Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Pub Closures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/pub-closures-43477.html)

Benipete 25-10-2008 01:40

Pub Closures

Over the last six months 960 more pubs have closed.
Now I am doing my best but am need of help,any suggestions?
Consumption is down by 1.3 million pints of beer a day.:thepint::cheers:

blazey 25-10-2008 05:20

Re: Pub Closures

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 644411)
Over the last six months 960 more pubs have closed.
Now I am doing my best but am need of help,any suggestions?
Consumption is down by 1.3 million pints of beer a day.:thepint::cheers:

Attract the students. I like open mic nights personally. Giving people opportunities to do whatever it is they do without having to pay them, offer them the opportunity to advertise to your customers.

If they are clearly liked you could offer them incentives to play again. For example, you'll pay them so much if they attract a particular number of customers. In essence it would be like having a temporary shareholder for the evening who gets to take home a small cut of the profit.

We have an interesting night called stock market night. Basically, the least popular drinks are the cheapest, the most popular are expensive. Technically, this backfires if everyone is following the bars too closely and you need a good amount of people in, but it is a lot of fun but I suppose can get quite complicated for you. I think it's a fun night though.

Offer your pubs space for the fundraisers too. They will be looking for venues for their raising money and the people that attend them will inevitably buy drinks.

jaysay 25-10-2008 09:07

To be quite honest Beni, the breweries have been killing the pubs for years, with their pricing policy and extortionate rents. Also taking into mind that Super Markets are flogging bear very cheap, as you told us
yesterday Beni, the local is on a downer:(

Wynonie Harris 25-10-2008 09:08

The decline of the British pub is a source of constant sorrow to me. The Blackburn Road area where I did so much of my drinking in the 70's is fast becoming a pub-less wasteland...the Langs...Palatine...Union...Globe...Miners...Antley ...and many more all gone. Like you, Pete, I'm doing my best to help them out, but there's only so much us dedicated drinkers can do. The fact is, there's less drinkers to go round and landlords/managers simply have to put that extra effort in to make their pub a welcoming, enjoyable place to be. A prime example is the Oaklea where I'm headed to later. In fact, I might get there early and have a couple of extra pints - my small contribution to alleviating the situation! :D

Benipete 25-10-2008 16:55

Quote;
We have an interesting night called stock market night. Basically, the least popular drinks are the cheapest, the most popular are expensive. Technically, this backfires if everyone is following the bars too closely and you need a good amount of people in, but it is a lot of fun but I suppose can get quite complicated for you. I think it's a fun night though.

The last thing your new allegiance needs is a Stock market night.Try a Boom and Bust night.:tongueout:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

SPUGGIE J 25-10-2008 18:49

Like na few hours now and again in the pub but as they are getting rare and expensive maybe its time to have hooch dens.

Lilly 25-10-2008 21:44

I too do my best but these days it seems we're fighting a losing battle. :rolleyes:

shillelagh 25-10-2008 22:43

When i go in a pub im probably their worst customer drinking orange and soda all night or all day depends on what time i go in!!!!:D:D:D

Royboy39 25-10-2008 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 644509)
Quote;

The last thing your new allegiance needs is a Stock market night.Try a Boom and Bust night.:tongueout:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

Pubs...dead.....Entertainment....dead.....Farming Industry.....dead....Economy.....dead.....Pound almost dead....Pensions..In a mess....Blazy in her infinate, although limited wisdom, dares to fly that bloody flag.......Stock Market Indeed :confused:

garinda 25-10-2008 22:50

The last time I was in a pub in the U.K. was last December, for the Accy Web meet.

As a smoker, living in a wet and windy country, the smoking ban has certainly curtailed my visits to the boozer.

Royboy39 25-10-2008 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 644590)
The last time I was in a pub in the U.K. was last December, for the Accy Web meet.

As a smoker, living in a wet and windy country, the smoking ban has certainly curtailed my visits to the boozer.

The last time I was in a club was to celebrate my daughters 40th birthday at the Enfield Cricket Club....Drinks reasonable...Food fine...but having a smoke overlooking a desolate and rain swept cricket field was degrading in the extreme.
Vote Labour.....not on your nellie. :eek:

shillelagh 25-10-2008 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 644587)
When i go in a pub im probably their worst customer drinking orange and soda all night or all day depends on what time i go in!!!!:D:D:D

Then again - im probably where they make their cash - £1.25 for a pint of orange and soda - made with cordial - that's the price of a full bottle of cordial. Mind you i have been charged more than that!!!!

SPUGGIE J 25-10-2008 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 644592)
Then again - im probably where they make their cash - £1.25 for a pint of orange and soda - made with cordial - that's the price of a full bottle of cordial. Mind you i have been charged more than that!!!!

Keeps em in business in someway so its ok. Beats a pub of drunken louts.

Less 25-10-2008 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 644589)
Pubs...dead.....Entertainment....dead.....Farming Industry.....dead....Economy.....dead.....Pound almost dead....Pensions..In a mess....Blazy in her infinate, although limited wisdom, dares to fly that bloody flag.......Stock Market Indeed :confused:

You missed out Brain dead which is what anyone that puts an oxymoron such as
Quote:

infinite although limited
in the same statement!

;)

vicky1 26-10-2008 15:12

Just heard the other night that the Pioneer club is in danger of closing down too.