Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Oswaldtwistle Mills (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/oswaldtwistle-mills-46712.html)

MargaretR 05-04-2009 15:46

Oswaldtwistle Mills

I ventured there today. I had been only once before and that was about 15 years ago.
It has expanded quite a bit in that time.
I went because I wanted some 'prize winning sausages', as reported in the local press.
The last ones I bought from ASDA went in the bin, and a previous attempt to find one that is tasty was from a local butcher - edible but bland.

The car parks were crowded and I had a very long walk to get in, across very rough potholed obstacle course.
I needed to sit before considering browsing, but the only seating is in cafes.
So I had a £1 cup of tea.

When I had gathered enough strength I decided to try to find this famous sausage shop.
It proved quite an ordeal because the whole place was saturated with the artificial scents from all that potpourri etc.
That stuff is near the entrance and other varieties of chemical deodorant are at other sites dotted about, so it can't be avoided.
I was beginning to audibly gasp, to the slightly alarmed looks from passing people - even the ones on sticks walked quicker than me.

I eventually found the sausage shop and a lovely helpful, smiling butcher man,
who sold me some, and gave me a freshly cooked sample to try.
Unfortunately, I did not have enough breath and energy to eat it in his presence because
there was nowhere to sit down.
Then eureka - on my way back through the chemical sodden air, I found two old metal chairs with stained upholstery in a corridor, and one was unoccupied.
I sat and nibbled my free sample, and was glad that I was not wearing light coloured clothing.

I then had enough strength to make the long walk back to my car.
I doubt I will be shopping there again, even if they have the best sausages in the world.

Lilly 05-04-2009 15:53

Re: Oswaldtwistle Mills

I know what you mean about the smell in there, Margaret.

It's those Yankee candles they sell. The smell is quite overpowering, I don't know how the staff cope with it all day. :(

Re the seating issue, outlets such as Ossy Mills, Boundary Mill etc don't normally have seating dotted about except in the cafes. The cafe's are expensive, aren't they?

I wouldn't expect seats in a butchers shop though.

Royboy39 05-04-2009 15:55

Now't like a good old moan.

MargaretR 05-04-2009 15:59

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 700775)
Now't like a good old moan.

..From one who is an expert :rolleyes:

Royboy39 05-04-2009 16:45

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 13630Yes dear...........

andrewb 05-04-2009 18:26

So, was the sausage good?

MargaretR 05-04-2009 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 700831)
So, was the sausage good?

I am having it for breakfast tomorrow.
The sample wasn't the same sort as the one I bought, it was supposed to have garlic in it, but I didn't detect any - could be my sense of taste and smell were being ruined by all those chemical odours.

flashy 05-04-2009 18:33

your having the sample for your breakfast tomorrow? good gracious, are you on a diet?

MargaretR 05-04-2009 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 700835)
your having the sample for your breakfast tomorrow? good gracious, are you on a diet?

The sample - I ate
The full size cumberland is for tomorrow

flashy 05-04-2009 18:41

ohhhhhhhhhhh i seeeee :D

emamum 05-04-2009 18:41

theres a butcher in the market that does a good cumberland, its just as you go through the entrance near wilkinsons

flashy 05-04-2009 18:42

i think thats part of slacks butchers, the same as the big one right at the back

MargaretR 05-04-2009 18:55

That butcher in Ossy Mills had a large variety of offer - pity about fighting a way through the stench to get there.
Now that I am out of hibernation I may try some from the market hall
I am not into 'shopping' but will suffer much for a good tasty sausage -
(but not as much as I did today;) )

yerself 05-04-2009 19:05

I hope your sausages had natural skins, not these nasty synthetic ones.:rolleyes::D

Tubular foodstuff casing made of cellulose hydrate, in particular synthetic sausage casing
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 5262211

Abstract:
A tubular foodstuff casing, in particular synthetic sausage casing, based on cellulose contains a di-n-didecyl-dimethylammonium compound as a fungicidal agent, which is optionally used in admixture with salts of sorbic acid, fungicidal heterocyclic compounds, such as an isothiazolone compound, or glycerol monolaurate. The coating prevents mold attack on the casing.

K.S.H 05-04-2009 19:10

THIS any use :D