Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   What ever next (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/what-ever-next-52103.html)

jaysay 04-03-2010 10:51

What ever next

Pupils aged five on hate register: Teachers must log playground taunts for Government database | Mail Online
What ever next, do kids really hate anybody at five,

shillelagh 04-03-2010 11:24

Re: What ever next

my nephews going to hate me when he sees his facebook page ... and he's 21 today .... :D:D:D

MargaretR 04-03-2010 11:58

I was bullied verbally at secondary school - it assumes great proportions when you are young.
I took great delight in reminding that bully of her behavior when we met at a school reunion a few years ago. As a retired head teacher she shrivelled with embarassment :D

When I was doing granny duty collecting my three from primary school, one of my grandsons was afraid due to threats of violence from another boy. I gave him my car keys so that he could lock himself in my car, and went into school to make his teacher aware of the problem.

Little kids can be big bullies

Stop it early before it becomes habitual

Ken Moss 04-03-2010 19:08

I agree with your basic premise, Margaret, but part and parcel of school life is taking a few hard knocks. I hated most of my time in school because I was never one of the popular kids but nobody was immune to being picked on. I don't know one person who looks back fondly on being a pupil more because of the other kids than the teachers and lessons.

When I was at primary school, absolute fear of the fourth form teacher was a superb deterrent. He would wield George the Slipper with neither grace nor gravy if anyone stepped out of line and it certainly made most of us think twice. Sadly, those days are gone.

I fear that being listed on the 'hate register' will come to be viewed as the same high accolade that ASBOs are in certain areas of the community. By the same token, it is also a system open to abuse and false accusations.

Bullying is something that should be nipped in the bud but I'm not convinced that giving teachers even more paperwork so that there can be new statistics and league tables of the best and worst schools is the way.

DaveinGermany 04-03-2010 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 794189)

Dabs, Mug shots & details in a DNA database, you never can tell by the time he's 6 or 7, he'll be inciting riots. Pathetic Kids are Kids & they say things with no inference what so ever. Words like Mong, Pleb & Spaz were often enough bandied around the playgrounds & parks of Britain all through out the 70's & 80's, I presume in the 90's also but not as frequently due to the creeping insidious grip of PCness crawling across the Land.

We had Winners & Losers, non of this pussy attitude everyone's a Winner. They need to learn to take their knocks & disappointments because that's what life is about. They need to be allowed to learn amongst their Peers as to how the game is played, the game of life is cruel & hard. If they can't learn how to handle it now because of these imbecilic rules & regulations imposed on them, they'll grow to be even sorrier Adults.

To what end ? No discipline & determination ! No fighting spirit or understanding of injustice ! How to stand up against it for themselves & the weaker amongst them ! the Noughties Generation will sadly be the poorer for it. I don't think I'd like to be around to see the sorry demise of a once Proud Nation. Will someone please turn out the lights as the darkness descends on our Country.

Margaret Pilkington 04-03-2010 20:48

while I appreciate that bullying is not acceptable, neither is this.
We are rearing children who are going to be unable to cope with any kind of criticism, and the climate they will eventually face once they leave school.
Yes, children can be cruel in their jibes, but then the world is sometimes a cruel place......where are children being taught to build strategies to cope with what life and the world throws at them?

I was taught that bullies can't take being stood up to, and that to stand up to them and face them down was the only way.
I worked with colleagues(Consultants mainly) who thought it was Ok to bully their staff.......to bellow at them for things that they had no control of.
I would not accept this type of treatment......I stood my ground, and gained life experience and also respect from the people who were bullies with others.

I feel that there are other ways of dealing more effectively with this kind of situation, than the ones that are proposed.

We are in a mad mad world.......a world where someone who tortured and killed a child can be allowed out of prison on licence, who can have their identity changed, their anonymity protected, and yet we want to criminalise children for name calling.

Eric 04-03-2010 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 794325)
while I appreciate that bullying is not acceptable, neither is this.
We are rearing children who are going to be unable to cope with any kind of criticism, and the climate they will eventually face once they leave school.
Yes, children can be cruel in their jibes, but then the world is sometimes a cruel place......where are children being taught to build strategies to cope with what life and the world throws at them?

I was taught that bullies can't take being stood up to, and that to stand up to them and face them down was the only way.
I worked with colleagues(Consultants mainly) who thought it was Ok to bully their staff.......to bellow at them for things that they had no control of.
I would not accept this type of treatment......I stood my ground, and gained life experience and also respect from the people who were bullies with others.

I feel that there are other ways of dealing more effectively with this kind of situation, than the ones that are proposed.

We are in a mad mad world.......a world where someone who tortured and killed a child can be allowed out of prison on licence, who can have their identity changed, their anonymity protected, and yet we want to criminalise children for name calling.

Totally agree ... bullies feed on fear ... stand your ground and they could back off ... if they don't, let 'em know they've been in a scrap:mosher: ... they won't be back.

Less 05-03-2010 08:44

Perhaps a lesson could be learnt from the teacher in this little ditty?

YouTube - Kevin Bloody Wilson--The Kid swears a little bit