Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Ski Slopes In Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ski-slopes-in-accrington-50919.html)

lancsdave 20-12-2009 08:36

Ski Slopes In Accrington

Thought the new ski slope which ran from the top of Willows Lane to the bottom was quite impressive this morning, shame I was in the car and not a bobsleigh, I might have managed to go more than 1 mile an hour :(

Shocking that the roads haven't been gritted, have we run out of rock salt in Hyndburnn ?

lancsdave 20-12-2009 09:02

Re: Ski Slopes In Accrington

The police helicopter is circling over the town centre now, guess they are looking for the gritting wagons :D

BERNADETTE 20-12-2009 09:18

They were driving round Eagle Street/town centre area last night and they have been past this morning.

mez 20-12-2009 09:27

pity we arn't still burning coal these days.. then we had our own load of grit ...might have had mucky streets but ..safer walking ..ha ha

andrewb 20-12-2009 10:07

Manchester Road is fine at the moment (though it has just started snowing!). The pavement however is a death trap.

jaysay 20-12-2009 10:33

Its a pity they didn't have the climate conference in Hyndburn, the hot air would have kept the streets clear of snow for the rest of the winter:D

katex 20-12-2009 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez (Post 770946)
pity we arn't still burning coal these days.. then we had our own load of grit ...might have had mucky streets but ..safer walking ..ha ha

Eeew yeh Mez .. had forgotten about that .. remember me mum spreading some in the back yard on the way to the outside loo.

cashman 20-12-2009 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 770957)
Eeew yeh Mez .. had forgotten about that .. remember me mum spreading some in the back yard on the way to the outside loo.

pity ya can't remember what pub yer in.:eek::D

katex 20-12-2009 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 770961)
pity ya can't remember what pub yer in.:eek::D

LOL .. trust you to remember that !! Slip of the tongue that was all. :p

jaysay 20-12-2009 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 770966)
LOL .. trust you to remember that !! Slip of the tongue that was all. :p

Sure it wasn't a slip of the Gin and Tonic kate:D

andrewb 20-12-2009 13:09

Have just seen a truck with a huge pile of grit heading into Accrington. Refills perhaps.

accyman 20-12-2009 15:31

fielding lane is a nightmare especially at teh top where teh road is steep and windey i stopped after finaly sliding going down hill and had a chat with teh guy trying to get up and wished him luck and continued sliding on my way down

iv noticed even the dual carrage way between rising bridge and accy has been badly gritted this year with just one lane slightly cleared .I think they are scared of running out of grit like they did earlier this year and have the spreader set to tight fisted or have a man on teh back fireing salt pellets out with a pea shooter

flashy 20-12-2009 15:51

i think what it is this year, they havent got any mollasses to mix with the salt so they are using sand, i heard it on the news the other day that the mollasses are too expensive now......maybe thats why the grittings crap

MargaretR 20-12-2009 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 771010)
i think what it is this year, they havent got any mollasses to mix with the salt so they are using sand, i heard it on the news the other day that the mollasses are too expensive now......maybe thats why the grittings crap

I blame Thatcher for closing the Sabden treacle mines

flashy 20-12-2009 15:53

lol

Taggy 20-12-2009 16:43

Went to the Old Mother Redcap Carvery this afternoon and they hadn't even gritted the main road there properly either....we really are pathetic in Winter arn't we!!!

Best Regards - Taggy

Eric 20-12-2009 16:45

Bunch of wimps:tongueout:D

Galloping Hairpin 20-12-2009 21:08

They had gritted last night and this morning - I saw them. When it's proper snow and not just slush that is frozen over, grit salt doesn't work. Countries that regularly have snow don't bother to grit. They plough away the excess snow and then get on with it...

We are a bunch of moaning whimps in this country. I've already heard of a few people who are not going into work tomorrow because they are 'snowed in'! With a couple of inches????
...More like they don't have sensible boots or shoes or are too proud to be seen in them and the thought of walking into Accy and not driving for once is sending shivers down their spines!

BERNADETTE 20-12-2009 21:58

Just read on ROL that they have run out of grit in Rossendale, maybe that has happened in Hyndburn as well.

lancsdave 20-12-2009 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galloping Hairpin (Post 771072)
TWe are a bunch of moaning whimps in this country.

As a motorist we pay throught the nose in various taxes to drive on the roads. They should be cleared

cashman 20-12-2009 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 771078)
As a motorist we pay throught the nose in various taxes to drive on the roads. They should be cleared

That fact seems difficult to grasp fer some.:rolleyes:

jaysay 21-12-2009 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 771079)
That fact seems difficult to grasp fer some.:rolleyes:

All the resources are going on gritting the Channel Tunnel:D

K.S.H 21-12-2009 09:20

Just spoke to a neighbour Dave and I said I hadn't seen any gritters out for the last few days, we usually do because we are on a bus route, he told me he see one Yesterday going up Ormerod St and turned left to go up Willows lane and got stuck, he had to reverse back into Ormerod St and then turned right down Willows lane, must have give up on you lot up there after that :D

Benipete 21-12-2009 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 771108)

The bad weather seems to have caught the frogs on the hop:hehetable

jaysay 21-12-2009 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 771123)
The bad weather seems to have caught the frogs on the hop:hehetable

Never actually thought it needed bad weather for that Beni:D

Taggy 21-12-2009 18:05

Apparently part of the problem with the Eurostar Trains is that the Snow has been "Fluffier" than normal!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best Regards - Taggy

Neil 21-12-2009 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galloping Hairpin (Post 771072)
Countries that regularly have snow don't bother to grit. They plough away the excess snow and then get on with it...

Many of them don't have the problem of the temperature rising during the day causing the snow to melt then drop below zero at night causing the melted snow to freeze. That is what causes most of the problems on the roads.

In some countries, like Germany, you have to change your car tyres in winter for winter ones. We don't have to do that here either. Maybe we should.

katex 21-12-2009 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 771024)
Bunch of wimps:tongueout:D

Maybe Eric .. but it is not economically viable to have the equipment to deal with the snow that you have over there in Canada for maybe one short heavy fall per year. All these motorists winging on this thread would not be prepared to pay extra taxes I suspect to cover the cost.

I would very much doubt, however, that you would have the skill to drive on our roads today after your soft option of driving on straight roads and a low number traffic count. :tongueout

MargaretR 21-12-2009 22:59

Yeh - UK is one ginormous dodgem stadium

Mancie 21-12-2009 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 771226)
Many of them don't have the problem of the temperature rising during the day causing the snow to melt then drop below zero at night causing the melted snow to freeze. That is what causes most of the problems on the roads.

In some countries, like Germany, you have to change your car tyres in winter for winter ones. We don't have to do that here either. Maybe we should.

aye.. and maybe we should attack France through the Ardennes with wave after wave of our mighty Panzers..siek hiel! :D

steeljack 22-12-2009 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 771226)

Word of warning Neil , coming out with suggestions like that you will have all the "little Englanders" out after your blood , :D :D

accyman 22-12-2009 01:31

not really seeing this so called greehouse effect keeping the roads clear i think its about time we got back to leaded fuel and helped it along a little more

Mancie 22-12-2009 01:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 771260)
Word of warning Neil , coming out with suggestions like that you will have all the "little Englanders" out after your blood , :D :D

no such thing as a "little Englander"... we may be small on an atlas but this is Great Britian..and you Yanks should show respect for your Fatherland..:cool:

Neil 22-12-2009 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 771251)
aye.. and maybe we should attack France through the Ardennes with wave after wave of our mighty Panzers..siek hiel! :D

Did they forgot to change to snows tyres? The blitzkrieg might have been faster if they had.

Well at least they learnt by it and changed the law later on. :rolleyes::D

LYNX1 22-12-2009 07:56

Well, I'm glad they haven't got special tyres here, being stuck at home it's a pain with nothing to do........council haven't gritted Burnley Road so it makes a nice change to actually see the cars go past instead of just a blur......:D

Eric 22-12-2009 08:19

Saw pics of all this on CBC ... what a giggle ... weather like that wouldn't even slow down pizza delivery in Kingston. Seriously tho', there is much talk in all of the provinces about making it compulsory to run on winter tires. It is already the law in Quebec. I personally think it's a good idea ... I always run on winter rubber.

Neil 22-12-2009 08:25

I wonder how long before the insurance companies start saying that you did not do everything possible to avoid an accident in the snow because you did not have snow tyres on?

flashy 22-12-2009 09:31

a CSL lorry has been stuck in the snow outside my dads house for the last 2 hours blocking the road in both directions, its his own damn fault for trying to take a shortcut to avoid Intack lights

Neil 22-12-2009 09:59

Looks like someone may not get their new 3 piece by Christmas.

I can't understand cutting those lights. I prefer to wait and not race round a housing estate like an idiot. If it the road I think, first before the lights coming from Ossy, then it should be an access only road.

accyman 22-12-2009 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 771108)

cant have the flood of imigrants slowed down can we lol :rolleyes::D

jaysay 22-12-2009 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 771311)
cant have the flood of imigrants slowed down can we lol :rolleyes::D

My sentiments entirely accyman:D

zacdingle 22-12-2009 11:16

SAT at folkestone waiting for my delivery of satsumas(somolians) you are going without your satsumas & the somalians are going to miss there white xmas.

Gayle 22-12-2009 11:54

We have a deceptively difficult ski slope just outside our house. Seen many people struggling with it this morning, including a van that needed a push to get up.

It's not a big hill but one little bit of it (probably only about 5metres worth) is quite steep and it always gets people.

mez 22-12-2009 12:04

they have been & gritted my avenue this morning ...only a netted van with 2 men doing the job ..........

flashy 22-12-2009 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 771299)
Looks like someone may not get their new 3 piece by Christmas.

I can't understand cutting those lights. I prefer to wait and not race round a housing estate like an idiot. If it the road I think, first before the lights coming from Ossy, then it should be an access only road.

its NOT an estate :rolleyes: the estate is the other side of Whitebirk road

Neil 22-12-2009 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 771331)
its NOT an estate :rolleyes: the estate is the other side of Whitebirk road

So it was not the road I think lol

flashy 22-12-2009 18:18

2 small Avenue's and a Crescent are far from an estate Neil

accyman 22-12-2009 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 771376)
2 small Avenue's and a Crescent are far from an estate Neil

nah your only a few yards from one :D

flashy 23-12-2009 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 771392)
nah your only a few yards from one :D

you've been here hundreds of times J, do i live on an estate?

accyman 23-12-2009 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 771470)
you've been here hundreds of times J, do i live on an estate?

not unless estate is a polite way of saying mental asylum :D

Neil 23-12-2009 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 771473)
not unless estate is a polite way of saying mental asylum :D

Does she have some very thick blown vinyl on the walls? :rolleyes::D

flashy 23-12-2009 08:25

nah Neil, us people on the 'estate' can't afford blown vinyl :D

Neil 23-12-2009 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 771475)
nah Neil, us people on the 'estate' can't afford blown vinyl :D

lol so you must have genuine padded walls then :rolleyes::D

flashy 23-12-2009 08:45

nothing but the best padding for me Neil, my walls are lined with duvets to stop me hurting myself when my head hits the wall

Neil 23-12-2009 09:07

I bet your house is nice and warm. I might try the duvet idea, my house is not very warm today

jaysay 23-12-2009 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 771487)
I bet your house is nice and warm. I might try the duvet idea, my house is not very warm today

Or is it for protection when you fall foul of the wife Neil:D

cashman 23-12-2009 09:28

Whats really Ironic about this lot, is people saying they'd love a White Christmas, probably some of those are now panicking n bitching cos they are struggling to get home fer christmas.:rolleyes::D

jaysay 23-12-2009 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 771493)
Whats really Ironic about this lot, is people saying they'd love a White Christmas, probably some of those are now panicking n bitching cos they are struggling to get home fer christmas.:rolleyes::D

Since I started work back in the sixties cashy I've always said that a White Christmas is only for Christmas cards and nowhere else:D

cashman 24-12-2009 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 771503)
Since I started work back in the sixties cashy I've always said that a White Christmas is only for Christmas cards and nowhere else:D

No wonder there was no gritting in Victorian era.:D

jaysay 24-12-2009 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 771756)
No wonder there was no gritting in Victorian era.:D

Cheeky git:D

Mik Dickinson 25-12-2009 12:58

now as i remember y<ou could do Shoulder of Mutton to the Plough in 4 minutes albeit on yer bum

jaysay 26-12-2009 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson (Post 772047)
now as i remember y<ou could do Shoulder of Mutton to the Plough in 4 minutes albeit on yer bum

quicker if you lift your feet up:D

Mik Dickinson 26-12-2009 10:21

no way mate if you lift up your feet you get to the stop and rest

shillelagh 29-12-2009 17:04

latest update from lancashire county council re the gritting ...

News : Winter gritting update - 29 December 2009

LANCASHIRE County Council’s gritting teams are continuing to work hard to keep the county’s roads clear of snow and ice.

As the freezing conditions continue the county council crews are working solely to keep the ‘main’ roads salted and free of ice and snow. This means resources are being targeted towards salting of all A and B roads as well as other main roads that help keep traffic moving around the county and the policy of not filling grit bins or treating secondary roads will continue for the time being. The council has enough salt to continue to respond to the conditions over the New Year period.

County Councillor Keith Young, Cabinet member for highways and transport, said: “The county council has been well prepared for the winter for some time and our crews have been working all hours to keep the main routes around Lancashire clear.

“We are continuing to receive salt deliveries but it is very important that our engineers ensure we are able to continue gritting during the freezing weather.

“I would like to thank our gritting crews who have been working all hours over Christmas to keep traffic moving.”

Over the next 24 hours the following is planned:

Area South: Salting is planned for high level routes and an inspection of all roads will be carried out later tonight with further salting talking place if necessary.

Area North: All routes have been kept clear and inspections are planned for later tonight and Wednesday morning with further salting talking place if necessary.

Area East: All routes are to be salted this evening.

Neil 29-12-2009 17:09

The M58 was closed between J5 and 4 on Boxing day because it had iced over. Very poor of them that.

Eric 29-12-2009 17:18

:rofl38::rofl38:This is just too funny ....

lancsdave 29-12-2009 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 773229)
County Councillor Keith Young, Cabinet member for highways and transport, said: “The county council has been well prepared for the winter for some time and our crews have been working all hours to keep the main routes around Lancashire clear.

We have winter every year. You don't need to be top of the MENSA tree to work it out !!!!!!!!!!!

MargaretR 29-12-2009 17:46

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 773240)

Your winter lasts 9 months so you have to be better equipped for it.
Meanwhile - take shelter

Eric 29-12-2009 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 773251)
Your winter lasts 9 months so you have to be better equipped for it.
Meanwhile - take shelter

It's a balmy -25 here ... but who cares ... the World Junior Hockey Championships are being played in Saskatchewan (where it is even colder) ... who can feel the cold when Team Canada is rolling over the opposition, beating Latvia 16-0 and Switzerland 6-0:theband:

But seriously, we are better prepared and equipped. We had quite a blow last nite. Temps in the -20s and lots of blowing snow, lake effect stuff. As I was walking ... yes, we don't let a little winter stop us ... home last nite from the bar, the city plows were out on the streets; and the sidewalk plows were keeping things clean for pedestrians. And the weather didn't even make the local news. We have about 20 large plows for the city. They are as big as houses, and you get out of the way when you see them coming. We don't wait for the storm to be over before sending out the plows ... with the first snowflake, the boys are out sanding and plowing.

Eric 29-12-2009 18:50

Just checked out the webcam and it looks like there are quite a few folks out skating on the rink behind City Hall.

Gayle 29-12-2009 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 773286)
Just checked out the webcam and it looks like there are quite a few folks out skating on the rink behind City Hall.

Is that an open air rink? Is it frozen deliberately or naturally?

Eric 29-12-2009 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 773291)
Is that an open air rink? Is it frozen deliberately or naturally?

It is open air ... but it is an artificial ice pad. Because of the proximity of the lake, Kingston weather is kinda unpredictable; so, the city put in this rink so that Kingstonians could skate throughout the winter. There are also natural ice rinks in all city parks ... and because we have had a couple of fairly long cold snaps, lots of people are skating on Lake Ontario. There are quite a few shallow bay areas where it is quite safe. In February, we have a winter festival called Febfest (ugly name, I know) when Kingstonians get out and celebrate the winter. This centres on the City Hall rink. There is an old timers hockey game with lots of former NHL players like Doug Gilmour (ex Toronto Maple Leaf), Kirk Muller (former captain of the Montreal Canadiens), Pete Smith (former Boston Bruin) etc. I do believe that this year, former figure skating champ Elvis Strojko (sic) will be putting on a show. There is also a renenactment of what was probably the first hockey game ... Queen's vs. RMC. And there is live music outside played by cold musicians;), hay rides, etc. great fun:theband: Tough winters are a fact of life here; might as well get out and enjoy it.:mosher:

katex 29-12-2009 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 773234)
The M58 was closed between J5 and 4 on Boxing day because it had iced over. Very poor of them that.

Ok ... salt lowers the melting/freezing point of ice, so distributing salt on the roads means it has to get colder to freeze, but due to the rain fall subsequent to the snow fall, it physically washed all the salt away, meaning when the temperature dropped again ... it froze at a higher temperature ... geddit ?? :D

katex 29-12-2009 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 773240)

Yer starting to **** me off (thesaurus .. annoy me) greatly Eric ... :p:p

Eric 29-12-2009 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 773338)
Yer starting to **** me off (thesaurus .. annoy me) greatly Eric ... :p:p

Now that I know that, I'll try even harder:tongueout:D Bunch of limey wimps:theband: ... How many athletes are you guys sending to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver? ... is Eddie the Eagle still around?:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

katex 29-12-2009 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 773344)
Now that I know that, I'll try even harder:tongueout:D Bunch of limey wimps:theband: ... How many athletes are you guys sending to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver? ... is Eddie the Eagle still around?:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

No, but Torvill and Dean showed you lot how to skate on ice... :p

Eric 29-12-2009 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 773353)
No, but Torvill and Dean showed you lot how to skate on ice... :p

Wimp skating:p It's easy to skate around the rink when no one is trying to maim you:rolleyes::D

They were probably the only two over there who could skate:D Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who can't skate:confused: Kids start as soon as they can walk. We have hockey teams of 8 yr. old girls who could outskate, outshoot, and outhit any team you guys could put on the ice.:D More Canadian girls and women play organised hockey than in the rest of the world put together:mosher:

katex 29-12-2009 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 773357)
Wimp skating:p It's easy to skate around the rink when no one is trying to maim you:rolleyes::D

Not exactly an Olympic sport though Eric .. which is more on track of the discussion.

They were probably the only two over there who could skate:D Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who can't skate:confused: Kids start as soon as they can walk. We have hockey teams of 8 yr. old girls who could outskate, outshoot, and outhit any team you guys could put on the ice.:D More Canadian girls and women play organised hockey than in the rest of the world put together:mosher:

So ? .. bet the Irish could knock us off our feet at curling too.
Gawd .. our kids are injected in the womb with footballs and cricket bats !!

Eric 30-12-2009 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 773361)
So ? .. bet the Irish could knock us off our feet at curling too.
Gawd .. our kids are injected in the womb with footballs and cricket bats !!

This is true. Kids over there know what to do with a football. Kids over here know what to do with a puck. Right now, as we speak, Canada's juniors are leading Slovakia 7-1. These kids are just so talented. Within the next couple of years they will all be millionaires playing in the NHL. I still love watching football, but hockey is ... hockey is Canada.:theband: Right now (9:50 pm) millions of Canadians are watching our juniors beat the ever living crap out of a Slovakian team which is not all that bad; they just can't handle the talent the Canucks have. So far inthe tournament, Canada has outscored the opposition 29-1. And the only reason the Slovaks got a goal was that Canada was two men short on penalties. Those European refs don't understand the finer points of physical hockey.:mad: Anyway, hon, I gotta get back to the game. And I really didn't intend to rattle your cage;):D

jaysay 30-12-2009 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 773344)

Who's in Canada's group in next summers FIFA World Cup in South Africa Eric, it seems to have slipped my mind:rolleyes:

Eric 30-12-2009 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 773414)
Who's in Canada's group in next summers FIFA World Cup in South Africa Eric, it seems to have slipped my mind:rolleyes:

Hey ... we almost made it. And while we are on about it, isn't it about 43 years since England won the World Cup.:rolleyes: Canada doesn't win every international hockey championship ... just most of them.:mosher: Hockey is our game, and we dominate. Football is England's game and ... well ....;):D

andrewb 02-01-2010 10:09

Well Accrington is well and truly covered. Some are abandoning cars on Manchester Road 'cause they can't get up.

The plough has been round though!

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8...g3122tn.th.jpg

Neil 02-01-2010 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 773337)
Ok ... salt lowers the melting/freezing point of ice, so distributing salt on the roads means it has to get colder to freeze, but due to the rain fall subsequent to the snow fall, it physically washed all the salt away, meaning when the temperature dropped again ... it froze at a higher temperature ... geddit ?? :D

You are right except that the water on the road without salt does not freeze at a higher temperature but at its normal temperature

Less 02-01-2010 10:40

Quote:

Capt. L.E.G. Oates: I'm just going outside; I may be away some time.
[as he leaves the tent for certain death]
I'm going to do something similar in a minute, if I don't reach the Railway in half an hour send the ST Bernard out with a Watneys Red barrel around it's neck, (yes, I know it was the worst beer in the world, but that would give me the incentive to try harder for the pub).

accyman 02-01-2010 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 773357)

be rest assure if we ever did take up ice hockey as a legitimate sport we wouldnt use wimpy padding that you candadian and american lot like to add to sports, im surprised full body armour wasnt added to basketball when they adopted netball just liek they did with rugby , rounders and hockey infact thinking about it most of teh top sports over the pond are girls games with extra protection :D

accyman 02-01-2010 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 774439)
Well Accrington is well and truly covered. Some are abandoning cars on Manchester Road 'cause they can't get up.

will be heading up there myself soon thanx for teh info i will be sure to get a good run up lol although if its been dropping the grit as well it shoudl be ok by the time i head that way:D

edit:

how did the guy who drives the snow plough get to work i want whatever he drives lol

Taggy 02-01-2010 13:55

My neighbour has just had to leave his Car halfway up Avenue Parade...certainly no gritter been up here today!

Best Regards - Taggy

lancsdave 04-01-2010 08:37

To add to the ski slopes we now have a massive open air ice rink. All Broadway, the path past Wilkinsons and Peel St are sheet ice.

Eric 04-01-2010 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 774439)

You call that a snowplow :rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:You call that snow.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

It's been snowing steadily, with varying degrees of intensity, for the past two days .... on Saturday we had high winds and temps around -20 (without the windchill) .... the big plows the city runs, along with the sidewalk plows, and hundreds of private contractors with plows on their pickups kept ahead of the storm. By tomorrow, when everyone heads to work, all will be normal. Maybe you folks should learn how to drive.:D

Taggy 04-01-2010 08:46

Its really totally pathetic isnt it!!...I think we need to be told exactly how much grit/salt is ordered/stocked...and why much more cannot be ordered to get things moving better when we get a particularily severe period!!

Surely we should get more stocks in to get people mobile and make things safe...not ration gritting to preserve stocks!....We can find billions of pounds to help bankers, surely a few quid to help us lesser oiks aint asking too much!!....wonder if there's more supplies down south???

Best Regards - Taggy