Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Fined For Rollerblading. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/fined-for-rollerblading-45836.html)

jambutty 25-02-2009 11:49

Fined For Rollerblading.

Geoffrey Dornan, a roller-skating pensioner has been fined £300 plus £1,800 costs after he was filmed skating along a street in Southport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7908446.stm

My first reaction was to sympathise with Geoffrey Dornan and to label the Sefton Council with words that are not printable in this forum.

But having viewed the CCTV of his foray around the precinct and his interview, that sympathy dissipated rather rapidly.

It is difficult to judge his speed from the CCTV as he flashed around but it was certainly faster than the fastest disabled buggie, which I believe is 8 mph and in any case should not be driven at that speed on pavements and pedestrian areas.

It is not known if Sefton Council has also taken cyclists to court for similar offences or people in self propelled wheel chairs or those disabled motorised buggies. For surely the by-law covers them too. “The by-law states that ‘no person shall skate, slide or ride on rollers, skateboards or other self-propelled vehicles in such a manner as to cause danger or annoyance’.

Geoffrey Dornan came across as an arrogant old git who thought that he was above the law. His roller blading antics would be seen as, at the very least, annoying and again judging from the CCTV, dangerous. Whizzing around at speeds in excess of 4 mph amongst pedestrians can only be dangerous in spite of his claims to the contrary.

However the North Sefton Magistrates' Court went over then top in fining him £300 with £1,800 costs. Surely to goodness a restraining order would have sufficed. Geoffrey Dornan is appealing but if the appeal is unsuccessful it has been reported that he will have to sell his car and maybe his house to pay the appeal costs.

I suspect that his attitude in court, as was reported, had something to do with the level of fine. You don’t argue with the bench and interrupt.

MargaretR 25-02-2009 12:11

Re: Fined For Rollerblading.

I think this cantankerous old man should be thankful that he wasn't charged with contempt of court - which could have seen him 'sent down' too.

emzy 25-02-2009 12:41

I wish I could skate like that!!! But on a more serious note, What he was doing was kinda dangerous and although didnt, could have caused an accident. Although I do agree that the costs were a bit steep for the case.

garinda 25-02-2009 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 685138)
I think this cantankerous old man should be thankful that he wasn't charged with contempt of court - which could have seen him 'sent down' too.

That's a bit harsh, just for starting a thread.

Benipete 25-02-2009 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 685149)
I wish I could skate like that!!! But on a more serious note, What he was doing was kinda dangerous and although didnt, could have caused an accident. Although I do agree that the costs were a bit steep for the case.

It does tend to cost a lot when you gob off in a court room.A clear case of talking when you should be listening.:hehetable

jaysay 25-02-2009 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 685181)
It does tend to cost a lot when you gob off in a court room.A clear case of talking when you should be listening.:hehetable

Think that's about right Beni, but even then, rollerblading at 71, must be half pork pie short of a picnic to start with:rolleyes:

steeljack 25-02-2009 16:51

I say give the old guy a break , would the benefit scrounging parents of a 14 year old hoodie skateboarding chav face the same financial penalties for a similar offence ? , think not , the police would be to afraid to full him up in the first place, the Magistrates are just using him as a cash cow, everyone knows owd folk who have work all their life and paid their taxes have lots of money stuffed under the matress
Probably if he had used the local skatepark he would have been locked up as some dirty old prev child molester . :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

keetah992000 25-02-2009 17:08

Would people still have the same feelings of sympathy if this had been a teenager skating around a local shopping centre? I think not - and if they had been on the news and it had been said that a teenager wasnt being charged for such behaviour there would be an outrage i am sure - he got what he deserved- you wouldnt put up with "young un's" doing it so why should you feel sorry for a pensioner?

West Ender 25-02-2009 17:18

Well he was good on the skates, I'll give him that.

His argument that he "goes shopping" on skates in Ormskirk was irrelevant. He wasn't shopping in Southport, he was showing off, he wanted to be noticed. As he quite plainly didn't go into any shop, why didn't he skate along the seafront? It's not very busy at this time of year so he was unlikely to be a potential hazzard. Ah, of course, it's not very busy at this time of year, so nobody would have noticed him, would they?

As for the fine and costs, he got that for "mouth and attitude". Silly old fool.

emamum 25-02-2009 17:21

this is another 'im old and im being victimised' story, like the woman with the cigarette end fine.......... they did something wrong, they got caught, end of!

age has nothing to do with it (although attitude probably did)

Caz 25-02-2009 18:10

I seem to remember this bloke taking part in something on local TV about keeping fit when you are older. I think his 15 minutes of fame must have gone to his head.

katex 25-02-2009 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 685218)
Well he was good on the skates, I'll give him that.

His argument that he "goes shopping" on skates in Ormskirk was irrelevant. He wasn't shopping in Southport, he was showing off, he wanted to be noticed. As he quite plainly didn't go into any shop, why didn't he skate along the seafront? It's not very busy at this time of year so he was unlikely to be a potential hazzard. Ah, of course, it's not very busy at this time of year, so nobody would have noticed him, would they?

As for the fine and costs, he got that for "mouth and attitude". Silly old fool.

In a nutshell West Ender, along with other posts as per this opinion. He complained would not be any music anywhere else .. well, if he wants to get with it, can get one of those earplug thingies.

Agree, the fine was probably 'upt' because of his cheek. They will probably do a deal for him to pay it off at a few quid a week and, at his age, will finish up not being fulfilled.

The silly beggar is appealing against it too !!