Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   How times have changed (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/how-times-have-changed-39961.html)

jaysay 02-06-2008 10:20

How times have changed

My other half acts as an exam adjudicator at her local secondary School, she told me that she has an exam today a 1pm, but she would have to be there by 12.15 because its maths and she would have to hand out calculators:eek::eek::eek: Calculators, I said, thats changed since our day, we didn't have calculators but we weren't allowed to use a slide rule or anything like that, we had to use what god gave use, brain power:rolleyes:

Tealeaf 02-06-2008 10:25

Re: How times have changed

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 585720)
My other half acts as an exam adjudicator at her local secondary School, she told me that she has an exam today a 1pm, but she would have to be there by 12.15 because its maths and she would have to hand out calculators:eek::eek::eek: Calculators, I said, thats changed since our day, we didn't have calculators but we weren't allowed to use a slide rule or anything like that, we had to use what god gave use, brain power:rolleyes:

Presumably you were too thick to use log tables.

jaysay 02-06-2008 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 585723)
Presumably you were too thick to use log tables.

No we used log tables leafy and I did pass as well:D

Bonnyboy 02-06-2008 10:33

Looks like your mathematical ability is now judged on your ability to punch numbers into a gadget. You used to have to show how you came to your solution, how you worked out the problem. Hitting a few buttons on a calculator hardly demonstrates a grasp of the subject.

Seems to make a bit of a mockery of the exam to me.

jaysay 02-06-2008 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 585727)
Looks like your mathematical ability is now judged on your ability to punch numbers into a gadget. You used to have to show how you came to your solution, how you worked out the problem. Hitting a few buttons on a calculator hardly demonstrates a grasp of the subject.

Seems to make a bit of a mockery of the exam to me.

exactly, Bonnyboy

garinda 02-06-2008 11:01

We were allowed to use calculators when I took Maths O-level in 1981, at school. I failed.

We were allowed to use calculators when I took Maths GCSE in 1990, at Brixton College. I passed.

It's also much easier than it used to be.:D

derekgas 02-06-2008 11:12

I remember we used to have to give the answer, and show the working out beside the answer, so, does a maths problem now have to have the numbers of the calculator pressed and the order in which they were pressed? Along similar lines, my eldest son who is now 27, lit some of the magnesium in science class, he got detention, and in his opinion it was out of order, I reminded him that we would probably have got '6 of the best' he didnt have a clue what I meant.

emzy 02-06-2008 11:23

We had to use calculators for certain things in the exams but on the others we couldnt just "cheat" and use a calculator, we had to show all working out on the page. It may be getting easier but it was 12 years since I passed my GCSE so dont know how it is just now but i know calculators are being used more and more.

emamum 02-06-2008 11:26

when i did mine you were allowed to use them for one paper but not for the other, you still had to show how you worked it out tho. calculaters arent cheating, you still have to know how to do the math, the calculator just gives you the answer quicker.

andrewb 02-06-2008 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 585744)
We were allowed to use calculators when I took Maths O-level in 1981, at school. I failed.

We were allowed to use calculators when I took Maths GCSE in 1990, at Brixton College. I passed.

It's also much easier than it used to be.:D

Its not easier according to the teachers though, I know who I'd believe!

You're right though, doing an exam developed for 16 year olds when you're 26 you'll find it easier.

Jaysay, they should have a calculator and non-calculator exam.

garinda 02-06-2008 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 585769)

You're right though, doing an exam developed for 16 year olds when you're 26 you'll find it easier.

Jaysay, they should have a calculator and non-calculator exam.

The teachers would say it's equally hard though, otherwise they'll look like they aren't teaching it as well as they used to.;)

O-level, one exam, which accounted for all the marks.

GCSE, one exam, which accounted for 50% of the final mark. Oral test, which you could use a calculator for, and which counted as 25% of the final mark. Project, which was done at home, and which could be checked before being submitted, and which made up the remaining mark.

Fact.

Having done to two, rest assured it is easier, including the questions.;)

cashman 02-06-2008 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 585769)

i'd believe that if i was your age, its better than looking dumb.:p

entwisi 02-06-2008 12:08

I once got a proper shouting at school. I have an uncanny knack with maths that I can 'see' the solution in my mind and would often just write the answer down. The teacher used to berate me all the time for not showing the working out. one day I submitted my homework with pictures of a head with gears whirring inside or with fingers pressing buttons on a calculator. He went absoutely ballistic! :D

We wre allowed calculators in my day(1985) but you culd equally do it all in your head. In fat calculators often made it harder as tehy naturally 'rounded' teh answer and when you have calculations that are 15 - 20 'layers' deep these rounding errors would accumulate to give teh wrong answer.

e.g, sin 45 = 1/square root of 2 ( hard to write on a post but always what i would use ) or 0.7071068 to 8 significant figures. use teh latter as a basis of a calculation and you have 'gained' a small fraction that will mean your next layer will be that bit further out. continue and its soon pushing you further and further away from teh 'correct' answer.

churchman phil 02-06-2008 12:43

Which school were you at Entwisi?? I left in '85 too :D - from Mount Carmel :eek:

Less 02-06-2008 13:55

Just wait until, instead of 'you may use calculators', the adjudicator says, "You may use your lap-top and internet connections are, here, here, here and here, just like a Stewardess telling you about emergency exits!
:rolleyes: