Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Neighbourhood Management (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/neighbourhood-management-48571.html)

andrewb 30-07-2009 13:50

Neighbourhood Management

I don't know if it's the whole Labour group, but certainly our resident politition Graham Jones is going to boycott Neighbourhood Management Boards according to the telegraph.

I'm confused on two parts. In the article it's suggested that residents won't be able to attend and won't be represented on Neighbourhood Management Boards, but as far as I'm aware they will (see Rishton)? Secondly I thought Graham had taken credit for and wanted the introduction of these Neighbourhood Management's, now he's against them?
:confused:

g jones 30-07-2009 14:46

Re: Neighbourhood Management

It's simple. Residents and I set up Neighbourhood Management from scratch 4 years ago. It is working well and we have an office on Nuttall St and a variety of schemes.

The Tories loathe the fact I am Chair, residents love NM because it was non-political and they have a say in Peel & Barnfield. It is why residents did not like Area Council's because the Council appointed the chair and controlled the agenda and Google Page Ranking.

NM gave people a chance. However because the Council channel funds from Elevate (£30k per year for 4 p/t staff) they used this authority without consultation to rewrite the contracts so that all chairs and vice chairs will now be appointed by the Leader of the Council and all residents who want to go on the new council NM one are vetted so some 'problematic' residents could be thrown off and kept off. So we have gone full circle back to Area Council's.

The Council two weeks ago then tried to take over our NM agenda and timetable of meetings misleading people into believing new meetings had been arranged when they had not. It was the Leader who called this alternate meeting with 9 just days notice.

As a result residents are furious and all of them have decided they want nothing to do with Teh Council's NM Board and have been to see Greg Pope MP. I agreed to tell everyone it was cancelled from our viewpoint and included Councillor Pritchard who I texted, Mr Britcliffe's nomination for new chair. I sent a text to Mr Pritchard informing him that at short notice of 5 out of the 6 resident board members plus 4 out of 7 Councillors could not make it. The Council have been trying to run a wrecking spree on NM in East Accrington and I was keen we avoided an unnecessary showdown between The Council and residents.

The meeting was called by Mr Britcliffe on Immanuel election night so Labour Councillors would be distracted.

Everyone knows what is at the heart of all this. The Conservatives are trying to stop residents in East Accrington from being empowered because all the money is going down Blackburn Road. A lot of lies were put out by Cllrs Pritchard and bussom buddy, Cllr Britcliffe to say I personally did not care. Actually ff they cared they would have worked with people, not against them and asked the public how they wanted NM in this area to run. But they won't because they don't like the answer.

All the residents bar one have now declined the Council's approaches to be part of this new franchise. Instead they have decided, with local Councillors, to carry on (as originally) because what we were doing was not political (unlike the Council), it was what was best for our area.

We have now lost 4 years momentum for Peel & Barnfield and face the prospect of being knocked back several squares in the struggle for this area.

This was all planned. Two Conservatives were caught discussing on remembrance sunday at the cenotaph how they could stop me (as chair - because i was doing too good a job!), and the Council take back control of NM.

It always has been Cllr Britcliffe plotting. This time though it's the residents he has kicked into the long grass.

g jones 30-07-2009 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 732151)
I thought Graham had taken credit for and wanted the introduction of these Neighbourhood Management's, now he's against them? :confused:

Andrew. I am with the residents against the views of someone like yourself because you are not interested in our area. It is why you lost the Accrington South County Council seat. People are sick and fed of your politics and I told you they would take it out on you at the ballot box. And they did!

I am for a 'people led' NM like the one I set up. The Council NM is not NM but a gestapo approach to resident coercion.

This is another kick in the teeth to residents and I think it is only a matter of time before the two Conservative Barnfield Councillors also pay the price of authoritarianism and neglect.

cashman 30-07-2009 15:42

andrew will always see the "Conservative" Truth, don't waste yer breath.:rolleyes:

andrewb 30-07-2009 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 732162)
Andrew. I am with the residents against the views of someone like yourself because you are not interested in our area. It is why you lost the Accrington South County Council seat. People are sick and fed of your politics and I told you they would take it out on you at the ballot box. And they did!

I am for a 'people led' NM like the one I set up. The Council NM is not NM but a gestapo approach to resident coercion.

This is another kick in the teeth to residents and I think it is only a matter of time before the two Conservative Barnfield Councillors also pay the price of authoritarianism and neglect.

Thank-you for the response, it makes things a lot clearer than the article.

It is a shame that you had to make your second post though. You make a lot of incorrect assumptions. Have you ever thought of taking up a ventiloquist act in Oswaldtwistle Theatre? ;)

If you want to attack councillors for their actions then go ahead, but please don't say false things about me.

g jones 30-07-2009 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 732191)
Thank-you for the response, it makes things a lot clearer than the article.

If you want to attack councillors for their actions then go ahead, but please don't say false things about me.

Fair point and you are right. I meant it in the general sense. It's a disgrace what Tories have done in our area. Now NM which had become a beacon for people is now a directionless shambles run from the Leaders office with a useless puppet, Malcolm Pritchard now anointed (not elected) as new Council chair and residents resigning left, right and centre.

garinda 31-07-2009 00:25

At least with Graham Jones, as with with Greg Pope, you can start a thread on Accy Web, asking them an urgent question, and as if by magic up they pop, to give their point of view.

Many people have asked similar questions on here of the ruling party councillors here in Hyndburn, but not a dicky bird.

Though there was that one and only post from HisMaster'sVoiceHBC, or whatever it was Peter Britcliffe chose as his username. Though that wasn't very enlightening, and something of an anticlimax.

When it comes to answers to questions from our Conservative councillors on here, we have to rely on the Chinese whispers from the Three Stooges, Curly, Larry, and Moe.

cashman 31-07-2009 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 732271)
At least with Graham Jones, as with with Greg Pope, you can start a thread on Accy Web, asking them an urgent question, and as if by magic up they pop, to give their point of view.

Many people have asked similar questions on here of the ruling party councillors here in Hyndburn, but not a dicky bird.

Though there was that one and only post from HisMaster'sVoiceHBC, or whatever it was Peter Britcliffe chose as his username. Though that wasn't very enlightening, and something of an anticlimax.

When it comes to answers to questions from our Conservative councillors on here, we have to rely on the Chinese whispers from the Three Stooges, Curly, Larry, and Moe.

thats true but the absense of em is due to the big stones they crawl under, very hard to lift.:rolleyes:

andrewb 31-07-2009 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 732271)

I think you make an interesting point about communication. You and I might know how to contact my councillor by e-mail or phone but a lot of people don't. Hyndburn residents rarely hear from their MP or council outside of election time which is in quite a contrast to other areas of the country.

garinda 31-07-2009 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 732284)
I think you make an interesting point about communication. You and I might know how to contact my councillor by e-mail or phone but a lot of people don't. Hyndburn residents rarely hear from their MP or council outside of election time which is in quite a contrast to other areas of the country.

Thanks for sharing that misinformation with us Larry.

Bernard Dawson 31-07-2009 08:50

I'm also member of the Peel and Barnfield Neighborhood Management committee that was formed mainly as Graham Jones as said, to bring much needed investment into those two areas

The N.M.B was made up of residents, who for the first time could see the possibility of real improvements in the area that they live in. For years we have seen major investment into the Blackburn Rd area and very little into any other area. And this was a chance to spread the money out a bit

There was absolutely no reason for leader of the council to change anything, the committee was working really well. We had real residents involvement But the leader of the council will not leave things alone, even if it's obvious that it's working well. He has to control everything.

Graham, and and the residents of Peel and Barnfield are right not to have anything to do with Mr Britcliffe's new committee. And I won't be attending it either.

jaysay 31-07-2009 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 732311)
I'm also member of the Peel and Barnfield Neighborhood Management committee that was formed mainly as Graham Jones as said, to bring much needed investment into those two areas

The N.M.B was made up of residents, who for the first time could see the possibility of real improvements in the area that they live in. For years we have seen major investment into the Blackburn Rd area and very little into any other area. And this was a chance to spread the money out a bit

There was absolutely no reason for leader of the council to change anything, the committee was working really well. We had real residents involvement But the leader of the council will not leave things alone, even if it's obvious that it's working well. He has to control everything.

Graham, and and the residents of Peel and Barnfield are right not to have anything to do with Mr Britcliffe's new committee. And I won't be attending it either.

Toys out of the pram as well:rolleyes:

Bernard Dawson 31-07-2009 09:27

It,s absolutely nothing to do with "toys out of the pram". What it's fundamentally about is letting the residents of Peel and Barnfield in this case, have the final say as to what happens in the areas that they live in.

The Leader of the Council is totally opposed to this concept. For Peter it's about Control

g jones 31-07-2009 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 732314)
Toys out of the pram as well:rolleyes:

well that's not the only toys out of the pram is 479 John and you know it. Because you lost, the leader is throwing his toys out of the pram and having a hissy fit about it. This is his childish response.

andrewb 31-07-2009 09:39

How do neighbourhood management's work then? Is there a vote to allocate funds within them? Presumably this means the chair would only have the casting vote in a tie and must remain impartial. Would the Labour group not have more influence and freedom if they were not tied up chairing the meeting and left it to an independent councillor?

jaysay 31-07-2009 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 732331)
well that's not the only toys out of the pram is 479 John and you know it. Because you lost, the leader is throwing his toys out of the pram and having a hissy fit about it. This is his childish response.

No Graham, he is just taking a leaf out of the books of past Labour Leaders of HBC. The thing is you like to make the rules when in power but think you should make them in opposition and you are in opposition for a reason;)

garinda 31-07-2009 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 732346)
No Graham, he is just taking a leaf out of the books of past Labour Leaders of HBC. The thing is you like to make the rules when in power but think you should make them in opposition and you are in opposition for a reason;)

Is it the same reason you've been in opposition in Westminster for the past twelve years, or a different one?

Gayle 31-07-2009 10:46

I don't know if I this helps or not but from what I understand this is what's happened....

Neighbourhead Management was set up some years ago and managed by the Council in five wards - the deprived ones from what I understand - with a chunk of funding.

Each area, plus all the other areas in the borough, have had Area Councils. Or, in the case of Peel and Barnfield, a seperate body which was set up by residents. In many areas across the borough these weren't being well attended.

Now, every area will have a Neighbourhood Management board. In areas where there was already an established Neighbourhood Management board nothing will change. In areas where there is an Area Council i.e. Ossy, it will change to being a Neighbourhood Management board. In Ossy, very little will change because we have mostly Conservative Councillors and it's really just a change of name.

jaysay 31-07-2009 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 732355)
Is it the same reason you've been in opposition in Westminster for the past twelve years, or a different one?

Exactly, but things are going to change in Westminster but very unlikely in Hyndburn:D

g jones 31-07-2009 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 732360)
I don't know if I this helps or not but from what I understand this is what's happened....

Neighbourhead Management was set up some years ago and managed by the Council in five wards - the deprived ones from what I understand - with a chunk of funding.

Each area, plus all the other areas in the borough, have had Area Councils. Or, in the case of Peel and Barnfield, a seperate body which was set up by residents. In many areas across the borough these weren't being well attended.

Now, every area will have a Neighbourhood Management board. In areas where there was already an established Neighbourhood Management board nothing will change. In areas where there is an Area Council i.e. Ossy, it will change to being a Neighbourhood Management board. In Ossy, very little will change because we have mostly Conservative Councillors and it's really just a change of name.

Sort of. Area Council's were political (always defending the Council/promoting the Council) and failing. Attendances dropped to around 3 in P&B and as low in other areas. Out of Accy they were more successful. They catered for small things in areas with little problems.

In Accy they failed because they promised a lot and did little. So residents across Accy set up NM to a different job. Not to spend Council money (they all had no budget) but to make sure the money that was being spent was spent better and 2. Talk about strategic issues rather than park benches. Residents could join, they just had to commit to being there at every meeting (as issues progressed from meeting to meeting).

NM included the public and the public could chair the meetings. At this moment in time I think none are chaired by Councillors (except the new Council one in Rishton).

No more long Council presentations. No more long discussions about spending £25 in the local park. Instead Landlord Licesning, Street Ambassodors, Visual Blight, Street Audits, hi tec CCTV cameras to loan +++ Community hubs and offices with helpful staff.

And with this success comes the Council looking to steal it all back under their umbrella.

g jones 31-07-2009 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 732346)

Yes we will be changing the rules. Out with dictatorship, in with democracy. You'll like it so much you might even want to vote Labour.

andrewb 31-07-2009 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 732454)
Yes we will be changing the rules. Out with dictatorship, in with democracy. You'll like it so much you might even want to vote Labour.

You know Graham, you'd get much more credit if you didn't attack for the sake of attacking using words like 'dictatorship' for an elected leader.

You and Peter share similar traits. Here you're claiming he's controlled obsessed. Though he's trying to put an independent councillor in... even one that was formally Labour. By doing that it removes your control from your baby, so you're throwing the toys out of the pram. See you both want to be in control and clashing isn't really doing anybody any good, you're both to blame.

