Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Accrington Observer - the new look. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/accrington-observer-the-new-look-47257.html)

garinda 04-05-2009 16:23

Accrington Observer - the new look.

I think that last weekend's 'new look' edition of the Observer marks the death knell for the paper.

The middle of the paper is now generic to all the stable of local papers that the group owns in the northwest, and has nothing to do with Hyndburn at all.

The rest of the paper is filled out with photographs, and the page for each area that makes up Hyndburn, is now but a short column for each town.

I'll carry on buying it...for the time being.

Either until it's too upsetting to remember what a fine local paper it once was, and I decide it isn't worth the money, or until it folds completely.

I'd offer to post a copy to you in Hull Andrew. Even better I cut out all the guff that really isn't news, and I could send it by carrier pigeon, as the cuttings would easily fit in the ring on the bird's leg.

garinda 04-05-2009 16:45

Re: Accrington Observer - the new look.

By the way, this thread isn't a rant at the staff of the Observer.

I understand the difficulties that much of the printed news industry is facing, and they have my sympathy.

flashy 04-05-2009 16:50

i don't like it, it doesn't look like a local paper anymore
Posted via Mobile Device

pipinfort 04-05-2009 17:24

I wasn`t impressed either, the weekly local cafe/butty shop review( which always made me chuckle) had been replaced by a write up about a pub in Bolton....:confused:

garinda 04-05-2009 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipinfort (Post 710822)
I wasn`t impressed either, the weekly local cafe/butty shop review( which always made me chuckle) had been replaced by a write up about a pub in Bolton....:confused:

Exactly.

If I wanted to know what was going on in Greater Manchester I'd buy a paper from there.

The whole middle section of the Observer will now be going straight into the recycling sack, unread.

nortype 04-05-2009 17:44

agree not accy observer anymore did not like it at all.

flashy 04-05-2009 17:55

there is usually a piece in about each local secondary school aswell, there wasnt this week, its the only way i can catch up on the things that are happening at Rhyddings

steeljack 04-05-2009 18:24

the slow death of the local press is happening all over the world , the only folks who I see benefiting from this are the local Politicians (all parties) , means more of the dirty tricks, corruption and sleaze never get the public airing they deserve.

maybe its part of a big giant plot to keep the public ignorant and allow the NWO to take over ;)

katex 04-05-2009 18:25

Was going to say exactly the same thing Garinda ! Appears that not much of the 'get off yer' backside into town and report' type of attitude .. only what people will send in themselves... :(

The 'Life' section was billed as 'super new', well not for me .. don't wish to read about the anaemic looking Rhydian thank you very much, and I did enjoy the 'My Life' section, even though some oddball characters ... was fun to see who they would be stuck in a lift with. They were our oddballs after all. And where is the photo' of the week ?! They were good too. Thought Clayton/Altham District news had disappeared and then spotted these five liners on the left .... utter laziness.

Just as an aside, advert in jobs section (are there any in Hyndburn now ?) .. for trainee plumbers .. daughter pointed this out ..(my kids like to read the Observer when they are over) States you could be installing full bathrooms in 6 weeks .... huh .. would you contract them ..... LOL. Bet Derekgas would have summat to say about this. :D Not the Observer's fault mind you.

cashman 04-05-2009 19:14

agree its gone from bad to worse, will purchase very few of these, toilet paper is more upmarket now anyway.:rolleyes:

lancsdave 04-05-2009 20:51

The content should improve for at least one week quite soon :D

Lilly 04-05-2009 20:53

I agree too. I wasn't impressed with the Obby this week.

Like Garinda, I'll carry on buying it for now but it's very sad to see. :(

andrewb 05-05-2009 06:05

It does feel like I've chosen the worst possible moment to start having the Observer sent to me... :p

shakermaker 05-05-2009 08:06

Think I may be getting a different Accy Observer to you lot.
The changes are hardly noticable to me.

jaysay 05-05-2009 08:50

The Obs has been going down the tubes for ages now, but the thing is with everything now accessible on the internet, the written word is no longer god. have read the Obs all my life, I even used to get the old Midweek Obs before it went to a Free, then went altogether. Around 18 months ago I decided to cancel the LT as I found it was just as easy to access it on the Net, the only thing is, a far as the Obs is concerned, is their Web Site is crap compared to the LT that is, so it seems the games up for a local institution, RIP Accrington Observer and Times

lindsay ormerod 05-05-2009 19:49

On the plus side you still get my Dad's cricket column and lots of lovely photos of our local team doing well! :D

maxwell silver 06-05-2009 10:19

Hated it:mad:The one thing they could have done to improve it (for me at least)they failed to do.....enlarged the crossword so i could see the bloody numbers!!!

jaysay 06-05-2009 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwell silver (Post 711193)
Hated it:mad:The one thing they could have done to improve it (for me at least)they failed to do.....enlarged the crossword so i could see the bloody numbers!!!

Or even a bigger crossword Maxwell:rolleyes:

katex 07-05-2009 18:39

No improvement this week I'm afraid .. although we do have our Bernard celebrating 30 years of Council activity ... well done lad. Compared him with Margaret Thatcher coming into power at the same time... that must have stung.

