Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The World will end - ITS SNOWING ?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-world-will-end-its-snowing-44250.html)

***Mr D*** 02-12-2008 15:41

The World will end - ITS SNOWING ??

Cant believe the amount of Schools and works I have heard that have closed today because its snowing.

Whats wrong it was only a tiny amount, I can remember many years ago when it was a foot + deep.

Are we going soft?

On a down side - No my works didnt close, on the upsaide I didnt have to finish work as my kids school didnt close.

So did you have a day off.

emamum 02-12-2008 15:44

Re: The World will end - ITS SNOWING ??

nope, ty was still at school today

aparently its raining all the snow away in colne, hopefully it will come and do ours next :)

Kitkat 02-12-2008 15:53

Just to make you feel better - I had to work all day too - seems lots of schools closed - question WHY ???????????? a little snow brings all of England to a stand still

MargaretR 02-12-2008 16:01

Fifty years ago we were able to cope because most people worked and went to school within walking distance from home or only a short bus ride away

emzy 02-12-2008 16:03

The school near me closed today, not too sure why, i made it out once or twice and the local bus was making its usual journeys (nearly ran me off the road driving like a ......erm...... wont say it but you know what i mean) My world didnt end, just carried on as normal

lancsdave 02-12-2008 16:15

Many schools close because the teachers don't live on the doorstep.While it may have seemed not too bad down in the town centre, further out and higher up it has been quite bad to drive. I didn't risk taking my car off the street because there's a downhill bit that I didn't fancy trying to stop on if I had to, and end up going straight out in to Willows Lane in front of somebody else.

The problem is a lot of people have to try and get around at the same time and a couple of bumps create havoc. I know somebody on the X43 bus this morning took 2.5 hours to get to Manchester.

If you don't need to go out there's no point doing so, makes it easier for those who have to :)

panther 02-12-2008 16:52

Rhyddings got sent home today cuz of the snow!!, i wouldnt mind but it started to melt a bit then:confused:

churchman phil 02-12-2008 16:54

Accrington Academy closed at lunchtime due to the boiler overheating apparently.

***Mr D*** 02-12-2008 17:04

Im just glad my daughters school didnt close. It would of been a hassle sorting someone to pick her up and watch her.

Glad to read a letter from her school "However bad the weather, school will never close during the course of a working day".

And cant see why they had to close a secondary school with a few hours left to go because the boiler packed in. :confused:

MCR ADIM 02-12-2008 17:58

the school would of had to close because all school rooms have to be above a certain temperture and if they are not than health and safety say your not allowed to work in the class room etc

Sara 02-12-2008 18:15

Got sent home at around 1.30pm, normally finish at 4pm. So not complaining about myself. But will be glad when my husband and son gets in from work.

entwisi 02-12-2008 18:36

worked from home so nope, no day off even though I couldn't get to work.

VPN, its teh Future! :D

West Ender 02-12-2008 18:55

Here in Lymm we have had several heavy falls of hail and rain but no snow. It is now very wet and very cold.

Eric 02-12-2008 19:45

This is funny:D

BERNADETTE 02-12-2008 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 656792)
This is funny:D

No it isn't it is horrible:p

Lilly 02-12-2008 21:12

Our school did not close due to the snow but I know that some in Ossy did.

Like Lancsdave said, some teachers live quite a way away so if they can't get in to school on time or at all then the school can't be open.

Eric 02-12-2008 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 656796)
No it isn't it is horrible:p

Snicker, snicker ... bunch of wimps:D:hidewall::D

cashman 02-12-2008 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 656816)
Our school did not close due to the snow but I know that some in Ossy did.

Like Lancsdave said, some teachers live quite a way away so if they can't get in to school on time or at all then the school can't be open.

thats summat that puzzles me, don't remember any teacher living near me when i was young, school never closed,:confused: not rocket science surely to recruit local?:confused:

Lilly 02-12-2008 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 656823)
thats summat that puzzles me, don't remember any teacher living near me when i was young, school never closed,:confused: not rocket science surely to recruit local?:confused:

I was never made aware of where my teachers lived when I was at school so can't comment on that one. :p:)

Years ago not all teachers would have had a car so would have had to work locally.

Not so these days, they have the choice of working locally or if they get a job at a particular school in another town they could take that.

Both have their plusses and minuses I would think.

If a teacher works in their home town......well, they have no problem getting to work in the snow.

If they work away from their home town they get a bit of respite from seeing the kids at evenings/weekends. :D

Benipete 02-12-2008 22:09

Seems to me that people used to have a reason not to go to work.Now they just have an excuse.:hidewall::hidewall:

cashman 02-12-2008 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 656840)
Seems to me that people used to have a reason not to go to work.Now they just have an excuse.:hidewall::hidewall:

funny that same conversation has gone on at tea time with 3 of us, all reached the same conclusion.;)

lancsdave 02-12-2008 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 656841)
funny that same conversation has gone on at tea time with 3 of us, all reached the same conclusion.;)

In case you lot haven't noticed they have also stopped sending little boys up chimneys too :p

Benipete 02-12-2008 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 656841)

So who else is in the clique?:D:D

Benipete 02-12-2008 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 656844)
In case you lot haven't noticed they have also stopped sending little boys up chimneys too :p

Yes but they are still in the trade as Fender Smiths,That is when they can get there.:eek::D

cashman 02-12-2008 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 656844)

yeh well gas n central heating put paid to that, would have been a great job fer young offenders.;)

polly 02-12-2008 23:04

I canceled my appointments and worked from home. I cant see the point of going out in this weather if you dont have too

Benipete 02-12-2008 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 656856)
I canceled my appointments and worked from home. I cant see the point of going out in this weather if you dont have too

That's all well and good if you can do that,but millions of people brave the elements and go to work because they know that people depend on them.
Well that and they don't get paid to stay at home.Countries gone soft!!!:confused::confused:

Eric 03-12-2008 00:55

Just got back from a walk downtown to see the lights, the store displays, the tree in market square and the lights on the trees in the inner harbour. The ferry to Wolfe Island (for some strage reason they call her the Wolfe Islander) is also all dressed up for Christmas .... more snow would be real nice:alright:

Benipete 03-12-2008 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 656879)
Just got back from a walk downtown to see the lights, the store displays, the tree in market square and the lights on the trees in the inner harbour. The ferry to Wolfe Island (for some strage reason they call her the Wolfe Islander) is also all dressed up for Christmas .... more snow would be real nice:alright:

Get back to bed or I'll call the nurse:hehetable

derekgas 03-12-2008 02:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 656782)
worked from home so nope, no day off even though I couldn't get to work.

VPN, its teh Future! :D

Garlic breads the future.. vpn is the here and now! :D

Neil 03-12-2008 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 656819)
Snicker, snicker ... bunch of wimps:D:hidewall::D

I prefer the term pussy's but yes you are right mate it is pathetic.

LCC or HBC need a good slap for not being prepared road wise ( not sure who is responsible but assume LCC because they do roads - I think they might contract it out to HBC though). Lancashire Education Authority need to sort themselves out some emergency plans that do not involve closing schools after a couple of inches of snow.

Neil 03-12-2008 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 656856)
I cancelled my appointments and worked from home.

So how many of your customers ( or whatever it is you do ) did you let down for a couple of inches of snow?

jaysay 03-12-2008 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 656787)
Here in Lymm we have had several heavy falls of hail and rain but no snow. It is now very wet and very cold.

Its not allowed to snow in Lymm is it West Ender:D

Studio25 03-12-2008 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 656894)
So how many of your customers ( or whatever it is you do ) did you let down for a couple of inches of snow?

That's not very fair. There are more issues than just one's own ability to cope with "a couple of inches". Risk management comes into it when you start to consider other people's competence (or lack of it).

I was stuck in weather-affected traffic yesterday. While moving at walking pace, someone slammed into me from a side road because she couldn't stop.

Today, did the same journey over the ice-sheet backroads near Sabden. Those roads were empty, so even though it was more slippy than the main road, I only had my own competence (or lack of it) to worry about. If the journey wasn't necessary, I'd have stayed at home.

lancsdave 03-12-2008 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 656893)
LCC or HBC need a good slap for not being prepared road wise

And there lies one of the major problems today as opposed to the good old days where things didn't stop. There used to be a small army of council workers out gritting roads AND SIDE STREETS, and pavements. You could also find convenient grit bunkers to do it yourself until the mindless morons kept vandalising them all.

Neil 03-12-2008 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 656906)
That's not very fair.

That depends on what she does and if you were let down by her or not.

Neil 03-12-2008 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 656915)
You could also find convenient grit bunkers to do it yourself until the mindless morons kept vandalising them all.

We still have them around here.

polly 03-12-2008 13:29

Simple answer to that, as many as would have let me down if I had turned up! without exception they all said 'oh I'm glad about that' and then went on to tell me what awful journeys they had already had.

jaysay 03-12-2008 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 656893)
I prefer the term pussy's but yes you are right mate it is pathetic.

LCC or HBC need a good slap for not being prepared road wise ( not sure who is responsible but assume LCC because they do roads - I think they might contract it out to HBC though). Lancashire Education Authority need to sort themselves out some emergency plans that do not involve closing schools after a couple of inches of snow.

Didn't answer this question this morning Neil because I was not quite sure what the set up is now, but I know a man who does (not PB either), so I enquired. It appears that LCC are totally responsible for gritting the roads, HBC may have an agreement to do some gritting but would only do the roads requested to do so by county hall.

Neil 03-12-2008 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 657001)
Didn't answer this question this morning Neil because I was not quite sure what the set up is now, but I know a man who does (not PB either), so I enquired. It appears that LCC are totally responsible for gritting the roads, HBC may have an agreement to do some gritting but would only do the roads requested to do so by county hall.

I thought HBC owned the gritters and did what they were told by LCC on contract. Is that correct or am I wrong as usual?

So it was LCC that let us down again.

More schools are shut tomorrow. St. Christopher's decided today they will be shut tomorrow just because bad weather is forecast :eek:

Taggy 03-12-2008 17:06

Its not just the roads either. The Pavements in Accrington Town Centre today have been horrendous. Ice everywhere. I struggled walking around, and that was on Broadway. It must be absolutely frightening for Older people who need to get to the shops. Also for Wheelchair Users and people with prams. Surely we have enough resources to make the main shopping areas safe?

Best Regards - Taggy

panther 03-12-2008 17:13

isnt it supposed to snow tonight or in the morning?

***Mr D*** 03-12-2008 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 657010)
Its not just the roads either. The Pavements in Accrington Town Centre today have been horrendous. Ice everywhere. I struggled walking around, and that was on Broadway. It must be absolutely frightening for Older people who need to get to the shops. Also for Wheelchair Users and people with prams. Surely we have enough resources to make the main shopping areas safe?

Best Regards - Taggy

I cant see any evidence of gritting anywhere.

And yes twice today i have slipped over luckly I can break my fall but for older and less abled people it must be a nightmare.

Schools closing due to a forcast, Discracefull.

emamum 03-12-2008 17:30

i got the bus into town today, was awful, i have enough food, gas and electric now so will stay in.

Eric 03-12-2008 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 657014)
I cant see any evidence of gritting anywhere.

And yes twice today i have slipped over luckly I can break my fall but for older and less abled people it must be a nightmare.

Schools closing due to a forcast, Discracefull.

What you guys need are sidewalk (oops, sorry Pavement) plows; neat little tracked plows that also put sand (grit, if you prefer) on the sidewalks.

lancsdave 03-12-2008 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 657008)
I thought HBC owned the gritters and did what they were told by LCC on contract. Is that correct or am I wrong as usual?

More schools are shut tomorrow. St. Christopher's decided today they will be shut tomorrow just because bad weather is forecast :eek:

St Oswalds is closed tomorrow based on the forecast. I can see the logic as the forecasts are always 100% correct ;)

lindsay ormerod 03-12-2008 17:57

Just had a text from a friend saying Granada reports had announced all local schools would be closed due to the forecasted snow! I can't find anything to back this up, anyone know anything?

emamum 03-12-2008 18:02

BBC - Lancashire - Travel - School closures across Lancashire

this has a list of ones that shut so far.

lindsay ormerod 03-12-2008 18:07

Cheers Em, don't think I will even attempt to get the child to Haslingden tomorrow if it's as predicted, will keep checking that site for info though.

emamum 03-12-2008 18:08

i wont be walking up that hill tomorrow,its not too bad in the snow but impossible in ice!

polly 03-12-2008 19:27

Well I asked at home if, with the weather being so bad, I might put my car in the garage!
Family are still laughing at me!!

