think I suggested elsewhere the problem with the number of mentally ill people in prisons. I can't post the same thing in every thread, but if you use your mind to piece them together you might see my points.

However, I do contend that reoffending is due to mental illness. A VERY small percentage of prisoners in this country have committed serious offenses such as rape, murder, paedophilia etc. Most are petty thefts, muggings, people not paying their tv licences, benefit fraud. All of those can be linked with poverty. Which is funny, because I thought we had a party that was meant to be salvaging the working class from this so-called mess that the tory party left behind, but all I have heard today is tales about the knife culture not existing back then, and ways to fix the problems of our prisons that are overloaded with petty criminals, most of which committed their crimes due to the poverty labour are meant to solve, and they're getting worse, not better. Instead of helping them, we're just tagging them so we know where they are. It solves nothing.

I might not have lived during your entire life, but I can see when something needs to be done, and when it isn't being one regardless of the number of promises made by this so-called working class party. They're DETRIMENTAL to the working class people, yet they still manage to make you think it's all in favour of the working class.

Why would anyone in their right mind vote Labour, when they're clearly doing absolutely nothing good for the working class? I don't understand it at all, because I just can't think of a reason for it other than people simply ENJOY having things to complain about. What would you all be talking about if there were no stabbings, rapes, wars, terrorist attacks etc? You'd be BORED without the chavs stabbing each other over their dinner money.

cashman 02-06-2008 08:21

why would anyone in their right mind come out with rubbish like you just did blazey? it sure beats the hell out of me.:p

blazey 02-06-2008 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 585690)
why would anyone in their right mind come out with rubbish like you just did blazey? it sure beats the hell out of me.:p

I haven't been asleep yet. You should have seen some of the stuff I deleted. It didn't even make sense.

BERNADETTE 02-06-2008 08:46

Didn't know this was a thread about the failings of the labour party:rolleyes:

jaysay 02-06-2008 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 585692)
I haven't been asleep yet. You should have seen some of the stuff I deleted. It didn't even make sense.

To be quite honest a lot of what you say doesn't make sense blazey, but it is easy to see why our society is going down the tubes if we are continually turning out law students withy your perspective on life. It appears whenever there is a crisis the Government have a knee jerk reaction and pass more laws, we don't need more laws all we need its for the police to be able to inforce the laws we already have. Only this weekend its been said that new legislation will be brought in to combat underage drinking in public, why? Its is already an offence to be drunk in a public place no matter what age you are, end of. The first thing this government did was to ban hand guns, as if that was going to make the slightest difference to criminal eliment, you could just imagine couldn't you, "hey lads we can't go tooled up on that bank job next Friday Tony Blair just banned hand guns, we'll just have to go back to the sawn off". Since the dogooders took over everything in society everything's gone belly up, oh smacking children isn't the answer, well it was when I was young and there are a lot of people my age on here that will agree. A headmaster (oh Sorry Headteacher must be PC) said not to long ago that children using the "F" word more than 5 times in a lesson would be sent out of the class, 5 flaming times, give me strength. The only way is to get back to old values, where kid are brought up to respect authority, be it at home, in school, or the police, then and only then will life start to make any sort of sence

grannyclaret 02-06-2008 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 585651)

A BLEEDING GOOD HIDING WOULDENT GO AMISS,,,
"BRING BACK THE BIRCH"
YOU WOULD SOON HAVE MORE ROOM IN THE PRISONS.

polly 02-06-2008 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 585662)
seems to me the various police authorities need to take a good look at their hiring practises,get away from all quotas , what use in Gods name is a 5' 0" tall, overwieght Albainan lactose intolerant lesbian PC ? .....and the all others who have been hired so they reflect local communities ....
Think it would be best for all if the Police did their hiring from amongst the men and women who have finished their terms in the armed services , maybe offer them a decent hiring bonus, or a county council financed low interest mortage, these are the folks you want on the front line on streets ,not some jumped up ex-security guard whose last job allowed him to wear carpet slippers to work . :D :D

The majority of ex forces personnel are the last people we need in our police force. They are too used to being ordered around not having too think for themselves and have no idea of the world these kids come from. Also they themselves are from a social grouping that tends to idolise alcohol and thuggery which is the last thigs these kids should be exposed to.

Myself I would propose that the police force recruits ordinary people who have successfully brought up children of their own and allow them to use their instinctive powers of judgememnt. When you have had had children you just know whi9ch are the really bad ones, which have been lead astray and which have parents who are a waste of space. This can not be learn t in any Army.

Royboy39 02-06-2008 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 585829)
The majority of ex forces personnel are the last people we need in our police force. They are too used to being ordered around not having too think for themselves and have no idea of the world these kids come from. Also they themselves are from a social grouping that tends to idolise alcohol and thuggery which is the last thigs these kids should be exposed to.

Myself I would propose that the police force recruits ordinary people who have successfully brought up children of their own and allow them to use their instinctive powers of judgememnt. When you have had had children you just know whi9ch are the really bad ones, which have been lead astray and which have parents who are a waste of space. This can not be learn t in any Army.

Sorry Polly but that is absolute rubbish.

Today's Armed Forces are taught trades which are mostly high tech, away from the short back and sides brigade of yesteryear.
Almost all of our servicemen on active service will have been taught policing skills which are used to great effect in everyday life and death situations.
There may be one or two 'bad apples' who do go over the top on nights out, but they are identified very quickly and shown the door.
The art of policing is to know the enemy. be it yobs, terrorists, muggers or opposing armed enemies.
I have been employed by MOD as a serviceman, and have employed ex servicemen over the years. I would have no hesitation whatsoever of hiring ex servicemen.
To suggest that these men and women can be bracketed in the terms that you put forward, is outrageous in the extreme.

derekgas 02-06-2008 14:36

Its true what myself and others have been saying all along, give some control back to parents, teachers, police and the courts, I am living proof that cessation of adequate punishment in the home leads to worse behaviour than when children could be chastised properly.

cashman 02-06-2008 14:39

glad ya posted that royboy, saved me getting told off again, never seen such drivel.;):D

jaysay 02-06-2008 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 585856)
glad ya posted that royboy, saved me getting told off again, never seen such drivel.;):D

I totally agree with you cashy, and I wouldn't dream of telling you off, us old uns must stick together:D:cool:

slinky 02-06-2008 17:35

Quote:

I honestly don't believe I know anyone who carries a knife and or would use one maliciously, and I know some rough people who are my age. I think the media has exaggerated the situation

Yeah... you're right, they are exaggerating it all!!

I mean lets have a look at this weeks news!!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...317783,00.html

Oh and another stabbing

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...317850,00.html

oh Hold on!! another stabbing

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...317793,00.html

OH..... guess what!! ANOTHER STABBING

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_...317845,00.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jaysay 02-06-2008 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 585951)
Yeah... you're right, they are exaggerating it all!!

I mean lets have a look at this weeks news!!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...317783,00.html

Oh and another stabbing

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...317850,00.html

oh Hold on!! another stabbing

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...317793,00.html

OH..... guess what!! ANOTHER STABBING

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_...317845,00.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Welcome to the wonderful world of blazey, slinks, where flowers and trees grow all day and young men in their white coats are comng to take her away:rolleyes:

cashman 02-06-2008 19:18

was another stabbing in accy sat night on princess street between 9-10, coarse that aint media exaggerated, cos they aint even ran the story.

grannyclaret 02-06-2008 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 586006)
was another stabbing in accy sat night on princess street between 9-10, coarse that aint media exaggerated, cos they aint even ran the story.

just another day at the office,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its not news anymore

derekgas 02-06-2008 19:50

When the young kid in manchester was shot with a 12 gauge shotgun, through the window, apparently mistaken for somebody else, I asked my mancunian cousin about it, he said ' somebody gets shot or stabbed hear every other week, it just dont make the news anymore', I believe this to be around 10 years ago, so my guess is, there are an awful lot of gun and knife crimes that we dont hear about.

cashman 02-06-2008 19:56

thats it in a nutshell derek, been two in the 6 days just in a small town like accy. none media exageratted cos not made the media, n thats only what i am aware of, could be more, who knows? just some people are too dumb to accept whats going on.;)

katex 07-06-2008 12:07

Another fatal stabbing in Sheffield last night !!

Have just heard that 1,000's of teenagers are on a mass walk through London to protest against stabbings and gun crime.

Good on 'em !! The majority of teenagers, who are good kids, showing their disapproval, and hoping something will be done :mosher:

derekgas 07-06-2008 12:12

And hopefully, the government will listen katex! Dont hold your breath mind. :rolleyes:

BERNADETTE 07-06-2008 12:16

Wonder if the powers that be will take any notice, most probably not but good to see the youngsters showing their disapproval

katex 07-06-2008 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 588872)
And hopefully, the government will listen katex! Dont hold your breath mind. :rolleyes:

Not sure Derekgas .. just get the feeling that something will be put in place to punish knife carriers, etc. Even, on the spot searches.

derekgas 07-06-2008 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 588877)
Not sure Derekgas .. just get the feeling that something will be put in place to punish knife carriers, etc. Even, on the spot searches.

Followed hopefully by on the spot prison sentence, oh, and what time are our flying pigs due to land? :D

katex 07-06-2008 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 588878)
Followed hopefully by on the spot prison sentence, oh, and what time are our flying pigs due to land? :D

Maybe I am too much of a 'cock-eyed optimist' ..:)

Will watch the night sky tonight for the flying pigs tonight then. Probably land in me lodge.

jaysay 07-06-2008 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 588880)
Maybe I am too much of a 'cock-eyed optimist' ..:)

Will watch the night sky tonight for the flying pigs tonight then. Probably land in me lodge.

They have you playing Nellie in South Pacific kate:D

katex 07-06-2008 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 588883)
They have you playing Nellie in South Pacific kate:D

Do remember singing it at some time Jaysay ... :D

Just think going back to the subject, 'tis great that these kids are so naffed off with their contemporaries, that they are doing this.

jaysay 07-06-2008 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 588897)
Do remember singing it at some time Jaysay ... :D

Just think going back to the subject, 'tis great that these kids are so naffed off with their contemporaries, that they are doing this.

Can't agree more kate, but its the knuckle draggers who carry the knives who will just look at them and say t*****s, no doubt those who are protesting won't carry knives anyway, its the other clowns who feel they need to have a knife in the first place that need to be educated:(