Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Underappreciated highlights of our towns (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/underappreciated-highlights-of-our-towns-42689.html)

blazey 18-09-2008 09:33

Underappreciated highlights of our towns

I went to town today to collect some PC speakers off Margaret Pilkington (Thanks Margaret!) and pick up some floor tiles for my mum and I had walked into town and hadn't really contemplated how I was going to actually get home. Fortunately I had a last £10 in my bank otherwise I'd have had to carry them all the way to the top end of ossy.

Anyway, I got the M&M bus because it happened to be there at the time and even better, I knew it stopped right outside my house, so I wouldn't have to walk up the steep hill. Now whilst on the bus I was thinking how pleasant and yet rare it was to find a bus driver quite like the chap that drives that bus, yet so many people seem to turn their noses up at the little bus.

Wouldn't it be a shame to lose that service?

What else can you think of around the local towns that aren't appreciated as much as they should be?

And again, thanks Margaret :) and thanks to Pam1 who also helped me out recently! It's been a real help.

trio 18-09-2008 11:14

Re: Underappreciated highlights of our towns

Yeh Ive been getting M & M buses to work every morning. The only thing I dont like is when they stop at the traffic lights for you and the bus starts to move whilst you get off!

WillowTheWhisp 18-09-2008 11:34

I probably take so much for granted. I can't actually think of anything off hand.

cashman 18-09-2008 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by trio (Post 632305)
Yeh Ive been getting M & M buses to work every morning. The only thing I dont like is when they stop at the traffic lights for you and the bus starts to move whilst you get off!

as the guys doin ya a favour,letting ya get off at the lights, aint a reasonable gripe/:)

Less 18-09-2008 14:17

What a sad area we live in!

Travelling on a bus is a highlight?

No it isn't, it's something we the populace should expect and if maggie hadn't done her privatising with public transport it should, could, would, have been a darn site better than it is now.

Anybody remember all the clapped out buses that were brought out of retirement and given licences when the scheme first started? No wonder checks even today take buses off the road, when the local councils ran it at least they had proper maintenance and a time-table resembling reality could be published.

blazey 18-09-2008 17:26

But Less, it is the man himself that is what makes the service good, his personality is what makes it a pleasure to get on.

There is nothing wrong with the main bus service but the drivers are miserable and I'm pretty sure that Maggie had more of an effect and lasting impression on the man that drives the M&M's bus than the much younger drivers of the main buses.

Besides, I haven't ever seen Labour do anything to support small local businesses so it is hardly something you can just blame Maggie for. Labour is just as bad for leaving things how they are.

panther 18-09-2008 17:28

I dont get the bus anymore...its a bloody rip off!!

:D

Less 18-09-2008 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 632384)
But Less, it is the man himself that is what makes the service good, his personality is what makes it a pleasure to get on.

There is nothing wrong with the main bus service but the drivers are miserable and I'm pretty sure that Maggie had more of an effect and lasting impression on the man that drives the M&M's bus than the much younger drivers of the main buses.

Besides, I haven't ever seen Labour do anything to support small local businesses so it is hardly something you can just blame Maggie for. Labour is just as bad for leaving things how they are.

Will you please go out and get drunk, then stay drunk enough to keep your fingers off the keyboard? The web isn't ready to compensate for your wanderings, it's too busy trying to keep up with mine!
:p

magpie 18-09-2008 19:16

If they brought back bus conductors, then I would consider travelling by bus...
But late at night I would not feel safe...
I feel so sorry for the drivers when things kick off; and they often do.
My dad was a bus driver for 20 years and hated it when they got rid of the conductors:
so my car it is:
The same goes with trains... the stations need people in addition to cameras for
security:

MargaretR 18-09-2008 19:31

M & M buses are old bangers but if one of theirs arrives at the stop first I get on.
The alternative is a Transdev monopoly which would drive up fares.

blazey 18-09-2008 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 632426)
Will you please go out and get drunk, then stay drunk enough to keep your fingers off the keyboard? The web isn't ready to compensate for your wanderings, it's too busy trying to keep up with mine!
:p

I do come on here drunk sometimes :p especially when I'm at uni. I would honestly like to know whether people think there are things that go under appreciated in the town though so that I too might think, ah yes, and enjoy it a bit more.

I guess one of the things back in the day would have been the arndale clock, but you don't really appreciate things like that til they are gone.

BERNADETTE 18-09-2008 20:01

Never had any problems with the drivers on Transdev, they all seem quite cheerful to me. Can understand people using the M&M bus as it saves the drag uphill but always found them to be quite poky and quite often non to clean

cashman 18-09-2008 20:10

i appreciated most of the boozers very much,until they did away with vaults n stuff n opened em all out n made " Plastic Pubs".:(

Sara 19-09-2008 18:49

Think the via-duct (railway arches) is unappreaciated. Never get tired of looking at it.

Caz 19-09-2008 19:06

Quote:

Think the via-duct (railway arches) is unappreaciated.
Would second that. Also our canals. We walk them , cycle them, fish them, take them for granted. But not every town has a canal running through it. And when you think of the many years... and the graft that that was involved to build them.... Restoration is long overdue in some areas.