Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Howarth Art gallery (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/howarth-art-gallery-48634.html)

Retlaw 03-08-2009 19:17

Howarth Art gallery

Any one know if there is any truth in the rumour that
Howarth Art Gallery is to be sold.

Retlaw.

garinda 03-08-2009 19:43

Re: Howarth Art gallery

I most sincerely hope that it isn't true.

I'll be amongst the first protester to chain myself to the front door if it is.

Where did you hear it?

Royboy39 03-08-2009 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 733064)
I most sincerely hope that it isn't true.

I'll be amongst the first protester to chain myself to the front door if it is.

Where did you hear it?

Yet another soapbox opportunity Garinda, go for it and enjoy.:eek:

garinda 03-08-2009 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 733065)
Yet another soapbox opportunity Garinda, go for it and enjoy.:eek:

Even though it apparently remains an unsubstantiated rumour, many, many people who live in Hyndburn, and indeed the northwest, would be horrfied if it was true.

Some people actually care about where they live, especially if amenities that were bequeathed to the people of the town are being sold off.

It's happened before, such as when Oswald House in Rhyddings Street, given and used as a museum in Oswaldtwistle, was sold off commercially by the council of the day.

I suspect I'll be one of many people who'd fight something like that happening again.

Royboy39 03-08-2009 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 733070)
Even though it apparently remains an unsubstantiated rumour, many, many people who live in Hyndburn, and indeed the northwest, would be horrfied if it was true.

Some people actually care about where they live, especially if amenities that were bequeathed to the people of the town are being sold off.

It's happened before, such as when Oswald House in Rhyddings Street, given and used as a museum in Oswaldtwistle, was sold off commercially by the council of the day.

I suspect I'll be one of many people who'd fight something like that happening again.

Your Neminis is PB and he seems content in winding you up.

Gayle 03-08-2009 20:25

No truth in it whatsoever.

Retlaw 03-08-2009 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 733070)

Contacted the source again, two versions are now being checked on.
(1) that it was discussed by council.
(2) that it is a done deal and has been sold to Lancs County, who it is claimed will be able to get funding for the upkeep and maintainece of the building, which has been neglected.

What I see wrong with the 2nd is that the county could get funding, use it for other things and move the contents elsewhere more to their liking.
Just look at the prestige value if county moved the Tiffany collection to Preston.

I hope all this has'nt or does'nt happen.
Will know more in a day or so.
Retlaw

jaysay 04-08-2009 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 733074)

Thats good enough for me

wadey 04-08-2009 09:47

I'm sure somebody said they were going to a wedding there, can't remember who

Retlaw 04-08-2009 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 733074)

Sorry to disapoint you Gayle, but there is truth in it, talks HAVE been taking place.
Been to see those who should know, and they admit that it is on the cards.
Why should LC be able to get funding and not HBC.
There is a brass plaque at the top of the stairs, which says where funding has come from for the present displays.

Retlaw.

Gayle 04-08-2009 16:01

What would be so wrong with LCC managing it?

Bernard Dawson 04-08-2009 16:28

Howarth Art Gallery was left to the people of Accrington. If there is any truth in this,and there have been rumours circulating, the question would be what might the building be used for in the future.

We cant make guarantees about the future of buildings we don't own. I would hope that Hyndburn Council holds on to the Howarth.

garinda 04-08-2009 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 733366)
I would hope that Hyndburn Council holds on to the Howarth.

...mainly because it wasn't given to them. They are the custodians of it, and it's collections, for the people of Accrington.

Thank you for confirming there is some truth in the rumours, and that you seem to oppose the plan, as many others will too.

Gayle 04-08-2009 17:20

So if the Haworth was given to the people of Accrington and Hyndburn Borough Council are merely custodians, shouldn't the people of Accrington want the best custodians to be looking after it?

The Haworth can't physically move so it's never going to be relocated in a different part of the county. It's always going to be there for the people of Accrington.

And btw - if it's for the people of Accrington, why do the people of Accrington not use it??????

Retlaw 04-08-2009 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 733359)
What would be so wrong with LCC managing it?

As I said earlier, it would'nt take long for them to decide in the interests of economy and other such councill bulls**t, when they want something to their advantage, to move the Tiffany collection to Preston the they can claim they have the biggest collection of Tiffany glass in Europe.
The building might still be there but that does'nt mean the contents always will be. Retlaw.