Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Sir Cyril Smith (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/sir-cyril-smith-54757.html)

gynn 03-09-2010 15:46

Sir Cyril Smith

Hands up all those people, who, like me, thought he died years ago. He has been absent from the political stage for many years.

garinda 03-09-2010 15:53

Re: Sir Cyril Smith

At eighty two, he was surely the poster boy for the Unhealthy Living campaign.

cashman 03-09-2010 16:36

well wouldn't fancy being a pall bearer.:eek:

jaysay 03-09-2010 17:37

Was a proper MP RIP Cyril

Stumped 03-09-2010 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 842651)
Was a proper MP RIP Cyril

A larger than life character who wasn't afraid to speak the truth when it mattered - not like today's nonentities!

cashman 03-09-2010 18:07

Thats the thing he'll be remembered fer, he told it as he saw it, not as the party line, unless it happened to be the same. n thats why he never progressed to the big league! so much as folk would like all of the same ilk, it'll never happen. never voted liberal in me life, but the guys one of the very few i respected.

Barrie Yates 03-09-2010 18:34

Once travelled in the same dining car - M/C to London, having breakfast. Could not believe my eyes. The standard breakfast was pretty big and in '79 I was a big eater but couldn't clear the plate. He had extra portions and then asked for and ate, a full second breakfast - with additional fried potatoes. My travelling companion threw up, said he had a weak stomach, but he threw the contents a fair distance.

MargaretR 03-09-2010 18:49

Nice chap - but whenever I saw him I was reminded of that gut rentching scene in Monty Python's Meaning of life. I had to leave the auditorium in case the sound of MY retching disturbed others.

He was 'light' on most of the seven deadly sins, but made up for it with gluttony (which is far better than financial greed)

grannyclaret 03-09-2010 22:30

I liked Cyril.He was so down to earth and He thought the world of his mum,,,,

spignific 03-09-2010 22:55

Most would consider a place like Rochdale a real labour place yet they voted cyril in for years,thats says it all about how they loved him and the mp he was.
I have to say if he had been an MP recently the press would have ripped him to shreads for being so fat.
RIP PEACE CYRIL

garinda 04-09-2010 07:33

'Cyril Smith NEVER sued.'

Rochdale's Alternative Website: Cyril Smith sex abuse allegations – lessons from Ireland?

Tealeaf 04-09-2010 08:41

Cyril Smith was no more than a self-publicising fatman who was only elected on the basis that he was a freak of nature. The people of Rochdale should be ashamed of themselves for having continually returned this fool to Westminister. His contibution to British politics was zero. He certainly won't be missed.

grannyclaret 04-09-2010 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 842705)
Cyril Smith was no more than a self-publicising fatman who was only elected on the basis that he was a freak of nature. The people of Rochdale should be ashamed of themselves for having continually returned this fool to Westminister. His contibution to British politics was zero. He certainly won't be missed.

speak for yourself,,,he was a lovely man,,,and what as size got to do with the price of fish,,,:mad:,

jaysay 04-09-2010 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret (Post 842746)
speak for yourself,,,he was a lovely man,,,and what as size got to do with the price of fish,,,:mad:,

Fish is dear these days GC;)

Aussie Irene 12-04-2014 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret (Post 842746)

Just been reading on Mail on line. I will use three words to describe him if the article is true
Disgusting Fat Slob.
He makes Saville and the rest appear like angels.