Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   George Slynn (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/george-slynn-46805.html)

Royboy39 09-04-2009 21:16

George Slynn

Dont know if this deserves a mention but the former leader of HBC died today age 73,?

Former Hyndburn Council leader dies, 73 (From Lancashire Telegraph)

katex 09-04-2009 22:54

Re: George Slynn

Sure lots of people will be sad at this news Roy ... did his best for the people of Hyndburn ... that's all we can ask of our councilors.

RIP George.

lindsay ormerod 09-04-2009 23:43

Sad news indeed, RIP George.

Neil 10-04-2009 00:34

I did not know the gent but it is always sad when we loose someone.

andrewb 10-04-2009 08:27

I never knew him, but rest in peace.

jaysay 10-04-2009 08:27

Sorry to hear about that, I didn't agree with his politics, but respected him as a man RIP George

Bernard Dawson 10-04-2009 10:15

I was sad to hear about George's death. We were on the council together for quite a few years.

George devoted a large part of his life to public service here in Hyndburn. No one put more hours in to being a councillor than George.

People might not have always agreed George,but there were very few people who questioned his commitment.

George off course was also passionate about his home town of Gt Harwood. And there is no doubt that a lot of the improvements in Harwood are down to the work George put in.

I have often been asked about George since his retirement from the council. My reply would always be the same. And it's that George certainly put put a lot more in than than he every took out.

Greg Pope 10-04-2009 16:43

Bernard is absolutely right, I know of no councillor who worked as hard as George Slynn. I became involved in local politics in Great Harwood a long time ago and George was 'Mr Harwood' - he knew every inch of his ward and helped a huge number of people. He should also be remembered for his commitment to regenerating the Borough after tough times economically; he was instrumental in the transformation of what is now The Globe from a derelict site into modern offices. George was a true public servant.

jooles 14-04-2009 11:26

I knew George from being a kid... He was a real Harwood man no one could ever question
his loyalty to Great Harwood... when most councillors were out for lunch on a sunday afternoon George could be found .. pencil and pad in hand taking notes and generally watching the comings and goings of everyday life... no car... always on foot and always ready to listen ... and if George said he would look into it ... he would ... and he would let you know the outcome and advise .....God Bless him...... he will be sadly missed

Triz 17-07-2016 10:18

I'm researching a school film resource about Accrington and would like to reflect George Slynn's contribution to the town and its people. It would only be a fleeting glimpse of him (the entire film is only 5 minutes long!) and I need a good photograph. Can anyone help? I'll be posting elsewhere on the forum about other aspects of the film.

maxthecollie 17-07-2016 11:40

Contact Hyndburn Labour Party