Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Blackberries (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/blackberries-54215.html)

kikine 28-07-2010 14:47

Blackberries

I have today picked my first tub of Blackberries and have a pie waiting to go in the oven, seems early to me. Are they out in Accy? Know there are different varieties but still early by my reckoning and there are loads for the picking.

jaysay 28-07-2010 17:16

Re: Blackberries

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikine (Post 832050)
I have today picked my first tub of Blackberries and have a pie waiting to go in the oven, seems early to me. Are they out in Accy? Know there are different varieties but still early by my reckoning and there are loads for the picking.

Ain't had blackberry pie for years kikine, making my mouth water thinking of them

kestrelx 29-07-2010 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikine (Post 832050)

They are out down here in some places had a few off the branch - they are great as a drink also with fresh cream/ice cream and a few hobnobs.

Eric 29-07-2010 01:35

Oh ... those blackerries:eek:

accyman 29-07-2010 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 832167)
Oh ... those blackerries:eek:

yeah i thought kikine had got a new phone as well lol

kikine 29-07-2010 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 832195)
yeah i thought kikine had got a new phone as well lol

Gosh am thick!!!! you had me there for a minute..... or two

flashy 29-07-2010 15:21

saw a few on one of the hedges here yesterday, we are gonna have a wander on the canal at Church tomorrow and try and pick some, we got loads last year, made quite a few pies out of them, there is nothing more satisfying than foriging (sp?)

you can also freeze them too

kikine 29-07-2010 16:08

I agree with the foraging and the mushroom season is almost with us also. I usually freeze them when we are sick of pies and crumbles.

made wine last year but found it messy and a lot of effort for not a lot of wine!

Restless 29-07-2010 23:22

mmmmm this reminds me of winbery pies(or whatever they are called)

and there was me thinking this thread was going to be about mobile phones :)

cashman 29-07-2010 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 832071)
Ain't had blackberry pie for years kikine, making my mouth water thinking of them

Nah mate, its just ya slavver a lot.:D

Ken Moss 30-07-2010 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 832431)
mmmmm this reminds me of winbery pies(or whatever they are called)

and there was me thinking this thread was going to be about mobile phones :)

Winberry pies are made with bilberries, more usually blackcurrants these days, and delicious with a pot of tea.

Funnily enough I picked a blackberry off our bush yesterday and it's not quite ripe. I make flavoured gin with mine, or jam if I'm feeling creative and have the time.

jaysay 30-07-2010 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 832434)
Nah mate, its just ya slavver a lot.:D

Will you stop telling all my secrets on here cashy:D

MargaretR 30-07-2010 09:12

I remember whinberries - mum made loads of whinberry pies in the 40s.
Rationing was on then, so they must have been harvested locally from the wild.
I have googled - they are a smaller cousin of the blueberry - a 'single berry', not a 'cluster' as blackberrys are.
....so they must be growing wild around here

shillelagh 30-07-2010 10:03

Saw some whinberry's for sale the other day when i was down accy they were from poland ... £3.99 for the basket ...

when i was a kid used to go whinberry picking up over black moss ... it was one way for my mum to get rid of us ... she'd give us a couple of plastic bags ... and we'd spend a few hours up there .. picking the whinberries .. one bag we wouldnt touch .. the other we'd eat them on our way down ... then mum would make the pie and we'd have it after tea ... thing is though the best pickings are now under the highway in the sky .. :rolleyes:

Restless 31-07-2010 10:33

I agree awesome with tea.

You don't see many of them about these days not that im old enough to testify them being around more in the past :D
I think there is a place in market hall where you can still get em

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 832477)
Winberry pies are made with bilberries, more usually blackcurrants these days, and delicious with a pot of tea.

Funnily enough I picked a blackberry off our bush yesterday and it's not quite ripe. I make flavoured gin with mine, or jam if I'm feeling creative and have the time.