'Course district news in Gt. Harwood consisted of a solar light, worth £2.50 being stolen out of a garden on Edgeside.

There is an interesting family announcement for our moderator who is 21 on the 11th ... no baby photos though... :D

Feel for our reporters though, sure they are being restricted in some way, and not entirely happy about the situation.

cashman 07-05-2009 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 711641)
No improvement this week I'm afraid .. although we do have our Bernard celebrating 30 years of Council activity ... well done lad. Compared him with Margaret Thatcher coming into power at the same time... that must have stung.

Doubt it kate Bernards still going strong,Thatcher is now a slavering owd bitch, twas me would give me pleasure.:D

lancsdave 07-05-2009 20:01

Quote:

'Course district news in Gt. Harwood consisted of a solar light, worth £2.50 being stolen out of a garden on Edgeside.

There is an interesting family announcement for our moderator who is 21 on the 11th ... no baby photos though... :D

Feel for our reporters though, sure they are being restricted in some way, and not entirely happy about the situation.

Nothing about Britain's next retail magnate ? :(

Royboy39 07-05-2009 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 711644)
Doubt it kate Bernards still going strong,Thatcher is now a slavering owd bitch, twas me would give me pleasure.:D

Cashy.....that is way over the top and I think i'ts your old union colours coming out.
We have moved on and a slanging match between or about old leaders and hangers on would probably reveal more weakness between the ranks than good.
George Brown was a bloody nutter.........Profumo was a randy get.
Kinnock lost the plot................Archer was dragged over the coals.
You will notice I have gone knit one pearl one.
Of the current bunch of so called Statesmen, who would come top of your list?

cashman 07-05-2009 22:39

i don't honestly think theres a good statesman in the country roy sad to say, a few good local MPs about, n if ya think thats way oer the top, ya never knew me.:D:)

jaysay 08-05-2009 09:58

Well I looked at the Obs this morning, the local news is now on one page, where it used to be a page each, but at least I know about a great eatery in er um ah Rochdale, wonderful. I like the local touch in the centre bit which tells you about whats happening anywhere but Hyndburn, yet has Accrington Observer printed in red at the top left hand corner of each page, Think I may be saving myself a few pence a week very shortly, especially seeing the Office closes next Friday. Mind you Mervin has invited people to a do at the Stanley Arms next Friday, lets not all get killed in the rush:rolleyes:

katex 08-05-2009 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 711708)
Nothing about Britain's next retail magnate ? :(

Were you expecting a full page spread Lancsdave on your retail enterprise then ?

flashy 08-05-2009 10:17

Quote:

okkkkkkkkk, i wont need to bother buying it this week then, seen as i now know about all the interesting things in it, cheers Kate lol

katex 08-05-2009 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 711886)
okkkkkkkkk, i wont need to bother buying it this week then, seen as i now know about all the interesting things in it, cheers Kate lol

Yer very welcome .. tee hee.

Margaret Pilkington 08-05-2009 14:29

I think we might be saving the price of the Obby soon too.......it isn't local anymore......and even the Obituaries were very limited this week.....perhaps no-one died last week eh?

pipinfort 08-05-2009 14:35

Page 19 , top right hand corner.....ahem..`Topper Stolen`.........goes on to report......`A PINK car ariel topper with princess written on it was stolen from a red Peugeot 306 parked on Water Street, Accrington, last Saturday`.........54p for this kind of news..?????:confused::eek:

samlesbury 08-05-2009 14:37

Great copy this week with the Childrens Internet safety visit from the Local Police Community Support Officers!

samlesbury 08-05-2009 14:39

Stick with it, look what happened to the Blackburn Times!!

Bagpuss 08-05-2009 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by samlesbury (Post 711954)
Stick with it, look what happened to the Blackburn Times!!

I'm giving it one more month but I have a feeling it will be sooner after looking at todays edition, it's no longer our local paper.:(

Polly_45 08-05-2009 16:02

Well after todays i wont be buying another Observer

flashy 08-05-2009 17:03

sh!te wasnt it, i've just read it, it took me all of 5 minutes, now its a waste of money

jaysay 08-05-2009 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 712011)
sh!te wasnt it, i've just read it, it took me all of 5 minutes, now its a waste of money

You must be a slow reader like me flashy:D

Margaret Pilkington 08-05-2009 18:24

It isn't even fit for wrapping chips in....sorry, but I think I will be giving it the elbow

flashy 08-05-2009 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 712023)
You must be a slow reader like me flashy:D

was textin at the same time Jay ;)

jaysay 09-05-2009 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 712053)
was textin at the same time Jay ;)

Ah, I'll let you off then:D women are good at multi tasking:rolleyes:

Eric 09-05-2009 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 710843)
the slow death of the local press is happening all over the world , the only folks who I see benefiting from this are the local Politicians (all parties) , means more of the dirty tricks, corruption and sleaze never get the public airing they deserve.

maybe its part of a big giant plot to keep the public ignorant and allow the NWO to take over ;)

Nah ... an elite group of intelligent trees is working behind the scenes to get all print media changed over to on-line .... :eek:

tosh 09-05-2009 18:59

got the obs this week it will be the last one i buy.