Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   More Ads on TV. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/more-ads-on-tv-41332.html)

jaysay 25-07-2008 10:14

More Ads on TV.

A new Scheme governing TV advertising comes into force on Sept 1st, under the old rules there had to be 20 minutes between ads, thats why a program which has only been on for a few minutes goes to an ad break, sometimes before the titles have finish. In new rules anounced by Ofcom, there can be adverts every 30 minutes in films instead of 45 minutes, and restrictions will also be scraped during curret affairs shows and programs about religion. Thank God for Sky+:eek:

AccyLass 25-07-2008 10:40

Re: More Ads on TV.

Yeah I definitely think it is time to record stuff on the harddrive and start watching it 10 mins later
to be able to skip thro the adverts:rolleyes:

vera 25-07-2008 14:56

adverts are a pain in the neck, you just get interested in a programme and it flits off for the adverts, it is impossible to watch a decent film, i know bbc don't have them, adverts that is, but it is a load of rubbish most of the time

entwisi 25-07-2008 14:56

Posted via Mobile Device

Now if only you could tell it to not record the ads in the first place :D

polly 25-07-2008 15:06

Do people still watch television?

pipinfort 25-07-2008 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 610843)
Thank God for Sky+:eek:

Here, Here................the wonders of modern technologhy eh?

emzy 25-07-2008 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 610935)
Do people still watch television?

Does this make me not normal??? I still watch television (from time to time)

jaysay 25-07-2008 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 610947)
Does this make me not normal??? I still watch television (from time to time)

Don't take no notice its polly going of on one, I watch the TV most of the day except when I'm on here, then I have my music on and if Idecide to have a read which is quite often:o

jaysay 25-07-2008 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 610930)
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that maybe the next thing on the agenda entwisi, now I would invest in that:D

banjoman 25-07-2008 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 610930)

There was a VCR that did this. It worked by "guessing" that if an image was on the screen for 2 seconds, it was either the beginning or end of the programme and start of adverts (ie the ident of the program). Basically the ad men got it removed by threatening to remove the money, and the TV stations couldnt risk it so the VCR was removed.

Its a toss up. Would you pay a lot more for SKY,Virgin etc if it had no adverts ? Dont forget in theory adverts subsidise the cost of the programmes etc.

So if the license fee is £150 ish quid for 4 TV channels per year, plus some other stuff. Would you pay £150 per year for sky 1,2,+3 ? What about UK gold etc ?

Now what would be good is if you could chose the exact programmes you wanted to watch and got charged for watching them only regardless of the channel they are on. If you take the adverts with the programme you get it 1/2 price or something

Eric 25-07-2008 19:47

Think positive ... if it weren't for the ads, you would have to miss part of the show to get your beer, grab something to munch on, or go to the can;)

steeljack 25-07-2008 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyLass27 (Post 610849)
Yeah I definitely think it is time to record stuff on the harddrive and start watching it 10 mins later
to be able to skip thro the adverts:rolleyes:

can you do that ? (watch the same program you are recording with a time lag) still trying to figure my DVR out :confused:

banjoman 25-07-2008 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 611082)
can you do that ? (watch the same program you are recording with a time lag) still trying to figure my DVR out :confused:

Yes I know someone who always does that. For an hour programme, wait 10 minutes then start watching it. You can then speed through the adverts and still finish at the same time

steeljack 25-07-2008 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjoman (Post 611083)
Yes I know someone who always does that. For an hour programme, wait 10 minutes then start watching it. You can then speed through the adverts and still finish at the same time

thanks , will give it a try :cool:

pipinfort 25-07-2008 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 611082)

Oh yes, we do this quite a lot.