Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Well Done Mrs Gillen (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/well-done-mrs-gillen-46686.html)

yerself 04-04-2009 12:27

Well Done Mrs Gillen

Mum banned from Blackburn school event for wearing veil (From Lancashire Telegraph)

AccyLass 04-04-2009 12:29

Re: Well Done Mrs Gillen

Saw that at work last night

Should think so too

Ya wouldn't get away with wearing a balaclava:rolleyes:

derekgas 04-04-2009 14:06

Yes, i agree, well done Mrs Gillen, my kids, although not catholic, attend a catholic school, so hence they pray etc as catholics do, I am not about to go and ask for them to be treated any differently, so why should anybody else, and particularly a completely different faith?

accyman 04-04-2009 14:10

Quote:

The woman, who does not want to be named, was wearing a full veil, which covers every part of the body except the eyes.
dosnt want to be named and dosnt want to be seen

why the hell did she bother turning up pmsl

although the wearing of these things comes with many excuses it is an outdated practice and belongs in the dark ages and has no place in a modern society where we are supposed to be equal

you can respect your husband without covering your whole body and to be honest if it is a sign of respect then why arnt the men made to wear veils also to show tehir respect

seems allah is a bit of a hypocryt but then again all religious gods are guilty of that

jaysay 04-04-2009 14:54

Well if this woman wants her kids to be brought up in a faith school not of her own than abide by their rules or sod off, simple as that

Lilly 04-04-2009 16:37

Much respect to the headteacher.

We can't have folk wandering round schools with their faces covered no matter what it is they're covering themselves with or why.

It could be anybody, a maniac, under there.

accyman 04-04-2009 17:06

you are aware that by merely bringing up the subject of veils accyweb will be tarred as a racist site again :rolleyes:

infact teh last time i think we got called racist nazis

i am no part german :confused:

Lilly 04-04-2009 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 700425)

We can't have folk wandering round schools with their faces covered no matter what it is they're covering themselves with or why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 700439)
you are aware that by merely bringing up the subject of veils accyweb will be tarred as a racist site again :rolleyes:

I hope that by making the above statement it is clear that I am not being racist.

People's faces have to be seen to gain entry to schools.

No exceptions.

accyman 04-04-2009 18:40

i agree , if you have to take off your helmet to enter a mere petrol station then you should have to show your face to enter a school

the veil is partly to prevent others lusting after them which i cant see been the main adjenda at a school

perhaps the womans face was so ugly it would scare the children

Margaret Pilkington 04-04-2009 18:41

According to the newspaper article, the Head teacher offered this mother an opportunity to use an office to see her childs teacher privately....this mother refused......I think the head teacher did the only thing that she could to safeguard the many.
This mother may be genuine, but because her face cannot be seen, no-one can be sure exactly who she is....or even if 'she' is a she.

If the mother is not satisfied that the head teacher had the safety of the children in mind when she carried out this rule, then the mother should take her child out of that school and place it where she feels it would be better.
Personally, I can't see why a muslim mother would want her child to go to a Catholic Faith school in the first place.

emamum 04-04-2009 18:42

i dont usually agree with these stories but this time i kinda do, childrens safety is more important imo

flashy 04-04-2009 19:26

my nephew goes to this school, he's catholic, i put this school down for Reece's first choice, we arent catholic.....he didnt get in.........makes you wonder how non catholic asians can get into catholic schools doesnt it FFFFFFFFFFF

BERNADETTE 04-04-2009 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 700491)
my nephew goes to this school, he's catholic, i put this school down for Reece's first choice, we arent catholic.....he didnt get in.........makes you wonder how non catholic asians can get into catholic schools doesnt it FFFFFFFFFFF

All schools have to take a percentage of asian pupils regardless of the religion they follow

flashy 04-04-2009 19:32

yeah but i think its discriminating against white non catholics, i think its pathetic

and the percentage of non catholic asians who get into catholic schools is a lot higher than non catholic whites

accyman 04-04-2009 19:46

dont worry flashy , when we are the minority i am sure the same courtesys will be given to us as we have laveshed upon them :rolleyes:

flashy 04-04-2009 19:47

what do you mean WHEN we are the minority....huh

emamum 04-04-2009 21:20

theres only 2 or 3 asian families at tylers school...

vera 05-04-2009 20:28

Now you know the reason i am getting out of here, we are no longer the majority, it is trying to be turned into an Islam state, can't remember what they call it, but if you are homosexual or commit adultery, or even leave your husband, then they have the right to stone you

flashy 05-04-2009 20:33

well said V

Bagpuss 05-04-2009 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by vera (Post 700910)
Now you know the reason i am getting out of here, we are no longer the majority

Don't run away, stay and fight:mad:

Gayle 05-04-2009 20:43

It's very easy to turn this into a 'racist' issue but it shouldn't be.

I absolutely believe in anyone's right to wear what they want to wear, but you have to wear what is appropriate at any given time. For instance, if a mother had turned up wearing a bikini then again, the headteacher would have had the right to ask the mother to wear the appropriate clothing.

The mother should know what is appropriate clothing for the situation and not make a fuss about it.

vera 05-04-2009 20:46

I have been fighting for this country since the day i went into the Army, even carried on when i came out, in my own way, not getting anywhere, had enough now.

Margaret Pilkington 05-04-2009 20:47

I don't see it as a racist issue. It is a security issue. The head teacher has to know who is in her school. You recognise people by being able to see their face.
You cannot recognise someone who wishes to hide their face from view.
The head teacher did everything she could to sensitively address the issues and this mother chose not to take advantage of the offer, so in my book she has absolutely no right to complain.
In fact in my eyes, she was inciting racial unrest by her actions.

flashy 05-04-2009 20:49

a security issue that this woman has turned into a racist issue? (this woman being the one who got banned from the school)

typical

Neil 05-04-2009 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 700493)
All schools have to take a percentage of asian pupils regardless of the religion they follow

Do you have some a link to back that up? When I read the entry details for schools before my son went last year I did not remember seeing that. In fact only children whos parents attended church weekly got a place at St Chris's last year. The only exception might be if the child has special needs that only that school can cater for. I doubt that would be the case here though.

Neil 05-04-2009 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 700465)
I hope that by making the above statement it is clear that I am not being racist.

People's faces have to be seen to gain entry to schools.

No exceptions.

I always wonder about this when I see ladies picking up their children at my daughters nursery dress like that. How do the staff know who is picking up the children?

Margaret Pilkington 05-04-2009 21:03

How do the tots recognise their mother?

BERNADETTE 05-04-2009 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 700938)
Do you have some a link to back that up? When I read the entry details for schools before my son went last year I did not remember seeing that. In fact only children whos parents attended church weekly got a place at St Chris's last year. The only exception might be if the child has special needs that only that school can cater for. I doubt that would be the case here though.

No Neil I don't have a link but my sister works in the nursery at Sacred Heart School and she told me that they have to take a certain percentage of Asian children irrelevant as to the religion they follow. Maybe it is different for secondary schools.

cashman 05-04-2009 22:26

there was n arrogant cow on the news the other day, saying she was just a normal mum, oblivious to the fact she was missing the whole point of the ruling= How the hell do they know that?:confused: in this day n age security oer kids must take precedence.:(

Mancie 05-04-2009 22:59

it's got nothing to do with race.. or religion... most of the women that choose to wear a veil do so by thier own choice and probley think nothing of it..but it's just not an acceptable practice here...if anyone walked around with a mask on they would soon be pulled up and be questioned.

cashman 05-04-2009 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 701028)
it's got nothing to do with race.. or religion... most of the women that choose to wear a veil do so by thier own choice and probley think nothing of it..but it's just not an acceptable practice here...if anyone walked around with a mask on they would soon be pulled up and be questioned.

if i can remember rightly, many, many years ago the "Sikhs" objected to wearing a crash helmet on motor cycles when helmets became law, they used religion as the reason, one or two i think got done fer refusing, but it seemed to die a death after that. different issue i know, but same principle to me, that was the Law, this is the School Rules. it may be acceptable in other countries but thats theres n their right, i would not dream of arguing about someone wearing a veil in their homeland if thats acceptable.

steeljack 06-04-2009 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 701033)
, i would not dream of arguing about someone wearing a veil in their homeland if thats acceptable.

Did I not see it mentioned somewhere that she (the mother) also went to this school for her education .....so I guess the UK is her homeland :eek: :eek:

Mancie 06-04-2009 02:34

Am I the only one that thinks this is all getting boring?...mountians out of mole hills springs to mind....yes well done Mrs Gillen you did the right thing.

flashy 06-04-2009 08:12

Quote:

so in actual fact Neil, what you are saying is....all the asian children who go to 'church run' schools have special needs because they obviously dont go to C of E/catholic churches every sunday

you do talk bollox at times:rolleyes:

emamum 06-04-2009 08:59

Quote:

they now have to take a certain number of non catholics, doesnt matter what religion they are catholics that go to church are top of the admissions lists, then catholics that dont, then children in care, then non catholics

but there are asian catholics (ive always heard them refered to as bengalis) so their colour doesnt show their religion, neither does the clothes they wear as that can be culture and not religion.

jaysay 06-04-2009 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 701040)
Am I the only one that thinks this is all getting boring?...mountians out of mole hills springs to mind....yes well done Mrs Gillen you did the right thing.

Your spot on Mancie, its the woman who's turned it into a racist issue, even then veil or no veil she didn't want to be interviewed, some one spoke on her behalf, I wonder why that was as we couldn't tell who she was anyway:rolleyes:

emamum 06-04-2009 09:08

Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Primary School - Admissions Policy

Quote:

Baptised Roman Catholic children resident in the Parish of Sacred Heart, Colne, with a brother or sister currently in school.
Baptised Roman Catholic children resident in the Parish of Sacred Heart, Colne.
Baptised Roman Catholic children with a brother or sister currently in school.
Other baptised Roman Catholic children.

Children of the Roman Catholic Faith attending non-Roman Catholic Schools will also be considered for admission.

Applications may also be received from parents of non-Catholic children.

hmmmm.... it misses out the children in care bit tho and i know they take non catholics tho cos i used to work there

katex 06-04-2009 09:34

My grandaughter goes to a strong Catholic college in Leeds and has a Muslim friend there, they did say do take non Catholics on her application, was a small percentage .. sorry, can't remember the exact details.

As to this particular issue ... agree with all comments above, and the Telegraph comments, don't think this muslim lady is on a winning wicket here at all. Silly woman, I think they do it too just to cause controversy.

yerself 06-04-2009 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum
but there are asian catholics (ive always heard them refered to as bengalis)

:confused::confused::confused:

And here's me thinking Bengalis were just people from Bengal.:rolleyes: