Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Radio Lancashire ... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/radio-lancashire-56576.html)

shillelagh 26-01-2011 08:26

Radio Lancashire ...

Its 40 years old today ... it started broadcasting at midday on 26th Jan 1971 ... as radio blackburn ... and changed over to radio lancs in the 80s

how many others have been on there .. besides me ...:D

Ken Moss 26-01-2011 08:33

Re: Radio Lancashire ...

Couple of times in 2005 and 2006 to promote and review the new series of Doctor Who and then again in 2010 to ask for volunteers to record interviews for a history archive in Rishton.

Not many people seem to listen to it but there's a lot of interesting material on throughout the day.

jaysay 26-01-2011 08:47

I did an interview with Joe Wilson back in 1991 when I launched the Hyndburn Branch of the National Asthma Campaign (now Asthma UK)

Neil 26-01-2011 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 878193)
Not many people seem to listen to it but there's a lot of interesting material on throughout the day.

That's because its rubbish Ken, to much talking and not enough music, I know I am older than you but I am not old enough to listen to that rubbish just yet :D

Come to think of it if I do start listening to it will someone please kill me slowly and painfully.

I listen to Real Radio in the car and Absolute 80's at home

Ken Moss 26-01-2011 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 878205)
That's because its rubbish Ken, to much talking and not enough music, I know I am older than you but I am not old enough to listen to that rubbish just yet :D

Come to think of it if I do start listening to it will someone please kill me slowly and painfully.

You miserable old sod!!!

You could say the same about Radio 4 or Radio 7, that's not what it's about. It's an alternative for people who don't particularly want just music from their radio station and there are already plenty that cater for those tastes. I used to listen to Tony Livesey in a morning while I was in the kitchen and there were some decent articles from around the county on local topics and history.

I'll level with you, I do Radio Lancashire sometimes. I can handle it.

MargaretR 26-01-2011 09:20

I rarely listen to Radio Lancashire. I find there is too much music (and awful music at that!) I listen to Radio4 where music is rare. When I want music I listen to my own collection.

Neil 26-01-2011 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 878213)
You could say the same about Radio 4 or Radio 7......

Something else that's a waste of license fee :rolleyes::D

Ken Moss 26-01-2011 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 878221)
Something else that's a waste of license fee :rolleyes::D

BEGONE, HERETIC!!

The Archers and Desert Island Discs gets me through my tedious bookwork on a Sunday morning!

jaysay 26-01-2011 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 878205)

Its quite okay with me Niel I never listen to the radio anyway:D:D

jaysay 26-01-2011 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 878225)
BEGONE, HERETIC!!

The Archers and Desert Island Discs gets me through my tedious bookwork on a Sunday morning!

Ya sad git:D:D:D

DaveinGermany 26-01-2011 10:39

Aye used to play it over the laptop when I worked with the Yorks ! Ah to see their smiley faces of a morn ! :D Usually accompanied with a gratuitous dollop of abuse in referral to my heritage & parentage, happy days ! :s_aim1:

jaysay 26-01-2011 10:44

Its 40 years today since Radio Lancashire started and its 33 years today since I gave over smoking:dancedog:

Bob Dobson 26-01-2011 14:16

I appeared on a discussion programme in Radio Blackburn's very early days when the studio was in King St. The boss man was called Norman Turner and I was interviewed by a young Gerald Jackson. My abiding memory though, is the smell of boiling bones which pervaded the air outside the studio.It came from a factory across the road.

There are some programmes and aspects that I don't like, but all told they get the balance right. One of my favourites is a Monday & Tuesday evening programmne of nostalgic records introduced by the aforementioned Gerald Jackson.

Ken Moss 26-01-2011 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 878265)
I appeared on a discussion programme in Radio Blackburn's very early days when the studio was in King St. The boss man was called Norman Turner and I was interviewed by a young Gerald Jackson. My abiding memory though, is the smell of boiling bones which pervaded the air outside the studio.It came from a factory across the road.

There are some programmes and aspects that I don't like, but all told they get the balance right. One of my favourites is a Monday & Tuesday evening programmne of nostalgic records introduced by the aforementioned Gerald Jackson.

Gerald is a lovely bloke and presented me with the full series of The Century Speaks last year which is something you would probably find very interesting, Bob. It's 16 half hour episodes featuring interviews on all things Lancashire in times gone by.

Wynonie Harris 26-01-2011 14:39

Did my work placement from college there in the summer of '71. Worked with Gerry Jackson who even let me do a little bit of announcing. I spent a lot of time editing programmes which involved listening to the tapes on headphones, then cutting the unwanted bits out with a scalpel and joining the rest of it back together with some sort of adhesive tape. Nothing digital in those days! :D

Ken Moss 26-01-2011 14:56

Thankfully, those days are long gone.

It's been years since I used my splicer but half an hour of material used to take the best part of a day to edit, I can do it now in just over an hour.

Less 26-01-2011 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 878271)
Thankfully, those days are long gone.

It's been years since I used my splicer but half an hour of material used to take the best part of a day to edit, I can do it now in just over an hour.

Quicker than that:-
Delete button
Are you sure? Yes/No?
Yes

Editing done!

Bernard Dawson 26-01-2011 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 878218)
I rarely listen to Radio Lancashire. I find there is too much music (and awful music at that!) I listen to Radio4 where music is rare. When I want music I listen to my own collection.

I agree with you Margaret.Radio4 is the only radio station I listen too as well.

walkinman221 26-01-2011 16:44

:eek:Once had Sally nadin on my digger live:eek:

jaysay 26-01-2011 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 878283)
:eek:Once had Sally nadin on my digger live:eek:

Explain Sir:D or matbe it should transfer to the over 18s:D

walkinman221 26-01-2011 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 878303)
Explain Sir:D or matbe it should transfer to the over 18s:D

Thats your overactive imagination jay, its all very innocent i was driving a digger on a building project in Blackburn and Radio Lancs came out to see us and Sally came and sat on the machine and had a go, sorry to disappoint you.:D

MargaretR 26-01-2011 17:52

She is the presenter that giggles - it used to annoy me on the rare occasions I tuned in.
She was one of the people who was 'supporting cast' at that Germaine Greer appearance at the Town Hall last year. She didn't giggle then and her lecture was reasonably interesting, but I still don't want to listen to her on a regular basis.

walkinman221 26-01-2011 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 878312)
She is the presenter that giggles - it used to annoy me on the rare occasions I tuned in.
She was one of the people who was 'supporting cast' at that Germaine Greer appearance at the Town Hall last year. She didn't giggle then and her lecture was reasonably interesting, but I still don't want to listen to her on a regular basis.

Not much use at driving a digger either:D

jaysay 27-01-2011 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 878309)
That's your overactive imagination jay, its all very innocent i was driving a digger on a building project in Blackburn and Radio Lancs came out to see us and Sally came and sat on the machine and had a go, sorry to disappoint you.:D

Shucks thought it was going to get interesting:D:D:D

jaysay 27-01-2011 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 878313)
Not much use at driving a digger either:D

Ya but what were her other attributes:D

hedman2003 27-01-2011 18:43

Always wake up to Radio Lancs to catch up on the local news and sport. I think for local radis it offers excellent broadcasting amd although I do listen to other stations ie talksport and 5 live mainly I think Radio Lancs has served the County well for 40 years.

Clearly remember a 13th birthday dedication read out by Gerald Jackson just as i got home from school.

Our highlight was 3 years ago when Tony Livesey did his breakfast show from our house, it was awesome being chosen to host am event we will never forget.

congrats Radio Lancs

jaysay 28-01-2011 09:43

To be quite honest the only time I ever really listened to Radio Lancs was when I was in hospital, but now with the introduction of bedside TV i have never bothered on the last couple of times I've been in

JCB 28-01-2011 18:48

As Radio Blackburn , there used to be a programme perhaps not unlike Accy Web . It was called Phone Forum and was broadcast about 6pm each day .

All the local crackpots used to phone in .

Bernard Dawson 28-01-2011 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 878706)
As Radio Blackburn , there used to be a programme perhaps not unlike Accy Web . It was called Phone Forum and was broadcast about 6pm each day .

Was that the one with Fletcher Richardson.

JCB 28-01-2011 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 878710)
Was that the one with Fletcher Richardson.

I don't know but a Mr O'Rourke was a regular contributor , and a man from Blackburn who was prominent in the party that was equivalent to the present-day BNP . I think he got on Blackburn Council once , but I am not sure of it .

Fletcher Richarson certainly rings a bell .

Bernard Dawson 28-01-2011 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 878735)
I don't know but a Mr O'Rourke was a regular contributor , and a man from Blackburn who was prominent in the party that was equivalent to the present-day BNP . I think he got on Blackburn Council once , but I am not sure of it .

Fletcher Richarson certainly rings a bell .

That's the one. Frank O'Rourke was always on. John Kingsley Read was the man from Blackburn.

garinda 28-01-2011 19:42

Quote:

Did they have speed-dial in the seventies?

jaysay 29-01-2011 09:47

Quote:

As Radio Blackburn , there used to be a programme perhaps not unlike Accyweb . It was called Phone Forum and was broadcast about 6pm each day .

There was even a better one on at 11pm with Alan Beswick, now there were some real fruit cakes came on the program, in fact Beswick was eventually bared for the way he talked to some of the prats who phoned in;)

jaysay 29-01-2011 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 878739)
That's the one. Frank O'Rourke was always on. John Kingsley Read was the man from Blackburn.

Good grief Bernard, Frank O'Rourke leader of the Oswaldtwistle Communist Party, those were the days.