Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Syrup versus Treacle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/syrup-versus-treacle-4763.html)

WillowTheWhisp 29-06-2004 17:54

Syrup versus Treacle

A few days ago I had a discussion over a syrup sponge (sponge pudding topped with golden runny syrup) which someone else called a treacle sponge. I said if it was treacle it would have been black because treacle is black stuff and syrup is golden.

"What about treacle tart?" he said. "That's not black!"

He was right. It isn't. But the golden stuff is syrup and treacle is black stuff............isn't it?

Busman747 29-06-2004 17:59

Re: Syrup versus Treacle

Sorry Willow, I can't imagine biting into a treacle tart that is not golden, The thought of black gunge on my favourite tart - - (ok, WHO whispered Emma Bunting?) but then again - - -Lol

Sparkologist 29-06-2004 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
But the golden stuff is syrup and treacle is black stuff............isn't it?

If it comes out of a Tate & Lyles tin, then yes the golden stuff is syrup and the black stuff is treacle.

Which is the best though? I reckon neither of 'em! For me it has to be maple syrup. :)

WillowTheWhisp 29-06-2004 18:06

mmmm yummy yes! I just had a wonderful maple syrup boat at the Carnforth Hotel this lunchtime.

I do love treacle parkin too tho.

Doug 29-06-2004 19:28

Now then Willow, This is a bit of a sticky subject - syrup or treacle.

You use Syrup for: Butties, Puddings & Porridge

You use Treacle for: Sticky Treacle Toffee & Cake

Doug 29-06-2004 19:29

Sorry.........

lettie 29-06-2004 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkologist
For me it has to be maple syrup. :)

Would that be with pancakes & vanilla ice-cream?? ;)

Love Syrup sponge with loads of custard, but also love treacle tart, treacle toffee and parkin, anything sweet will do for me. Unfortunately these things tend to pile on the pounds.

Syrup is definately golden and treacle black. I would hazard a guess that the treacle lightens in colour during the cooking of treacle tarts.. :)

grego 29-06-2004 19:47

Syrup is definately golden, and treacle black, used to love both on butties or just eating it from a spoon, cant beat maple syrup on eggy bread its delicious!

Smiffy16 29-06-2004 20:03

I agree with grego

WillowTheWhisp 29-06-2004 20:46

You reckon I'm on a sticky wicket with this Doug?

Ohoh maple syrup on eggy bread sounds good.

Treacle tarts aren't black gunge Busman but I can't help wondering if they are made with syrup and if so why they aren't called syrup tarts. :confused:

Where did Emma Bunting come from ???

Busman747 29-06-2004 21:12

Sorry Willow, I digressed slightly when I mentioned Emma Bunting, It was when I mentioned my favourite tart - - -

ANNE 29-06-2004 22:24

Your right Syrup is golden and treacle black.

Gobsmacked 30-06-2004 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
Sorry.........

Were you the one Willow spoke of in the initial post who thinks syrup is treacle?

Treacle isn't as sweet as syrup. It probably wouldn't taste as good on a sponge. Personally I just put soap on mine and use them in the bath. ;)

janet 30-06-2004 10:27

Used to eat syrup and treacle butties all the time when i was a kid. Have not had them for years. What about H.P brown sauce butties, yummy.

ShortStuff 30-06-2004 20:02

Treacle and syrup are both far too sweet - and messy!