Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Unidentified bleep (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/unidentified-bleep-44163.html)

Royboy39 05-12-2008 12:34

Re: Unidentified bleep

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 657531)
Further developments-
I disconnected the cordless radio phone and replaced it with a 'normal' phone but the bleeps continued.
The double bleep returned, and I traced that to be my spare PC which (I think) was 'asking' to be updated, because I hadn't switched it on for 2 months.
Now I have installed updates on it, that double bleep has stopped.
I still have one unidentified single tone bleep - it may be the fridge freezer - the only item that hasn't been unplugged for test purposes.
I will now try to find the instruction book for it, to see if a bleep is mentioned in it.
Meanwhile the problem has been halved and I can live with that.
Thanks for your suggestions

You don't use heated rollers by any chance? :)

MargaretR 05-12-2008 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 657535)
You don't use heated rollers by any chance? :)

NO - and if that means you imagine me as Nora Batty - I identify more with Edie(Thora Hird) - my mum was her lookaliky - and one of my exes was a motor mechanic

K.S.H 05-12-2008 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 657531)
The double bleep returned, and I traced that to be my spare PC which (I think) was 'asking' to be updated, because I hadn't switched it on for 2 months.

It wouldn't beep if it was turned off

ossykid 05-12-2008 15:42

Unplug the fridge/freezer Margaret, it will stay cold/frozen for at least 10 hours depending on how often you open it but long enough to check the beep.

MargaretR 05-12-2008 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.S.H (Post 657565)

I thought that too:confused: but a switch on and update has cured it - it was connected to a Livebox by an ethernet cable - perhaps that was doing the bleeping - they are adjacent to each other.

Still considering whether to mess withh freezer - thanks anyway

K.S.H 05-12-2008 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.S.H (Post 657565)

Or will it :confused:
Might do when the CMOS battery is ready for changing - not sure if it does it when not turned on though, you get the bleep codes at boot up which tell you certain things and low CMOS battery is one of them

andrewb 06-12-2008 11:14

I didn't think cmos bleeped when not turned on. Would be a bit of a waste of it's battery? Not like its a fire alarm

Have you identified the bleep yet? This has gone on for a while, you must be going batty. ;)

MargaretR 06-12-2008 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 657756)
I didn't think cmos bleeped when not turned on. Would be a bit of a waste of it's battery? Not like its a fire alarm

Have you identified the bleep yet? This has gone on for a while, you must be going batty. ;)

Another one mistaking me for Norah:rolleyes: must change avatar
The double bleep was the worst one - now gone.
This single bleep is not as loud and intrusive - I can cope:D

Retlaw 06-12-2008 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 657757)
The double bleep was the worst one - now gone.
This single bleep is not as loud and intrusive - I can cope:D

Aw Margaret don't change your avatar, we know your not a Nora Batty look a like, its just a bit of fun. I've been told by some I look like Freddy Kruger from Nightmare on Elm St, others have called me Greengrass. Does'nt bother me.

Retlaw.

Neil 06-12-2008 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 657756)
I didn't think cmos bleeped when not turned on. Would be a bit of a waste of it's battery?

I have never come across one that did yet. I did wonder if it was on standby and not shut down. The other explaination is that since ATX PSU's came along they do have a constant 5v supply to the motherboard. It is used for switching the PC on as well as wake on lan and other wake up PC functions like serial and mouse, keyboard etc. So maybe it was bleeping for something - maybe just to remind you it was on standby.

Retlaw 28-12-2008 11:19

MargaretR

When Maragret suggested changing her avatar, it set me to thinking, every one should have their true likeness on display.

So at great expense, I've had my photo taken, and the new avatar is me.

Retlaw.

Studio25 28-12-2008 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 663540)
When Maragret suggested changing her avatar, it set me to thinking, every one should have their true likeness on display.

I've been thinking for a while that we should have "avatar day" at the shop- where any accywebbers can come in and get their photo taken and have it sent by email in the right format along with instructions for changing their avatar.

I wasn't thinking it necessarily needs to be true likeness though- any object which best "describes" the member will do.

jaysay 29-12-2008 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 663540)
MargaretR

So at great expense, I've had my photo taken, and the new avatar is me.

Retlaw.

Well the hat matches, but not sure about the fingernails Retlaw:D

SPUGGIE J 29-12-2008 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 663562)
I've been thinking for a while that we should have "avatar day" at the shop- where any accywebbers can come in and get their photo taken and have it sent by email in the right format along with instructions for changing their avatar.

I wasn't thinking it necessarily needs to be true likeness though- any object which best "describes" the member will do.

Sounds like a good idea but will some of us not scare off potential new members with our mugs in the avatar box????

Studio25 29-12-2008 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J (Post 663877)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 663562)
I've been thinking for a while that we should have "avatar day" at the shop...

Sounds like a good idea but will some of us not scare off potential new members with our mugs in the avatar box????

Not if the two accyweb babes who were in the shop a couple of hours ago are anything to go by. :dancedog:

Doesn't need to be faces: If you're a musician, bring in your instrument (ooer). If you're a petrolhead, we'll get your car in the frame. etc