Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   MPs salary & expenses (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/mps-salary-and-expenses-55695.html)

yerself 16-11-2010 10:22

MPs salary & expenses

Poor lad, seems he can't manage on his £65,000pa salary as an MP. Is he, as one comment on this article suggests, a back slapping class traitor?

East Lancashire MP requests an allowance for council work (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Benipete 16-11-2010 10:40

Re: MPs salary & expenses

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 861848)
Poor lad, seems he can't manage on his £65,000pa salary as an MP. Is he, as one comment on this article suggests, a back slapping class traitor?

East Lancashire MP requests an allowance for council work (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Can I request an adjournment, while I make some sandwiches and put a flask up? :hehetable

Neil 16-11-2010 11:07

Quote:

It comes after Coun Peter Britcliffe requested the details under the Freedom of Information Act.
Looks like PB has taken a leaf out of Ken's book :D

Ken Moss 16-11-2010 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 861854)
Looks like PB has taken a leaf out of Ken's book :D

The same PB that asked for parachute payments for failed councillors then changed the minutes?

Peter earns around half of what Graham does but he doesn't hold weekly surgeries or do as much travelling, doesn't have to spend four nights a week away from his family and his cost of living won't be anywhere near that of an MP in London.

Smiling for the Observer five times a week and handing out cheques is a touch easier, I'd say.

Bernard Dawson 16-11-2010 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 861878)
The same PB that asked for parachute payments for failed councillors then changed the minutes?

Peter earns around half of what Graham does but he doesn't hold weekly surgeries or do as much travelling, doesn't have to spend four nights a week away from his family and his cost of living won't be anywhere near that of an MP in London.

Smiling for the Observer five times a week and handing out cheques is a touch easier, I'd say.

Parachute payment Ken, what's all this about?

Ken Moss 16-11-2010 14:16

Funnily enough the Observer doesn't appear to have put it online, Bernard.

However, last week's edition ran a story on page 17 about the Leader's Policy Development meeting on September 22nd. The original version of the minutes stated that the Leader had asked for parachute payments to be considered for Mayors, Leaders or Executives to recognise their short-term financial hardships on losing their positions.

The online minutes can be found here:

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ins_220910.pdf

Point 5 is where you need to be looking, although they don't look very revised to me.

jaysay 16-11-2010 18:03

Although I have a lot of respect for Graham as our MP, I have never understood why he retained his County Council seat whilst serving in Parliament, I maybe wrong but I would think there are very few who have retained both posts in the past, to my way of thinking if your a member of parliament that job should take all your time and not be sidetracked with other issues

JCB 16-11-2010 18:27

Petty local party politics are at work again .

The people of Hyndburn deserve better .

Ken Moss 16-11-2010 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 861970)
Petty local party politics are at work again .

The people of Hyndburn deserve better .

People are asking, rightly or wrongly, about how their own money is being spent by a politician in a political thread.

Avoid it if it offends you.

andrewb 16-11-2010 18:42

Quote:

Graham should get up to £1,450 a month for somewhere to live in London. As far as I'm aware Peter doesn't get that.

jaysay 16-11-2010 18:42

Quote:

But ain't that the reason Graham wanted to be an MP travelling, staying away from home representing the people of Hyndburn and being paid accordingly

yerself 16-11-2010 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay
Although I have a lot of respect for Graham as our MP, I have never understood why he retained his County Council seat whilst serving in Parliament, I maybe wrong but I would think there are very few who have retained both posts in the past, to my way of thinking if your a member of parliament that job should take all your time and not be sidetracked with other issues

Agreed. I would have thought being a member of parliament to be a full time job. By attempting to do two jobs is Mr. Jones not in danger of neglecting or not devoting enough time and effort to either one or both positions?
It would appear our honourable member is becoming sensitive. He has replied to one of the comments in the Telegraph objecting to the names he has been called. Is this the same Mr.Jones who once referred to local conservatives as a 'shower of shi**' on this very site?

Ken Moss 16-11-2010 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 861990)
But ain't that the reason Graham wanted to be an MP travelling, staying away from home representing the people of Hyndburn and being paid accordingly

Yes, but even the commuting sounds like damned hard work before he even does a stroke.

He also gives up most of his spare time at weekends once he is back in Hyndburn, whereas the Leader of the Council seems to clock off at 5pm. He phones us regularly to give us updates and advice when required and also gets involved in ward matters when we need some extra help. He holds surgeries more or less every week and has never to my knowledge got tetchy through working exceptionally long hours.

In short, he earns every penny that he gets.

garinda 16-11-2010 18:57

'The remainder would go to good causes.'

Please God, no more crocheted caterpllars in Accrington, we have enough!

Keep it!

Spend it!

Spend it on anything.

Spend it on drink and floosies.

Just no more good causes, if they're made of wool.

Ken Moss 16-11-2010 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 861988)
Graham should get up to £1,450 a month for somewhere to live in London. As far as I'm aware Peter doesn't get that.

No, and perhaps as well. It wouldn't cover 9 days for the Leader of this Council:

Council makes a meal of rises - Accrington Observer

Graham must be roughing it by Britcliffe standards.