Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   IVF mothers can name ANYONE as father (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ivf-mothers-can-name-anyone-as-father-45948.html)

magily 01-03-2009 23:51

IVF mothers can name ANYONE as father

I have just read the daily mail online and the headlines are that women going though ivf can now name anyone as the father. From what I understand this can include anyone who is willing to be responsible for the child. I am really not sure about this, I do think that for lesbian couples it does give the other parent more rights which can be beneficial for the child involved. I think this is a very controversial issue and am interested to know what your thoughts are.

Less 02-03-2009 08:32

Re: IVF mothers can name ANYONE as father

Quote:

Originally Posted by magily (Post 687601)
I have just read the daily mail online and the headlines are that women going though ivf can now name anyone as the father. From what I understand this can include anyone who is willing to be responsible for the child. I am really not sure about this, I do think that for lesbian couples it does give the other parent more rights which can be beneficial for the child involved. I think this is a very controversial issue and am interested to know what your thoughts are.

Well it's a trap for the male ego, I'm getting to the age where if someone named me as the Father I'd be so proud of being accused I'd just have to say I am!

http://planetsmilies.net/obscene-smiley-1036.gif

jaysay 02-03-2009 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 687653)
Well it's a trap for the male ego, I'm getting to the age where if someone named me as the Father I'd be so proud of being accused I'd just have to say I am!

So long as they don't make you say I DO Less:D

emamum 02-03-2009 08:53

Quote:

sorted Less.... i'll let you know when we have to go and register her :D

Less 02-03-2009 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 687662)
sorted Less.... i'll let you know when we have to go and register her :D

http://planetsmilies.net/obscene-smiley-7204.gif

http://planetsmilies.net/obscene-smiley-7186.gif

Not a problem, just one more accyweb cock-up being blamed on me!

http://planetsmilies.net/shocked-smiley-9449.gif

jambutty 02-03-2009 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by magily (Post 687601)

This event raises so many issues it is difficult to know where to begin.

Women in need of IVF treatment need this service because they cannot conceive naturally. The reason could be that their partner is infertile or he has a low sperm count. If the latter then IVF is the only way. If the former and if she is desperate to conceive she should either dump the partner and find someone else or adopt.

However IVF could be storing up problems for the future. Meaning that if the woman is unable to conceive for genetic reasons then there is a fifty-fifty chance that any female offspring will have the same defect. It is not improbable to consider that at some time in the future there will be more women in need of IVF that those who do not.

Then there is the potential danger of ‘designer’ babies. It has already happened where a couple have had IVF treatment to bring into this world a child whose existence is mainly to become a donor (bone marrow) for a sibling.

In the animal world, if a female animal is unable to conceive her imperfect gene pool dies with her. That is nature’s way and you defy nature at your peril.

If the sperm donor is anonymous then the woman’s partner should adopt the child in the same way that a female divorcee with children can have her new partner adopt her children with the natural father’s consent. How you get consent from an anonymous donor is a riddle for the courts to solve.

Lesbian couples should not be allowed to have IVF treatment – FULL STOP!

In the first instance children learn from their parents and with no male parent they could easily grow up thinking that same sex partnership is the norm, when in fact it is not. In the main a lesbian is a lesbian because of her genes and these would be passed on to any female offspring.

Then what happens when it comes to mixing with other ‘normal’ kids in school? I know that kids are resilient and tend to accept life as it is but they can also be very cruel. Imagine what a child of a lesbian couple is likely to go through once it becomes known that it has two mothers and no dad? There is enough bullying in school for all sorts of other reasons without giving the bullies another arrow to their bullying bow.

I would finish with that the needs of the human gene pool as a whole outweighs the desires on an individual.

MargaretR 02-03-2009 13:36

We need the knowhow to do this IVF because pollution is reducing male fertility
BBC NEWS | Health | Traffic 'damages male fertility'
Pollutants 'damage men's fertility' | Society | The Guardian
..so that the men who aren't affected can continue to provide the next generations

magily 02-03-2009 15:16

Wow jambutty good response. In my opinion I think their is a decline in the family uniy and traditions in general and I do not think this is going to help in anyway whatsoever. I do disagree with you on the issues of lesbian couples being entitled to ivf treatment. I think the bigger issues for lesbian and gay couples who adopt or use ivf are the rights of the second parent if they do separate. As for kids being resilliant I agree that kids may be bullied by other children but I think you have to remember that kids are growing up in a much more tolerant time. I know at my children's school there are a couple of same sex parents and their kids do not get teased. I have to also say that there are far more screwed up kids out there from hetrosexual parents who separate and spend lots of time and money fighting over their kids just to retaliate at the other parent.
For those who wonder no I am not a lesbian I am happily married with 4 children.

SPUGGIE J 02-03-2009 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 687740)
We need the knowhow to do this IVF because pollution is reducing male fertility
BBC NEWS | Health | Traffic 'damages male fertility'
Pollutants 'damage men's fertility' | Society | The Guardian
..so that the men who aren't affected can continue to provide the next generations

Its not just pollution it is also lifestyle. Mind you in the future a fertile man could make a comfy life for himself and have make a fortune when selling his little swimmers. Women would treat him as a god. The shoe would be on the other foot then.

yerself 02-03-2009 18:23

BIRTH CERTIFICATE

Name of Father: Mr. T. Baster

shakermaker 02-03-2009 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 687734)
Then what happens when it comes to mixing with other ‘normal’ kids in school? I know that kids are resilient and tend to accept life as it is but they can also be very cruel. Imagine what a child of a lesbian couple is likely to go through once it becomes known that it has two mothers and no dad? There is enough bullying in school for all sorts of other reasons without giving the bullies another arrow to their bullying bow.

I belive this view is one that is incredibly out of touch with reality.
First of all, bullies will attack for reasons of personal cowardice, fear, and ideas of social gain. They will pick on any peer they view as weaker than themselves.
Secondly there's such a wide variety in family diversity on a modern day playground that any one child's family circumstance is very likely to differ greatly from that of any other respective child. For this reason I think the "I'm in a regular 2.4 children family and you are not" view of a bully is non-existant. There's more lone-parent families, inter-racial families, young families etc. than ever before and if anything I think it's the safest time for a child to be born unto a same-sex couple.

flashy 02-03-2009 20:38

this is all a bit de ja vu, werent we talking the other week about the kid who supposidly fathered a baby? i'm sure the mother to the baby thought the same, i thought she was naming ANYONE as the baby's father anyway :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

steeljack 02-03-2009 20:48

Quote:

. In the main a lesbian is a lesbian because of her genes and these would be passed on to any female offspring.

:rofl38: :rofl38::rofl38: that is the absolute bigget load of tripe I have ever heard/read, following that logic , lesbians give birth to lesbians, so every mother of a lesbian is also a lesbian ........likewise the father of every gay male is also a gay ..............grow up ........go back to oogling/drooling over your childhood hero Stanley Mathews

Retlaw 02-03-2009 23:11

Quote:

Ok but you would'nt have had the pleasure.

Retlaw.
:hidewall:

garinda 02-03-2009 23:52

Quote:

Lesbian couples should not be allowed to have IVF treatment – FULL STOP!

In the first instance children learn from their parents and with no male parent they could easily grow up thinking that same sex partnership is the norm, when in fact it is not. In the main a lesbian is a lesbian because of her genes and these would be passed on to any female offspring.

I'm afraid you've rather contradicted yourself there.

You say 'in the first instance children learn from their parents', implying lesbianism is something that is taught by example, i.e. nurture.

You then give the contradictory statement that 'a lesbian is a lesbian because of here genes', and that lesbianism is a genetic quirk of nature. Which today is the more accepted understanding when it comes to the sexual orientation of the animal kingdom.

Rather odd, and a little bit creepy, that you seem so preocupied with lesbianism. As the same issues you talk about apply equally to both men and women when it comes to same gender parenting.

Perhaps it's just some genetic defect that makes you see things this way.;)

garinda 02-03-2009 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 687909)
:rofl38: :rofl38::rofl38: that is the absolute bigget load of tripe I have ever heard/read, following that logic , lesbians give birth to lesbians, so every mother of a lesbian is also a lesbian ........likewise the father of every gay male is also a gay ..............grow up ........go back to oogling/drooling over your childhood hero Stanley Mathews

He's obviously never met same gender identical twins.

One of whom is hetero, and the other homosexual.

That would be to much for his mind to take in, and he'd be really confused.

:D

shillelagh 03-03-2009 00:03

I thought some women already did name who they wanted ... there was one in the paper the other week ... son thought dad was his dad ... turns out he wasnt it was another bloke.

steeljack 03-03-2009 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 687976)

no your wrong , after all he holds the Eugenics chair at the University of Darwen :eek:, probably got his post-grad experience at Trebilanka and his Doctorate at Buchanweld ;) ;)

flashy 03-03-2009 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 687977)
I thought some women already did name who they wanted ... there was one in the paper the other week ... son thought dad was his dad ... turns out he wasnt it was another bloke.

seems some people convince themselves of the fact that one person is the dad when it could be several (back to my earlier post)

Neil 03-03-2009 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 688026)
seems some people convince themselves of the fact that one person is the dad when it could be several (back to my earlier post)

In the films Freddie has more than one dad?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ikLgN2RxvE...uger-photo.jpg

jaysay 03-03-2009 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 687976)

And I actually know of an example Rindi:D

jaysay 03-03-2009 09:08

I could get a bit dangerous really, I wonder how many kids the likes of Brad Pitt could end up with to their name:rolleyes::D:cool:

emamum 03-03-2009 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 688026)

and thats what makes jeremy kyle so entertaining :D

jaysay 03-03-2009 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 688063)

Oh come on ema you don't watch that tripe do you, I'd sooner have my teeth pulled without anaesthetic:D

garinda 03-03-2009 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 688054)
And I actually know of an example Rindi:D

I think I know who you mean.

I don't know them, but have met three other sets of identical twins with differing sexual orientation, which sort of disproves the nurturing claim as a major contributing factor.

garinda 03-03-2009 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 688000)
no your wrong , after all he holds the Eugenics chair at the University of Darwen :eek:, probably got his post-grad experience at Trebilanka and his Doctorate at Buchanweld ;) ;)

Perhaps they don't publish many research papers in publications such as Razzle's girl on girl special editions.;)

emamum 03-03-2009 09:39

i know a set of twins where one is gay and one is straight. i also have gay friends that have children that are straight and straight people that have children that are gay, that doesnt stand up to Jambuttys reasoning does it?

jaysay 03-03-2009 10:39

Well this all gay thing was explained to me by a gay barman who worked at Martholme Grange. He was asked why, when there were so many young girls wearing short skirts and low cut blouses, did he fancy other men (by the way it wasn't me who asked the question) He gave the perfect answer, and I quote "I am the victim of circumstance, I have the mind of a woman in a mans body" don't think you can explain it better than that really

Neil 03-03-2009 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 688063)

You need to get out more if you watch that rubbish.

Neil 03-03-2009 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 688094)
He gave the perfect answer, and I quote "I am the victim of circumstance, I have the mind of a woman in a mans body" don't think you can explain it better than that really

Can the reason for that be put down to your genetic make up though?

emamum 03-03-2009 11:34

its on as i get back from dropping ty at school, i have a brew and my breakfast and watch jeremy kyle, theres some 'interesting' people on there, i like the ones that fail the dna and lie detector tests then still wont admit it and say the tests are wrong :D

jaysay 03-03-2009 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 688115)
Can the reason for that be put down to your genetic make up though?

Well not my genetic make up I hasten to add, but I suppose that its like anything else Neil, a persons parents maybe fit and well but a child can have an health defect, don't think you an put down to genetic make up, although some diseases are passed on through genetics but not all:confused:

accyman 10-04-2009 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 688036)
In the films Freddie has more than one dad?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ikLgN2RxvE...uger-photo.jpg

alice cooper was his daddy :D

although in an earlier film they said somat else

jaysay 10-04-2009 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 702909)
alice cooper was his daddy :D

although in an earlier film they said somat else

Oh come on accyman Alice Cooper is much uglier than that:D

mothernature 10-04-2009 10:59

Am I the only one seeing a potential problem here? Any person who is named as the father of a child should be the biological father. It protects the child's right to identify any potential health risks/problems that may arise in the future and also ensures the stability of the gene pool. Could you imagine in the future if women who have had IVF and have used a sperm donor, claimed that Joe Bloggs was the father, when in fact Donor Number 12345 is actually the father. No one knows how many children Donor 12345 has fathered or where those children are. Incest comes to mind. It's not right and it's also one of the many reasons humankind shouldn't be messing about with creating life that wasn't meant to be.

emzy 10-04-2009 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothernature (Post 703005)
Am I the only one seeing a potential problem here? Any person who is named as the father of a child should be the biological father. It protects the child's right to identify any potential health risks/problems that may arise in the future and also ensures the stability of the gene pool. Could you imagine in the future if women who have had IVF and have used a sperm donor, claimed that Joe Bloggs was the father, when in fact Donor Number 12345 is actually the father. No one knows how many children Donor 12345 has fathered or where those children are. Incest comes to mind. It's not right and it's also one of the many reasons humankind shouldn't be messing about with creating life that wasn't meant to be.

Was there not a case not to long ago about siblings / twins which had been seperated or similar, falling in love years later, only to find out that they were related? (or did I dream that one?? help anyone??)

Edit:

Found a link to what I was on about, glad i hadnt dreamt it, slightly different though, they share the same mother but the brother was put into care, but shows that it can happen and maybe siblings have a special bond whether they know them or not which it seems in this case has been mistaken for love

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...t-met-20s.html

West Ender 10-04-2009 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 688117)
i have a brew and my breakfast and watch jeremy kyle, theres some 'interesting' people on there, i like the ones that fail the dna and lie detector tests then still wont admit it and say the tests are wrong :D

I watch it too, while I tidy up after breakfast, out of sheer fascination of the sort of people who appear on it. It may well be rubbish but there's lots more rubbish on TV. Each to his own. :rolleyes:

This naming of "anyone" as the father - well, it's been going on since registration first became compulsory hasn't it? What's that old saying? It's a wise child that knows its own father. :D

Neil 10-04-2009 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 703183)
This naming of "anyone" as the father - well, it's been going on since registration first became compulsory hasn't it? What's that old saying? It's a wise child that knows its own father. :D

I would have thought by now that if a bloke denies the child is his then either the mother or the government would have to prove if he is or not before his name can go on the birth certificate as father. After all a birth certificate is a legal document.

What happens then if a bloke says the baby is not his? What gets put of the birth certificate?

Its the same with child support. The calculations and amounts are set in law. Surely if a man denies the child is his then the mother/csa will have to prove he is before any money is taken from him.

emamum 10-04-2009 21:54

if he doesnt think the baby is his then he shouldnt go and get his name on the certifiate, unless he is married to the mother then she cant put his name on without him being there.

West Ender 10-04-2009 22:13

I was thinking more of husbands who have believed they were also fathers but, biologically, weren't. There was a lot of it about in the 1940s so I'm told.

Neil 10-04-2009 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 703192)
if he doesnt think the baby is his then he shouldnt go and get his name on the certifiate, unless he is married to the mother then she cant put his name on without him being there.

I have not been in that position.
So does a birth certificate not have to name the father?
If that is the case how does the mother prove who the father is when wanting to get money for the baby?

accyman 10-04-2009 23:03

jeremy kyle lol

the mother can name anyone she likes and if it is proved not to be the bloke she says it is she has to provide a name of the next possability and so on until they get a positive match,if the bloke refuses teh DNA test they automaticly assume guilt so they never actually ever know who teh father is but the records are kept straight and thats all that matters

it would be interesting to see if a woman accused prince harry of fathering their child wether he would have to have a dna test and if he refused would he be automaticly found to be the father

the csa have even pressed women who have been raped for teh father name , pretty ruthless organisation once they get their teeth into somat or somone

accyman 10-04-2009 23:26

unless married the father MUST be prsent if he wants his name on the birth certificate where he will sign the registration and also state his occupation if any

i am not on my eldest childs birth certificate as me and his mother had seperated but i am on my youngests birth certificate but i had to be present and even though i was seriously ill at the time they wouldnt make exceptions so i had to go if i wanted to be on it

even though my name is not on both birth certificates i have the same rights for both my children as i went to court and gained parental resposablity orders for them so wether or not my name is on their birth certificates is irrelivant

mind you 3 years on and im still in and out of court but thats a different story :rolleyes:

emamum 11-04-2009 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 703207)
I have not been in that position.
So does a birth certificate not have to name the father?
If that is the case how does the mother prove who the father is when wanting to get money for the baby?

no it doesnt and that means that the father doesnt automatically get parental rights, he has to apply to court for them. I'm not sure about the csa and maintenance, Tys dad is on his birth certificate (although he doesnt have parental rights either because he was born before the rules changed). but theres only me on Graces.

flashy 11-04-2009 09:27

i'm the only parent on Reece's birth certificate too

Shaun (i wont say his dad cos he's a ****** and doesnt deserve to be called dad) was living in Scotland when Reece was born, he didnt see Reece till he was 6 months old, he never wanted his name on it either, i get a letter from the csa every few months saying Shaun has to pay £0.00...it baffles me how he gets away with it

i used to work with a woman and she told me that her sons real dad wasnt on his birth certificate, but the bloke who she is now with.....is.....go figure that one out

emamum 11-04-2009 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 703276)
i'm the only parent on Reece's birth certificate too

Shaun (i wont say his dad cos he's a ****** and doesnt deserve to be called dad) was living in Scotland when Reece was born, he didnt see Reece till he was 6 months old, he never wanted his name on it either, i get a letter from the csa every few months saying Shaun has to pay £0.00...it baffles me how he gets away with it

i used to work with a woman and she told me that her sons real dad wasnt on his birth certificate, but the bloke who she is now with.....is.....go figure that one out

although not better fir the child to only have 1 parent on the birth certificate do you find it easier to be the only one with parental responsibility? means when i decide to move us out of the country i dont have to ask permission etc thats just an example, you know what i mean.

flashy 11-04-2009 09:40

yeah i know what you mean BUT.....

when Reece was 2, Shaun took me to court over access, to which i fought, i told the courts i only wanted supervised access, this was granted and Shaun had to come all the way over from Burnley to Accy to have it supervised in an old church (with lots of other dads) i told my solicitor that i was thinking of moving down to Felixstowe just to get away from it all and she told me that wherever i am i would still have to let Shaun see Reece....Shaun then only bothered turning up for 3 Saturdays, then didnt bother with him after that....what was the point in taking me to court?? he did it just to try and pee me off......it didnt work, it made me happy that i didnt have to take Reece to see him anymore :D

emamum 11-04-2009 09:45

tylers dad lives in kent and doesnt come see him,has never given me money for him or even sent him a card at xmas/ birthday... i doubt he would pay to go to ireland to see him...

flashy 11-04-2009 09:47

Shaun is the same, he bought Reece a push along sit on truck thing for his first birthday....and threw it against a wall in temper before he even gave it to him...so Reece ended up with a broken truck for his first birthday.....he's not had owt since, not that Reece is bothered

emamum 11-04-2009 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 703291)
Shaun is the same, he bought Reece a push along sit on truck thing for his first birthday....and threw it against a wall in temper before he even gave it to him...so Reece ended up with a broken truck for his first birthday.....he's not had owt since, not that Reece is bothered

he has you, its better to have a decent parent that will never leave you than to put up with a rubbish one just because they are your dad/mum, its better for the kids tbh. (only if the missing parent is rubbish before anyone has a go)

flashy 11-04-2009 13:48

lol that would mean Reece has no decent parents then :D