Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   BBC Secrecy (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/bbc-secrecy-47717.html)

jaysay 04-06-2009 09:19

BBC Secrecy

The BBC are refusing to give details of top radio presenters salaries to the National Audit Office, unless they sign a non-disclosure agreement. When I read this this morning I had a quick look at the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Excuse me but is this corporation not run entirely by the public's licensing fees and don't we have a right to know just what the like of Wogan and Ross are being paid:(

***Mr D*** 04-06-2009 11:15

Re: BBC Secrecy

BBC all they are is a goverment controlled brainwashing, propaganda tool anyways.

and worse of all we have to pay for it.:rolleyes:

Gayle 04-06-2009 11:18

I wonder what would happen if someone requested the information under the Freedom of Information Act?

I've long since held the belief that the BBC should not be funded by a license.

SamF 04-06-2009 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 718781)
BBC all they are is a goverment controlled brainwashing, propaganda tool anyways.

and worse of all we have to pay for it.:rolleyes:

Aye, best stick to the mail eh ?

***Mr D*** 04-06-2009 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamF (Post 718783)

The Mail?

Neil 04-06-2009 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 718782)
I wonder what would happen if someone requested the information under the Freedom of Information Act?

Are you trying it then?

accyman 04-06-2009 15:44

Quote:

i think 99% of people think the bbc should fund its self

the other 1% are mugs

jaysay 04-06-2009 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamF (Post 718783)

No this was on the BBC itself DH

jaysay 04-06-2009 16:07

Quote:

I've been of the same mind Gayle because if the BBC funded itself, there would be no need for a lience fee:rolleyes:

Benipete 04-06-2009 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 718810)
i think 99% of people think the bbc should fund its self

the other 1% are mugs

A lot of people at the BBC do fund themselves out of our money.Could well be the next round in the expenses saga.:mad::mad:

Eric 04-06-2009 17:17

If it were not publicly funded would it survive the competition from other broadcasters? I'm curious to know if there are any "content rules" for the BBC? Do they have to air a percentage of programs written and produced in Britain, rather than in the media factories of the US? Is the BBC uniquely British, or is it just another outlet for tv garbage? We don't pay a license, but millions of tax-payer dollars go to support the CBC. Because of this we can hear classical and jazz etc on CBC radio, and good talk shows, not interrupted by annoying ads. And on CBC tv there are decent Canadian produced shows: Corner Gas, Trailer Park Boys, and Little Mosque on the Prairies are favs of mine; and Due South, I know, is a favorite of at least one AccyWeb member:D. And these shows, written and produced in Canada, with Canadian actors might not survive without some form of govt. subsidy. On tv, the ad content is lower.

Ossywarrior 04-06-2009 18:35

aren't the presenters entitled to the privacy as we are ? i wont give my salary details out to anybody.

Neil 04-06-2009 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ossywarrior (Post 718852)
aren't the presenters entitled to the privacy as we are ? i wont give my salary details out to anybody.

I don't believe they should be, not while they are paid from public money. We know how much Police, Fire and NHS staff are on so we should know how much BBC people are on.

blazey 04-06-2009 19:58

I don't think it should be anyone's business to be honest. If you don't like the fact that the public pay for the BBC through tv licences, stop watching it. Or watch it online on iplayer for free like the majority of students do. The delay in broadcasting means you don't need a tv licence to watch it.

People whinge about these things and yet continue to use the service. I believe in boycotting things I disagree with.

Eric 04-06-2009 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 718890)
I don't think it should be anyone's business to be honest. If you don't like the fact that the public pay for the BBC through tv licences, stop watching it. Or watch it online on iplayer for free like the majority of students do. The delay in broadcasting means you don't need a tv licence to watch it.

People whinge about these things and yet continue to use the service. I believe in boycotting things I disagree with.

And I believe in boycotting things and people that disagree with me:D But isn't a national, govt. funded broadcaster a good idea? Whether thro' a licence such as you guys have to buy, or through a few extra bucks on taxes such as Canadians pay to have the CBC? The alternative is a mass of crap out of the US and ads for 20 mins. out of the hour. If you guys are concerned about a national identity, isn't the BBC part of it?