Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Does HBC have a web-site or not ? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/does-hbc-have-a-web-site-or-not-52758.html)

steeljack 14-04-2010 23:21

Does HBC have a web-site or not ?

I'm a bit confused here .....there have been a lots of mentions in previous posts about lots of money being 'lost' on some failed HBC backed/financed website, is this the same website or an earlier incarnation of the present one that still operates and provides Katex with the info on planning applications and bin collection info or another one ?

garinda 14-04-2010 23:34

Re: Does HBC have a web-site or not ?

Yes Hyndburn Borough Council does have a website.

Hyndburn Borough Council Homepage - Tel: +44 (0) 1254 388 111

The community website, Hyndburn Life, for which H.B.C. received £591,000.00 to set up and run, is now defunct.

Row flares over £591,000 spent on outdated website - Accrington Observer

Costly website a ‘desperate failure’ - Accrington Observer

Bernard Dawson 14-04-2010 23:35

[quote=steeljack;806486]I'm a bit confused here .....there have been a lots of mentions in previous posts about lots of money being 'lost' on some failed HBC backed/financed website, is this the same website or an earlier incarnation of the present one that still operates and provides Katex with the info on planning applications and bin collection info or another one ?

No there are two different websites. The Council has its own website, which deals with things like planning application, bin collection information etc.

The one that had all the money thrown at it was intended to be more of a wider community website. It didn't quite work out like that,but nevertheless that was the intention.

steeljack 15-04-2010 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 806488)

No there are two different websites. The Council has its own website, which deals with things like planning application, bin collection information etc.

The one that had all the money thrown at it was intended to be more of a wider community website. It didn't quite work out like that,but nevertheless that was the intention.

thanks, clears up my confusion

garinda 15-04-2010 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 806488)
No there are two different websites.

Was Bernard, because after years frozen in suspended animation, Hyndburn Life recently disappeared into the ether, and is now defunct.

I just checked to see if there was still a link to prove this, but there isn't.

However I did see this, which makes it appear that the reported £591,000.00 wasted on the site, was an underestimation.

'Hyndburn Life is a major part of a £650,000 Community Web Portal development, designed to give residents and visitors to Hyndburn a unique and distinctive online presence. Viva was called in at the 11th hour after the Portal Development Officer left to take up a different career.'
Viva. PR - Hyndburn Life: Partnership role - Manchester PR Agency

Still, if you're going to blow £591,000.00 of tax payer's hard earned money, what's another fifty nine thousand down the drain?

jaysay 15-04-2010 09:12

[quote=Bernard Dawson;806488]
Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 806486)
I'm a bit confused here .....there have been a lots of mentions in previous posts about lots of money being 'lost' on some failed HBC backed/financed website, is this the same website or an earlier incarnation of the present one that still operates and provides Katex with the info on planning applications and bin collection info or another one ?

Thank God for that, I was begining to think you'd gone missing Bernard, I won't have to report a missing person now:D