Royboy39 31-07-2009 19:47

Quote:

My take on this....If it's not broken, don't mend it.
I am a Tory, Yes....but don't like the sound of this.

g jones 31-07-2009 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 732469)
You know Graham, you'd get much more credit if you didn't attack for the sake of attacking using words like 'dictatorship' for an elected leader.

You and Peter share similar traits. Here you're claiming he's controlled obsessed. Though he's trying to put an independent councillor in... even one that was formally Labour. By doing that it removes your control from your baby, so you're throwing the toys out of the pram. See you both want to be in control and clashing isn't really doing anybody any good, you're both to blame.

I think you'll find Andrew I stepped down as Chair this year to allow residents to take more control... It would help if you did your research before you started. (I also did that with Arden Hall)

I am there to empower people, as I said more democracy. Cllr Britcliffe is dictatorial in his approach to most things.

andrewb 31-07-2009 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 732484)
I think you'll find Andrew I stepped down as Chair this year to allow residents to take more control... It would help if you did your research before you started. (I also did that with Arden Hall)

I am there to empower people, as I said more democracy. Cllr Britcliffe is dictatorial in his approach to most things.

What makes you think the independent councillor who was formally one of your Labour colleagues will not allow residents control? How will you know unless you bother to attend..

Neil 01-08-2009 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 732453)
No more long Council presentations. No more long discussions about spending £25 in the local park. Instead Landlord Licesning, Street Ambassodors, Visual Blight, Street Audits, hi tec CCTV cameras to loan +++ Community hubs and offices with helpful staff.

I agree that the Area Council meeting can be a little boring at times and are fairly formal. I also understand that they have to be conducted in the correct manner as they are a part of the Council - minutes approved, spending proposed and seconded etc.

It sound to me like your original concept for the NMB's was for inline with residents and friends of groups. If that is the case I do think they can be run much less formally. They are not spending tax payers money for a start.

g jones 01-08-2009 08:27

He has a deal with the Tories and as such was sacked by the other 4 independents this week for being partial and unethical.

Secondly he is a councillor. I want a resident. One who lives in the HMR area as that is important. Pritchard has no idea about the area. He is only doing it to do PBs dirty work so next year he can be Mayor.

Neil 01-08-2009 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 732573)
He has a deal with the Tories and as such was sacked by the other 4 independents this week for being partial and unethical.

How can an independent be sacked??

Are you saying that the independents are a party in there own right and not independent at all?

jaysay 01-08-2009 08:39

Quote:

Hell will freeze over first, especially with a megalomaniac like you anywhere near power

jaysay 01-08-2009 08:56

Quote:

Just to add to my earlier post, you say that I may want to vote Labour, that's very strange when only last week your official candidate at a by-election couldn't even put that on her leaflets, If your official candidate is so ashamed of your party that she won't put that statement on her literature why would anybody want to vote for her, or your party for that matter

Bernard Dawson 01-08-2009 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 732483)
My take on this....If it's not broken, don't mend it.
I am a Tory, Yes....but don't like the sound of this.

You're absolutely right, as you say if it's not broken,don't mend it. It's a point Iv'e been trying to get over to leader of the council for years.

He will insist on trying to mend things that are not broken, more often than not at a cost to the ratepayers of this Borough.

jaysay 01-08-2009 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 732622)
You're absolutely right, as you say if it's not broken,don't mend it. It's a point Iv'e been trying to get over to leader of the council for years.

He will insist on trying to mend things that are not broken, more often than not at a cost to the ratepayers of this Borough.

That ain't what the audit commision say Bernard, I'll take notice of what they say not what an opposition who will stop at nothing to try and gain power. HBC has gone from a poor performing council when the Tories took over from your lot to an excellent performing council today. This is stated by the Audit Commision who are independent and have no political axe to grind, I'll take their word for it Bernard if you don't mind

jaysay 02-08-2009 09:21

No answer Bernard:rolleyes:

jaysay 02-08-2009 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 732577)
Just to add to my earlier post, you say that I may want to vote Labour, that's very strange when only last week your official candidate at a by-election couldn't even put that on her leaflets, If your official candidate is so ashamed of your party that she won't put that statement on her literature why would anybody want to vote for her, or your party for that matter

No answer Graham:rolleyes:

garinda 02-08-2009 09:29

I always think it's more important for the people that live in a borough to decide if a council is 'excellent'.

They are the ones who have to judge if the amount of council tax they pay, from their hard earned money, is worth the level of service received.

I would imagine the two wouldn't tally, in many cases.

andrewb 02-08-2009 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 732783)
I always think it's more important for the people that live in a borough to decide if a council is 'excellent'.

They are the ones who have to judge if the amount of council tax they pay, from their hard earned money, is worth the level of service received.

I would imagine the two wouldn't tally, in many cases.

Of course not, people don't like to be taxed. People also wouldn't understand why they pay more for band A in Hyndburn than their friends or family in the Ribble Valley. The council tax system itself is unfair on low income districts. A district with lots of band A properties and hence lower income for the council than a council with lots of band D properties, still has to deliver the same services. Therefore council tax is charged at a higher rate to the district with mostly band A housing.

Do you trust that our political parties will explain these things so that residents can make an educated decision, or will those with the most to gain scream about how much council tax is?

Bernard Dawson 02-08-2009 09:58

My point is that there are several occasions in the past when Peter Britcliffe's insistence on trying to mend things when they are not broken has cost this borough money.

I'll give you two recent examples. One was the name change. A lot of money spent,and then it disappears without a trace. Why because people didn't want the change.

Town Council in Gt Harwood,again a lot of money spent. What happens it disappears without a trace.

In both these instances he knew there was no great desire for change, But he won't listen.

On the excellent council. The judge of whether or not Hyndburn is an excellent council should the be the ratepayers of this Borough. It's about service delivery. Do we as a Council provide an excellent service for the money people are paying in council tax?

jaysay 02-08-2009 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 732795)
My point is that there are several occasions in the past when Peter Britcliffe's insistence on trying to mend things when they are not broken has cost this borough money.

I'll give you two recent examples. One was the name change. A lot of money spent,and then it disappears without a trace. Why because people didn't want the change.

Town Council in Gt Harwood,again a lot of money spent. What happens it disappears without a trace.

In both these instances he knew there was no great desire for change, But he won't listen.

On the excellent council. The judge of whether or not Hyndburn is an excellent council should the be the ratepayers of this Borough. It's about service delivery. Do we as a Council provide an excellent service for the money people are paying in council tax?

Well according to the Audit Commission YES, and you mean that Graham is a good listener, only to his own voice he is

Bernard Dawson 02-08-2009 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 732816)
Well according to the Audit Commission YES, and you mean that Graham is a good listener, only to his own voice he is

The Audit Commission doesn't look at service delivery. That's part of the problem.

accyman 02-08-2009 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 732783)

funny you should mention that because yesterday when coming from blackburn into rishton i saw a sign saying welcome to hyndburn and underneath it says AN EXCELLENT COUNCIL

now apart from anyone who has any dealings with them most likely strongly disagreeing with that comment and have spent days in their office or hours on the phone trying to sort out a minor issue ,been over charged for council tax , had rent suspended for no justifiable reason or had to leave tehir back yard unlocked for days or weeks so that rubbish can be taken away i would love to know where they got that nugget of information from :rolleyes:

the borough of hyndburn may well be OK'ish but teh council is far far far from excellent

g jones 02-08-2009 12:07

The audit commission had a quick lookover and were handheld around the Borough for a week by the Council. I was not allowed to speak to them. That tells you straight away they have something to hide.

Neil 02-08-2009 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 732834)
The audit commission had a quick lookover and were handheld around the Borough for a week by the Council. I was not allowed to speak to them. That tells you straight away they have something to hide.

I would expect that most Councils do the same thing. It is the same thing with schools and OFSTED inspections.

BERNADETTE 02-08-2009 12:19

Surely the audit commission were shown the books to prove that the councils debts had decreased. They wouldn't have been able to grade the council otherwise.

Bernard Dawson 02-08-2009 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 732838)
Surely the audit commission were shown the books to prove that the councils debts had decreased. They wouldn't have been able to grade the council otherwise.

Bernie, it's not so much what the audit commission look at, more what they don't look at.

The audit commission only looked at a couple of areas of council activity. A council can be quite good in some areas, and not so good in other areas.

What they don't do also is talk to people who receive council services,the Public.

If the council tax payers of this Borough think they are getting an excellent service from the council then fine. I would more than willing to recognise this council as an excellent performing council.

But I'm far from convinsed that's the case.

Gayle 02-08-2009 18:15

The other side of that, though Bernard, is that the majority of people who live in Hyndburn judge Hyndburn on all of the services - but a lot of the services are provided by LCC. This clouds the issue somewhat.

BERNADETTE 02-08-2009 18:21

It just seems that any chance to have a dig at the opposition seems to be the order of the day with Hyndburn councillors. Thank goodness politics isn't my cup of tea, I think I'd end up wanting to bang heads together if I had to sit through meetings.

Bernard Dawson 02-08-2009 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 732865)
The other side of that, though Bernard, is that the majority of people who live in Hyndburn judge Hyndburn on all of the services - but a lot of the services are provided by LCC. This clouds the issue somewhat.

That's true Gayle, interestingly Lancashire County Council was at one time classed as an excellent council also. And I wasn't convinced of that either.

You have probably deduced that I'm not a big fan of this local authority grading system. It's just basically in my view a local authority beauty contest

Council's should always be looking at ways to improve the services they provide to the public. For me it's about service provision, and that's where the resources of the council should be going into.

Gayle 02-08-2009 18:40

I'm not a fan of the grading system either. There are a lot of different factors involved that aren't measured by the system - for example, an area is excellent if it has good schooling, good facilities, exciting nightlife, good road systems, etc. A council may be excellent if paper is pushed in the right direction at the right time.

However, I do think that it is a step in the right direction. We have to start believing in ourselves and if it takes an outside body to come in and tell us that Hyndburn is an excellent place to be then that could be the first step.

Bernard Dawson 02-08-2009 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 732870)
I'm not a fan of the grading system either. There are a lot of different factors involved that aren't measured by the system - for example, an area is excellent if it has good schooling, good facilities, exciting nightlife, good road systems, etc. A council may be excellent if paper is pushed in the right direction at the right time.

However, I do think that it is a step in the right direction. We have to start believing in ourselves and if it takes an outside body to come in and tell us that Hyndburn is an excellent place to be then that could be the first step.

I would agree with that Gayle.We all want Hyndburn to be an excellent place to live in.

One of the problems also with calling ourselves an excellent council can be complacency.We should always be trying to improve the service we provide to the public

garinda 02-08-2009 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 732795)
...the name change. A lot of money spent,and then it disappears without a trace. Why because people didn't want the change.

Do we know how much was spent on that particular piece of thwarted megalomania?

Oh God, do I really want to know?

Next I'll be asking how much the public consultation about town councils cost us. The one which paid for the printing and delivery of questionaires to 'every home in the borough', but which vast swathes of residents never even got.

What we need is a bright young thing, with a keen interest in politics, to find out for us under the Freedom of Information Act.

garinda 02-08-2009 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 732820)
The Audit Commission doesn't look at service delivery. That's part of the problem.

If the council's delivery of service isn't part of the equation, which it most certainly should be, if they are going to label a council 'excellent' or not, what criteria do they use to decide their verdict on?

If the desks are kept clean, and the pencils are sharpened?

garinda 02-08-2009 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 732870)
We have to start believing in ourselves and if it takes an outside body to come in and tell us that Hyndburn is an excellent place to be then that could be the first step.

Absolute bunkum.

You could tell her, day in, day out, that she was the most beautiful girl on the planet.

She's still never going to win Miss World.

http://anybody.squarespace.com/storage/boyle.jpg

That's the sort of namby pamby patronage that means real progress is never achieved.
Like telling every competitors in school sports day that 'they are all winnersreally'.

We have to start by actually striving to achieve excellence.

Congratulating ourselves with a pat on the back, makes no difference what so ever.

Especially as the criteria used is so suspect to begin with.

garinda 02-08-2009 23:24

Walking is becoming more and more difficult for me, and there are many more people with poorer mobility than myself, or sight that isn't perfect.

I might be more inclined to judge H.B.C. 'excellent' if the borough didn't have the worse pavements in the country. Many of which are in areas that have been recently 'refurbished', at some massive cost.

They are a disgrace, and dangerous.

There's nothing excellent to report about them.

garinda 02-08-2009 23:54

Blimey, that was quite a run of spleen venting.

I'd better clock out now, before Bernard Ingham starts his day shift tomorrow.

:D

jaysay 03-08-2009 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 732863)
Bernie, it's not so much what the audit commission look at, more what they don't look at.

The audit commission only looked at a couple of areas of council activity. A council can be quite good in some areas, and not so good in other areas.

What they don't do also is talk to people who receive council services,the Public.

If the council tax payers of this Borough think they are getting an excellent service from the council then fine. I would more than willing to recognise this council as an excellent performing council.

But I'm far from convinced that's the case.

The audit commission now say HBC is an excellent run council and your not satisfied with that Bernard, it must have been in a hell of a mess when the Tories took over from your lot when it was classed as a very poor council:rolleyes: