Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Kids smoking (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/kids-smoking-47024.html)

jaysay 21-04-2009 09:18

Kids smoking

Was reading an article this morning about a report which came out yesterday regarding children smoking. Nurses went into schools in the Blackburn, Hyndburn Ribble Valley area, to find out how serious a problem smoking was amongst young people, the findings were frightening to say the least. They found that kinds were starting secondary school already hooked on cigarettes, one teach reported that there was one young lad who was very disruptive in class because he hadn't had his fix, they also found one lad aged 9 who was totally addicted. But the worst thing to come out was that in quite a lot of cases parents were actually giving 11 and 12 year olds ciggies as a reward for being good, just what is going on:(

AccyLass 21-04-2009 09:23

Re: Kids smoking

We read this while I was at work.... it's shocking

Also a bit like those parents that give thier kids a 4pk of beer and send them on thier way so the parents get a quiet night in... or out

planetsusie 21-04-2009 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 706449)
Was reading an article this morning about a report which came out yesterday regarding children smoking. Nurses went into schools in the Blackburn, Hyndburn Ribble Valley area, to find out how serious a problem smoking was amongst young people, the findings were frightening to say the least. They found that kinds were starting secondary school already hooked on cigarettes, one teach reported that there was one young lad who was very disruptive in class because he hadn't had his fix, they also found one lad aged 9 who was totally addicted. But the worst thing to come out was that in quite a lot of cases parents were actually giving 11 and 12 year olds ciggies as a reward for being good, just what is going on:(

I had a 12 year old in surgery, with her Mum. She is asthmatic.
I asked if she smoked, she said 'Yes. About 15 a day'
'How can you afford this?' I asked. 'Doesn't it make your breathing worse?'
Mum chipped in to tell me she buys her fags for her cos... 'Well. Its better than doing drugs.'

er...its a choice? Fags or drugs..... hohum

jaysay 21-04-2009 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetsusie (Post 706464)
I had a 12 year old in surgery, with her Mum. She is asthmatic.
I asked if she smoked, she said 'Yes. About 15 a day'
'How can you afford this?' I asked. 'Doesn't it make your breathing worse?'
Mum chipped in to tell me she buys her fags for her cos... 'Well. Its better than doing drugs.'

er...its a choice? Fags or drugs..... hohum

Sometimes I despair Susie, its been said on here many times that smoking was cool when people of my age group (50s 60s) were teenagers, but not any more. I gave up over thirty years ago, wish I'd never started, but the first time a doctor told me it was damaging my health I stopped there and then, but of course to late was the cry. It seems that a lot of feckless parents today are anything for a peaceful life, with the attitude to their kids of don't invade my space and are prepared to risk there kids lives just to make sure it doesn't happen, we're all going to hell on a hand cart:(

emamum 21-04-2009 10:59

i caught a kid smoking at school once, she was 9!, i tok her to speak to her class teacher who said she couldnt possibly be addicted, she's only 9!
guess whos never smoked? i used to steal my cigs from my mum...

emzy 21-04-2009 12:01

I have secondary school kids smoking out the back of my house every school day. They are there just before school, during lunch and after school. So I see it every day.

cashman 21-04-2009 16:46

many evenings when out wi the dog, kids about 11/12 ish say have ya got a fag mr? (am usually smoking) i always say yes loads but you aint having one, cheeky gets dont even offer to buy one these days.:rolleyes:

shillelagh 21-04-2009 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 706620)
many evenings when out wi the dog, kids about 11/12 ish say have ya got a fag mr? (am usually smoking) i always say yes loads but you aint having one, cheeky gets dont even offer to buy one these days.:rolleyes:

but when you bought one it was only 5p or 10p ... now its a flipping fortune ... at least 30p if its bensons ... 25p if its lamberts .... :D:D:D

cashman 21-04-2009 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 706625)
but when you bought one it was only 5p or 10p ... now its a flipping fortune ... at least 30p if its bensons ... 25p if its lamberts .... :D:D:D

nah ya could buy singles in my day from most corner shops,3p owd money.:D

emamum 21-04-2009 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 706620)
many evenings when out wi the dog:rolleyes:

OMG!! I hope you dont call her that to her face :eek:

:D:D:D

jaysay 22-04-2009 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 706628)
nah ya could buy singles in my day from most corner shops,3p owd money.:D

And you used to get a match with it to cashy:D

mallard 27-04-2009 12:33

I dont think you will stop them,they have tryed for year,s by putting the price,s up and other thing,s but they want to cut there spending money down.

cashman 27-04-2009 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 708775)
I dont think you will stop them,they have tryed for year,s by putting the price,s up and other thing,s but they want to cut there spending money down.

no easy answer mallard, dont think reducing spending money will make much difference, perhaps if MORE parents made kids EARN the spending money, learning hard work n respect would go some way to helping the situation, but too many just give em the money IMHO.

magpie 27-04-2009 15:52

why should adults have to suffer : which some will if they put the price of fags up again.... why should we gear everything around the kids.... you can smoke when your ( whatever age it is now) what you should be able to do is: give them a flipping clip around the ear if they are found out to be smoking.... and more action should be taken against the shops that sell them to them:

Sick of trying to appease the youth of today....

jaysay 27-04-2009 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 708804)
why should adults have to suffer : which some will if they put the price of fags up again.... why should we gear everything around the kids.... you can smoke when your ( whatever age it is now) what you should be able to do is: give them a flipping clip around the ear if they are found out to be smoking.... and more action should be taken against the shops that sell them to them:

Sick of trying to appease the youth of today....

Think what we want is another Youth Club magpie:rolleyes: