Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Eggs is Eggs (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/eggs-is-eggs-42456.html)

flashy 08-09-2008 08:19

Eggs is Eggs

Has anyone noticed recently the fact that chicken eggs are shrinking?

I bought 4 last week from Morrisons and have just had one for my breakfast and it looks like a pigeon laid it.

Are they not feeding the chickens enough?

Have we got Anorexic chickens?

They will be the size of quail eggs soon.

anyone else noticed that?

emzy 08-09-2008 08:20

Re: Eggs is Eggs

I noticed that with the Asda Smart Price ones that I got,t hey were tiny and had a very small yolk

WillowTheWhisp 08-09-2008 08:27

We get ours from a farm. Maybe it's the battery hens which are finally failing to produce normal size eggs after generations of confinement.

flashy 08-09-2008 08:28

up until i fell out with my neighbour we used to get them from a farm in Ribchester and they where much bigger

emzy 08-09-2008 08:28

quite possible. Might start getting mine off the market, the free range eggs are so expensive though

SPUGGIE J 08-09-2008 08:30

There is a lot of "shrinkage" going on so that they can maintain there prices and its not just supermarkets as even Macky D's are at it. Its been happening in the sweets industry for years because if you think back al those years ago to those you ate as a kid they have shrunk. To the point that flashy made on the eggs it might be a false econemy as sometimes say for scrambled egg you could need half as many eggs again as you did originally.

MargaretR 08-09-2008 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 628537)
quite possible. Might start getting mine off the market, the free range eggs are so expensive though

There are allotment holders locally who sell eggs.
My supplier has put his price up in the past year because the cost of chicken feed has gone up.
He says he will always be cheaper than the supermarkets.
The hens are positively free range (can see them running about on grass).
Sometimes the eggs are so big that the eggbox lid wont shut.

Neil 08-09-2008 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 628535)
Maybe it's the battery hens which are finally failing to produce normal size eggs after generations of confinement.

Maybe they just need recharging :rolleyes:

SPUGGIE J 08-09-2008 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 628550)
Maybe they just need recharging :rolleyes:

What with hormone and steriods? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

MissTechnophobe 08-09-2008 09:11

I watched that Jamie Oliver programme, forget what it was called now (funnily enough) but that really made me think about chickens and eggs.

Now I only buy free range chicken and eggs. I know not everyone will change their opinion, but I feel like I'm doing my bit.

I feel that all chickens and indeed all livestock should be allowed to live their lives out in the fresh air and not be cooped up (excuse the pun) as they are. They don't have long on this planet as it is, so what little time they have should be as free as possible.

SPUGGIE J 08-09-2008 09:11

The Wandering Wilber kind that have there equivelent of 5 star food do drop better tasting and looking additions to my bacon butty. :D On a slight "off road" theme when they end up as roasters do they taste as good? Had Free Range eggs but never a roaster.

flashy 08-09-2008 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissTechnophobe (Post 628558)
I watched that Jamie Oliver programme, forget what it was called now (funnily enough) but that really made me think about chickens and eggs.

Now I only buy free range chicken and eggs. I know not everyone will change their opinion, but I feel like I'm doing my bit.

I feel that all chickens and indeed all livestock should be allowed to live their lives out in the fresh air and not be cooped up (excuse the pun) as they are. They don't have long on this planet as it is, so what little time they have should be as free as possible.

was that not the one where Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall brought Jamie Oliver onto his programme on his 'chicken out' campaign?

MissTechnophobe 08-09-2008 09:56

I don't think so, it was the one where he was doing live slaughters on TV - fairly recent perhaps a couple of months ago? Pretty horrific stuff

flashy 08-09-2008 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissTechnophobe (Post 628567)
I don't think so, it was the one where he was doing live slaughters on TV - fairly recent perhaps a couple of months ago? Pretty horrific stuff

lol Hugh did exactly the same, they where both involved in the same campaign

emamum 08-09-2008 09:58

ewww......the one with the chicks in the electrical box, that was horrible!!!!!