Does anyone under 80 use their garage for p0arking their car in nowadays?

lindsay ormerod 03-12-2008 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 657047)
Well I asked at home if, with the weather being so bad, I might put my car in the garage!

Doesn't apply as I have neither car nor garage,. though garage would be handy for storing junk in........hahahaah:eek:

cashman 03-12-2008 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 657047)

dont have a garage now, but have had 4 with different houses, never used 1 of em fer the car.:D

BERNADETTE 03-12-2008 20:23

Hollins kids have been told not to go to school of the weather that is forecast happens.

As for the state of the pavements went to Burnley today and theirs are as bad as Accringtons. It is absolutely disgraceful that none of the councils are clearing the snow off the pavements. God knows what they will be like tomorrow if the snow that is forecast appears.

MargaretR 03-12-2008 20:34

I bet you all wish you could hibernate -'like what I do':D

magpie 03-12-2008 20:56

down town the pavements were treacherous, they always used to put a bit of grit on the main shopping streets: what do we pay our council tax for...a bit of snow and ice that's it the country shuts down:

Lilly 03-12-2008 21:04

Quote:

St. Christopher's decided today they will be shut tomorrow just because bad weather is forecast :eek:

Deciding today that they will be closed tomorrow is a bit much.

We don't know how bad it will be until we open the curtains in the morning. They should make the decision tomorrow. We might not even get more snow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 657026)
Just had a text from a friend saying Granada reports had announced all local schools would be closed due to the forecasted snow! I can't find anything to back this up, anyone know anything?

It is not true that all local schools have already made the decision to close tomorrow. Our school sent notes out telling parents they may be closed tomorrow if the snow is bad and that it would be mentioned on Radio Lancashire in the morning if so.

West Ender 03-12-2008 22:16

What has happened to British True Grit? In 1947 I, at the age of 4, used to plod up Aspen Lane in West End (when it was just a country lane) to school with the snow deeper than my wellies. There were power cuts every day, coal and coke were rationed, but the school never shut. During 1947 my dad went to work in Bolton every day. He was in business, on his own, he couldn't afford to be closed for a day.

I slithered my way to and from Paddock House School on many a snowy day. Who remembers those God-awful mortar-board hats we girls had to wear? They were a prime target for snowballs.

In 1962/63 I worked in Bury tax Office. I had to go by bus to Accrington then by steam train to Bury. The unheated trains often stopped at Ramsbottom for a couple of hours and I could be up to 3 hours late for work. I used to be told to work through my lunch-break, to make up some time, but no one ever suggested I should stay at home.

England has become a Nation of wimps. An inch or two of snow and everything grinds to a halt!

Royboy39 03-12-2008 22:25

I was eight in 1947 and remember it well.
My stepfather had a tipper truck and the ice and compacted snow was tipped into the sewers to get shut.
Happy days.

cashman 03-12-2008 22:28

thanks west ender i would have said Britain has become a nation of wimps, but i am too diplomatic.:D

Royboy39 03-12-2008 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 657124)
thanks west ender i would have said Britain has become a nation of wimps, but i am too diplomatic.:D

Ye....and then some :p

shillelagh 04-12-2008 00:00

Its just started snowing here .........

jaysay 04-12-2008 09:29

Quote:

Apparently not Neil, as I said I didn't know so I asked and apparently its solely LCCs baby. In fact there was a report in the LET yesterday with regards to road gritting, comments came from B with D and LCC, if local councils had any responsibility on gritting I'm sure Pendle, Burnley, Rossendale, Ribble Valley and Hyndburn would have been mentioned

***Mr D*** 04-12-2008 09:55

I really find it pathetic that Schools have shut.

The problems it could cause families who have to find someone to watch the kid or lose a days wages, good show coming up to christmas just what we need.

garinda 04-12-2008 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 657194)
I really find it pathetic that Schools have shut.

The problems it could cause families who have to find someone to watch the kid or lose a days wages, good show coming up to christmas just what we need.

Besides the interruption to children's education, it will cost the country millions of pounds in lost man hours.

Thet decided yesterday to close all 94 schools in Rochdale, and the snow never came!

Heavy snow fears melt away - News - Rochdale Observer

magpie 04-12-2008 10:57

so where was all the snow then.... all I got is slush

jaysay 04-12-2008 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 657230)
so where was all the snow then.... all I got is slush

Thats what happens whe you have a lie in magpie:rolleyes:

magpie 04-12-2008 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 657238)
Thats what happens whe you have a lie in magpie:rolleyes:

ah but I have the flu again... do lazy day on the couch: and just look at all the work I should be doing: good job there really is a santa :-)

south aussie 04-12-2008 11:08

i saw snow for the first time in over 28 years on Mt wellington [TASMANIA]
last year
The only time schools close in South Australia [other than strikes ]is when it is to hot

jaysay 04-12-2008 16:21

You sould be so lucky SA its flamming tatas here http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_8.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_5.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_6.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_2v.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_4.gif

Sara 04-12-2008 17:13

Talk about slush, my feet got soaked going to work this morning. Put my socks and trousers in the dryer but couldn't get my boots dry, due to no heating. Apparantly (sp) we won't have any heating tomorrow either, it could get to Monday afternoon before we can get oil delivered. It was near freezing all day.

Benipete 04-12-2008 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 657124)

I bet if these wimps had been going abroad they would have made it to the Airport.:hehetable

forceten 04-12-2008 21:34

I got a text message from my daughters school today to say that her school was shut...........this came at 8.15am when she normally sets off at 8am. But I told her that I would take her this morning, so she didn't have to walk in the slush and be in wet clothes all day.

I work at the hospital.............how would it be if the hospital staff just decided that they could shut it for the day?

Luckily the roads were ok today, and I had no problem in getting to work, but I do know that some nurses walked to work today, and walked a far distance as well.

I went to work today, and left my daughter with a friend ...........but I did come home early, but after making sure that everything was ok in my job, and the only reason that I came home was that I have a disabled son who can't be left alone for any lengthy period.

cashman 04-12-2008 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by forceten (Post 657430)
I got a text message from my daughters school today to say that her school was shut...........this came at 8.15am when she normally sets off at 8am. But I told her that I would take her this morning, so she didn't have to walk in the slush and be in wet clothes all day.

I work at the hospital.............how would it be if the hospital staff just decided that they could shut it for the day?

Luckily the roads were ok today, and I had no problem in getting to work, but I do know that some nurses walked to work today, and walked a far distance as well.

sadly thats a novelty now forceten not the norm, GOOD ON THE NURSES.:)

Benipete 04-12-2008 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 657432)
sadly thats a novelty now forceten not the norm, GOOD ON THE NURSES.:)

I was in B'burn Royal today for an Op. and the nurses were saying how hard they found it to get in,But they all did.
I was shifting snow at 5 o'clock this morning to get there for 7-30.:jimbo::jimbo:Did my back in but I got there.:dancedog:

Studio25 05-12-2008 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 657245)
...I have the flu again... do lazy day on the couch...

Even your typing sounds like it has the 'flu.

Eric 05-12-2008 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 657436)
I was in B'burn Royal today for an Op. and the nurses were saying how hard they found it to get in,But they all did.
I was shifting snow at 5 o'clock this morning to get there for 7-30.:jimbo::jimbo:Did my back in but I got there.:dancedog:

Next time I'll lend you my snowblower :alright:

katex 05-12-2008 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 657010)

Best Regards - Taggy

Would you believe it Taggy, but the reason the councils do not grit the pavements anymore is due to the fact that if they grit them and someone falls over and injures themself, then they are liable to the compensation culture, (due to not gritting it well enough) whereas not recognising the problem will not involve them.

Taggy 05-12-2008 18:10

Yes Katex...unfortunately I do Believe it!!! Crazy Little World!!

Best Regards - Taggy