Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Who Remembers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/who-remembers-53334.html)

Retlaw 23-05-2010 13:45

Who Remembers

Who remembers the optician in the Accrington Arcade, 20 yards in on the left from the Church St, entrance. Had a gadjet fastened to the inside on the window inviting you to look at it and test your eyes, I think the shop sign said see Kaffin/Caffin and see better.
Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 23-05-2010 14:48

Re: Who Remembers

That would be Duxbury's Opticians methinks.......the only reason that I remember this is because it was my maiden name.......I used to walk through the arcade sometimes on my wy back from Peel Park School(usually when I had spent my bus money on Beech Nut chewing gum:D

Barrie Yates 23-05-2010 20:35

I think MargaretP could well be right, I was only about 12 when I was taken there and obtained glasses, the name rings a bell.

Margaret Pilkington 23-05-2010 20:43

I know it was Duxbury's because the optician had the same initials as my Dad.....J.H.Duxbury.......and I used to think it was strange, and wondered if we could by some chance, be related.

cashman 23-05-2010 22:05

Remember the optitions, but would never have remembered the name, but fer margaretp.:)

Eric 24-05-2010 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 817031)
That would be Duxbury's Opticians methinks.......the only reason that I remember this is because it was my maiden name.......I used to walk through the arcade sometimes on my wy back from Peel Park School(usually when I had spent my bus money on Beech Nut chewing gum:D

So you never figured how to get the gum out of the machine without paying for it:eek::D

jaysay 24-05-2010 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 817123)
So you never figured how to get the gum out of the machine without paying for it:eek::D

Exactly what I was thinking Eric, mind you girls were never as devious as boys, well not in some things that is:D

Margaret Pilkington 24-05-2010 10:13

No...of course I didn't......that would be dishonest.......and I was well brought up despite being poor.

Margaret Pilkington 24-05-2010 10:16

and before you tell me off for spending my bus money on chewing gum........that being dishonest(I guess) I reckoned that the walk from Peel Park to Rileys's Hill was the payment for my crime.
I shared my chewy with my brothers too.

cashman 24-05-2010 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 817164)
and before you tell me off for spending my bus money on chewing gum........that being dishonest(I guess) I reckoned that the walk from Peel Park to Rileys's Hill was the payment for my crime.

was not dishonest, was silly,spent mine on "East Lancs":D

Margaret Pilkington 24-05-2010 13:31

wasn't old enough to buy East Lancs.......though my grandad always let me have the froth off his beer....it tasted 'orrible, but it had some sort of status to it so I didn't refuse.

cashman 24-05-2010 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 817200)
wasn't old enough to buy East Lancs.......though my grandad always let me have the froth off his beer....it tasted 'orrible, but it had some sort of status to it so I didn't refuse.

no excuse, i was walking home from school.so how was i old enough?:D

Margaret Pilkington 24-05-2010 13:35

Told you Cashy....preferred Beech Nut......thought Beer tasted rank.....I like sweet tastes...and that definitely wasn't sweet.

jaysay 24-05-2010 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 817200)

As in the post below neither was cashy:D

SPUGGIE J 24-05-2010 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 817164)

Good exercise as well though. :D