Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Council Tax Collection Rates (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/council-tax-collection-rates-56873.html)

gynn 18-02-2011 08:44

Council Tax Collection Rates

There has been much discussion on Breakfast TV this morning about the money Councils are missing out on in uncollected Council Tax.

BBC News - Councils 'missed' £530m in taxes

So how are Hyndburn doing? According to statistics from the Government's web site, here in descending order of success, are the percentages of Council Tax collected by Lancashire Councils in 2010:-

Ribble Valley 99.0 Chorley 98.4 West Lancashire 98.1 Wyre 97.9 South Ribble 97.7 Fylde 97.5 Rossendale 97.5 Lancaster 97.1 Blackburn with Darwen 97.0 Pendle 96.4 Burnley 96.1 Preston 96.0 Hyndburn 95.4 Blackpool 94.4 Lancashire Average 97.0

Only Blackpool, with its notoriously transient population, performed worse.

In cash terms, Hyndburn has missed out on 1.3 million pounds. If it had performed at the Lancashire average, it would have collected a further 466,000 pounds.

Excellent?

Neil 18-02-2011 08:56

Re: Council Tax Collection Rates

That is poor. Is that £1.3 million Hyndburn part of the Council tax or the overall ammount before being split up between LCC HBC and wherever else?

garinda 18-02-2011 09:05

Doesn't look too good.

Not for what we're told is an 'excellent' council.

gynn 18-02-2011 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 884554)
That is poor. Is that £1.3 million Hyndburn part of the Council tax or the overall ammount before being split up between LCC HBC and wherever else?

Its the overall amount, but the County will only accept a certain level of non collection. Anything above that becomes HBC's responsibility.

garinda 18-02-2011 09:29

It would be very interesting to see a break down of the uncollected figure.

Is it mainly from empty properties?

Or just people refusing to pay?

In which case why aren't they being taken to court?

gynn 18-02-2011 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884577)
It would be very interesting to see a break down of the uncollected figure.

Is it mainly from empty properties?

Or just people refusing to pay?

In which case why aren't they being taken to court?

If a property is empty, the owner should have told the Council, and it wouldn't be included in the total. And of course, council tax becomes chargeable on empty properties after 6 months anyway.

The vast bulk of the uncollected figure is from people who can't or won't pay.

garinda 18-02-2011 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 884585)
If a property is empty, the owner should have told the Council, and it wouldn't be included in the total. And of course, council tax becomes chargeable on empty properties after 6 months anyway.

I thought if a property is empty, although there's a tax free period, it is still liable for council tax, albeit at a reduced rate, after that.

Since we're told there are 2,000 empty properties in the borough, I just wondered if the two things were related.

gynn 18-02-2011 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884588)
I thought if a property is empty, although there's a tax free period, it is still liable for council tax, albeit at a reduced rate, after that.

Since we're told there are 2,000 empty properties in the borough, I just wondered if the two things were related.

If the Council's records are up to date, that figure for uncollected rates will include a minimal figure for empty properties.

garinda 18-02-2011 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 884592)
If the Council's records are up to date, that figure for uncollected rates will include a minimal figure for empty properties.

Properties which may be exempt include:
  • property which is empty. This means it has to be unoccupied. The property also has to be substantially unfurnished. The exemption applies for a maximum of six months and the property has to be vacant for the whole of this period (although up to six weeks of occupation during the period is allowed)
  • property which is vacant because it needs major repairs or alterations to make it habitable. The exemption applies for a maximum of 12 months whether the work is actually finished or not by then
  • Council tax
If there are 2,000 empty properties than should be liable for council tax, it could explain why HBC is near the bottom of the uncollected table.

Who owns the majority of these properties? Private, or social landlords?

Bernard Dawson 18-02-2011 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 884552)
There has been much discussion on Breakfast TV this morning about the money Councils are missing out on in uncollected Council Tax.

BBC News - Councils 'missed' £530m in taxes

So how are Hyndburn doing? According to statistics from the Government's web site, here in descending order of success, are the percentages of Council Tax collected by Lancashire Councils in 2010:-

Ribble Valley 99.0 Chorley 98.4 West Lancashire 98.1 Wyre 97.9 South Ribble 97.7 Fylde 97.5 Rossendale 97.5 Lancaster 97.1 Blackburn with Darwen 97.0 Pendle 96.4 Burnley 96.1 Preston 96.0 Hyndburn 95.4 Blackpool 94.4 Lancashire Average 97.0

Only Blackpool, with its notoriously transient population, performed worse.

In cash terms, Hyndburn has missed out on 1.3 million pounds. If it had performed at the Lancashire average, it would have collected a further 466,000 pounds.

Excellent?

Even Rossendale are performing better. Wouldn't have happened in your day.

garinda 18-02-2011 09:55

Presumably the figure includes money from business rates, from commercial properties in the borough, as well as residential council tax?

gynn 18-02-2011 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884595)
Presumably the figure includes money from business rates, from commercial properties in the borough, as well as residential council tax?

No, business rates are separate.

garinda 18-02-2011 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 884602)

Ok. So this non-collection figure just relates to residential property.

Then why aren't we reading lists of prosecutions, every weeekend in the Observer, like we do for those who don't buy a television licences, or drive without insurance or road tax?

Some councils send little old ladies to prison, for not paying their full council tax bills, after holding some back, in protest about something or other.

jaysay 18-02-2011 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 884585)

Think can't pay is not an option gynn, those who genuinely can't pay are entitled to CTB;)

shillelagh 18-02-2011 13:34

not surprised bernard ... rossendale come after you even when you've paid it ...:p

Less 18-02-2011 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 884655)
not surprised bernard ... rossendale come after you even when you've paid it ...:p

Yes, so do our's I know someone paid twice in one month to keep in front, got the nasty letters because somehow extra payment doesn't seem to show up.

lindsay ormerod 18-02-2011 14:54

Interesting that both Blackburn with Darwen and Rossendale have their council tax administered by Capita and the collection rate is better, something to do with the no nonsense approach I feel, you don't get many opportunities to get away with it before the bailiffs are sent out.

steeljack 19-02-2011 04:34

when my Dad died the sale of his house was 'handled' by a local solicitor and local estate agent , two years/18 months later when the sale went through after the selling price had been droped a few times , property taxes were deducted from the final settlement.
Was quite an eye-opener to see six months later on the Accrington Observer property website that a property I had sold for £ 7000 (less £3000 legal fees/property taxes/agents fees) selling for £60K plus .

If anyone wants to know the names of the local Gt. Harwood sleazeballs (Solicitors) involved, feel free to PM me :rolleyes:

garinda 19-02-2011 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 884891)
when my Dad died the sale of his house was 'handled' by a local solicitor and local estate agent , two years/18 months later when the sale went through after the selling price had been droped a few times , property taxes were deducted from the final settlement.
Was quite an eye-opener to see six months later on the Accrington Observer property website that a property I had sold for £ 7000 (less £3000 legal fees/property taxes/agents fees) selling for £60K plus .

If anyone wants to know the names of the local Gt. Harwood sleazeballs (Solicitors) involved, feel free to PM me :rolleyes:

When did they sell your dad's house for you?

It does sound like you were ripped off.

Whatever they sold if for, only getting less than fifty percent sounds iffy.

Prices did go crazy locally, around seven years ago.

When I bought my house, I paid more than double than the owner had paid, eighteen months earlier.

This was 2004.

jaysay 19-02-2011 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884928)

When I bought my house, I paid more than double than the owner had paid, eighteen months earlier.

This was 2004.

My Father died in 2003 and his was sold sold, two years later it was back on the marked at double the price (they had done some refurbishing) but just around that time prices seemed to be going daft

garinda 19-02-2011 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 884936)
My Father died in 2003 and his was sold sold, two years later it was back on the marked at double the price (they had done some refurbishing) but just around that time prices seemed to be going daft

You should be paying a few percent of the selling price to the estate agent, and up to two grand maximum in legal fees.

steeljack 19-02-2011 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884928)

This was 2004.

I accepted I was ripped off but being 6000 miles away not much I could do about it at the time , had to write it off as just another example of the way the British 'establishment' works, kind of explains/reinforces my cynical view of any 'legitimate' political/legal system ... think anarchy is the way forward ... lock and load ...:D :D

garinda 19-02-2011 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 884944)
I accepted I was ripped off but being 6000 miles away not much I could do about it at the time , had to write it off as just another example of the way the British 'establishment' works, kind of explains/reinforces my cynical view of any 'legitimate' political/legal system ... think anarchy is the way forward ... lock and load ...:D :D

I wasn't blaming you. As you say, difficult to arrange when you're so far away.

Just seems a massive percent of the sale.

Like most of us, I'm sure your dad would want the money go to loved ones, rather than into the pockets of estate agents, and soliciters.

steeljack 19-02-2011 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884947)
rather than into the pockets of estate agents, and soliciters.

Yep, that was why I said if you want to know the name of the Gt. Harwood solicitor sleaziods PM me , don't want any legal problems for defamation. ;)

garinda 19-02-2011 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 884954)
Yep, that was why I said if you want to know the name of the Gt. Harwood solicitor sleaziods PM me , don't want any legal problems for defamation. ;)

Thinking about it, it should be around two grand in fees if you're buying.

Last time I sold a property l paid £750.00 in legal fees.

If you'd paid two percent to the estate agents, and let's say a thousand quid to the soliciters, you should have had £5,860.00, rather than three thousand.

Does sound dodgy.

I'd want evidence they did sell it for seven thousand...and not more, and pocketed the difference.

jaysay 19-02-2011 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884939)
You should be paying a few percent of the selling price to the estate agent, and up to two grand maximum in legal fees.

I forget what fees we paid G. was don't in conjunction with the solicitor, who seemed to do a very fair job, in every respect at finalising my fathers estate

garinda 19-02-2011 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 884959)
I forget what fees we paid G. was don't in conjunction with the solicitor, who seemed to do a very fair job, in every respect at finalising my fathers estate

It does sound like they took advantage, of someone living so far away.

Which is disgusting.

steeljack 19-02-2011 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884961)

Which is disgusting.

Similar thing happened to my ex wife 5 years later when her Dad passed away on Lina St. , she lives in Germany and she left things in the hands of a local (Accrington) solicitor , we checked the Observer property prices 6 months later, same thing the latest transaction price had doubled .

jaysay 19-02-2011 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884961)

Which is disgusting.

Ya think it makes a difference when your talking accross a desk and not the Atlantic Ocean;)

garinda 19-02-2011 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 884967)
Similar thing happened to my ex wife 5 years later when her Dad passed away on Lina St. , she lives in Germany and she left things in the hands of a local (Accrington) solicitor , we checked the Observer property prices 6 months later, same thing the latest transaction price had doubled .

Prices doubling was just unfortunate. It did happen. Literally in a matter of months.

Paying such a large percentage in various fees sounds dodgy.

lancsdave 19-02-2011 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 884957)
I'd want evidence they did sell it for seven thousand

I don't think that would be a problem, it's who they sold it too I'd be checking. Not unknown for them to arrange to sell to family or friends and 'sort' it out later

garinda 19-02-2011 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 885019)
I don't think that would be a problem, it's who they sold it too I'd be checking. Not unknown for them to arrange to sell to family or friends and 'sort' it out later

That's the sorty of dodgy dealing I was referring to.

Although they wouldn't necessarily know prices would go through the roof, property prices very rarely fall, in the long term.

I'd name them.

No harm in that.

If that's what they actually did, they can't sue.

garinda 23-02-2011 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 884602)

Since you're ever so helpful, coming up with figures, and the quoted collection rate only relates to residential property, what's the equivalent collection rate on business properties in Hyndburn?

Surely it must also have been collated?

It would be interesting to compare the collection rates of both.

gynn 23-02-2011 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 886567)
what's the equivalent collection rate on business properties in Hyndburn?

Do you really want to know? Might put you off your cornflakes.

Okay, here we go.

Lancaster 99.1 Preston 98.4 Burnley 98.4 Blackburn with Darwen 98.1 Ribble Valley 97.8 South Ribble 97.8 West Lancashire 97.8 Wyre 97.8 Rossendale 97.7 Fylde 97.5 Chorley 97.4 Pendle 97.2 Blackpool 95.0 Hyndburn 93.1 Lancashire Average 97.4

I'm afraid it makes sorry reading. Hyndburn performs nearly 2% worse than any other Lancashire district. In cash terms that is around 390,000 pounds below average.

The only consolation (:o) is that Hyndburn passes the cost of that appalling performance on to the government, and doesnt suffer any cash losses in the money it gets back.

gynn 24-02-2011 06:16

Correction. It is 390,000 pounds below the next worst performing authority. It is over 800,000 pounds worse than the Lancashire average.

garinda 24-02-2011 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 886636)
Correction. It is 390,000 pounds below the next worst performing authority. It is over 800,000 pounds worse than the Lancashire average.

Thank you, and yes it does make depressing reading.

I'd hardly label this as 'excellent'.

What were we saying about saving pennies and pounds?

jaysay 24-02-2011 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 886652)
Thank you, and yes it does make depressing reading.

I'd hardly label this as 'excellent'.

What were we saying about saving pennies and pounds?

Don't worry G our Ken will have the rate up to 106% by next august;)

cashman 24-02-2011 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 886666)
Don't worry G our Ken will have the rate up to 106% by next august;)

thing is,any improvement is goin the right way, or do yeh think its fine as is?;)

Bernard Dawson 24-02-2011 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 886629)
Do you really want to know? Might put you off your cornflakes.

Okay, here we go.

Lancaster 99.1 Preston 98.4 Burnley 98.4 Blackburn with Darwen 98.1 Ribble Valley 97.8 South Ribble 97.8 West Lancashire 97.8 Wyre 97.8 Rossendale 97.7 Fylde 97.5 Chorley 97.4 Pendle 97.2 Blackpool 95.0 Hyndburn 93.1 Lancashire Average 97.4

I'm afraid it makes sorry reading. Hyndburn performs nearly 2% worse than any other Lancashire district. In cash terms that is around 390,000 pounds below average.

The only consolation (:o) is that Hyndburn passes the cost of that appalling performance on to the government, and doesnt suffer any cash losses in the money it gets back.

I hadn't realised we were performing that badly. There's no reason really why we should be performing worse than our neighbouring authorities is there.

garinda 24-02-2011 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 886689)
I hadn't realised we were performing that badly. There's no reason really why we should be performing worse than our neighbouring authorities is there.

Doesn't make good reading, does it?

Shouts out poor performance to me, in regard to collecting revenue owed, rather than 'excellent'.

jaysay 24-02-2011 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 886667)
thing is,any improvement is goin the right way, or do yeh think its fine as is?;)

No I don't but as I said it will be sorted out by next August,

Bernard Dawson 24-02-2011 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 886690)
Doesn't make good reading, does it?

Shouts out poor performance to me, in regard to collecting revenue owed, rather than 'excellent'.

It doesn't.It's something I'm sure Peter's not happy with either. We should at least be on a par I would I've thought with are East Lanc's neighbours.

Neil 24-02-2011 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 886629)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 886636)

So any money not collected by Hyndburn is paid by the Government?
What about money not collected from homes?
If a house is empty and owned by a landlord and eligible to pay council tax, is it classed as commercial or residential?

It cant be that hard to take a business to court for non payment.

gynn 24-02-2011 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 886697)
So any money not collected by Hyndburn is paid by the Government?
What about money not collected from homes?
If a house is empty and owned by a landlord and eligible to pay council tax, is it classed as commercial or residential?

It cant be that hard to take a business to court for non payment.

The Government picks up the tab for money not collected by Hyndburn, but they will start squealing at a non collection rate of 7%! No houses are classed for business rate purposes.

By the way, if you want to look further, you can download the Excel file (Table 5) from the government's own web site:-

Collection rates for council tax and national non-domestic rates in England 2009-10 - Corporate - Department for Communities and Local Government

Less 01-03-2011 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 884661)
Yes, so do our's I know someone paid twice in one month to keep in front, got the nasty letters because somehow extra payment doesn't seem to show up.

Well, I can happily inform you that the person involved in this little escapade was none other than, myself.

It had even got to the stage where a 'Council Tax-Notice Of Liability Order had been taken out against me with threats to send in the Bailiffs if I didn't fill in a 'Request For Relevant Information'.

Well, I didn't fill it in instead I emailed the Council and asked for a record of my payments so that I could check them against my bank statements.
A very polite but I imagine extremely harrassed lady replied Giving me the details required and also informing me that on checking these details, I was in fact up to date with my payments and that The summons and liability costs have been removed.
She did go on to say that the reason for this error was that my pay by date was the 14th of the month and some of the payments have been received after this date.

If, I was to be really bothered I think looking through my payment records I would find that in actual fact I was probably several weeks in front when making my donations to the buttie bar, but the system employed down there doesn't seem able to work that out.

However, I won't hassle the girl just on a minor technicality, instead I will thank her for her prompt action, and ask that the overpaid person in charge will try as hard and has the manners to check the figures they have before issuing their next summons to some other poor soul.

:)

jaysay 01-03-2011 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 888287)
Well, I can happily inform you that the person involved in this little escapade was none other than, myself.

It had even got to the stage where a 'Council Tax-Notice Of Liability Order had been taken out against me with threats to send in the Bailiffs if I didn't fill in a 'Request For Relevant Information'.

Well, I didn't fill it in instead I emailed the Council and asked for a record of my payments so that I could check them against my bank statements.
A very polite but I imagine extremely harrassed lady replied Giving me the details required and also informing me that on checking these details, I was in fact up to date with my payments and that The summons and liability costs have been removed.
She did go on to say that the reason for this error was that my pay by date was the 14th of the month and some of the payments have been received after this date.

If, I was to be really bothered I think looking through my payment records I would find that in actual fact I was probably several weeks in front when making my donations to the buttie bar, but the system employed down there doesn't seem able to work that out.

However, I won't hassle the girl just on a minor technicality, instead I will thank her for her prompt action, and ask that the overpaid person in charge will try as hard and has the manners to check the figures they have before issuing their next summons to some other poor soul.

:)

Not sure Less but I think the person your talking about may well be a computer called Fred;)

lindsay ormerod 01-03-2011 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 888388)
Not sure Less but I think the person your talking about may well be a computer called Fred;)

You may find this hard to believe but benefits assessing is done by real, live humans, who can and do make the odd mistake, (usually as a result of people supplying inaccurate info or having ineligible handwriting!!). The only thing the computer does is the adding up and generating the letters.

( I should know, I'm one of those real, live humans! :D)

Less 01-03-2011 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 888388)

No, it's called neglect, whatever system it's based on, the damned thing isn't checked for the GIGO, let it generate heartache and fear amongst the populous, if they are daft enough not to check, we get more revenue.
Not the sort of attitude I expect from a 'place to be'.

Less 01-03-2011 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 888407)
You may find this hard to believe but benefits assessing is done by real, live humans, who can and do make the odd mistake, (usually as a result of people supplying inaccurate info or having ineligible handwriting!!). The only thing the computer does is the adding up and generating the letters.

( I should know, I'm one of those real, live humans! :D)

Lindsay, if you notice, I have nothing but praise for the human intervention, it solved a misunderstanding the council were prepared to dump on me.

lindsay ormerod 01-03-2011 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 888411)
Lindsay, if you notice, I have nothing but praise for the human intervention, it solved a misunderstanding the council were prepared to dump on me.

No problem Less, my comment was more directed at Jaysay who seems to think that all the work is done by computers, granted the pc does all the calculations but it's only as good as the information fed into it, by the humans!:)

walkinman221 01-03-2011 21:02

Depends how much beer they have had the night before as well:D

lindsay ormerod 01-03-2011 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 888435)
Depends how much beer they have had the night before as well:D

You aren't too big for a smacked bottom you know!:rolleyes:

jaysay 02-03-2011 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 888437)
You aren't too big for a smacked bottom you know!:rolleyes:

Keep making threats like that Linds and you'll become very popular on here with some of the lads:D:D:D

garinda 02-03-2011 11:21

Oh no.

Get those sheets out to cover the table's shapely legs.

You've inflamed their sexual ardour.

Run Lindsay, run!

:D

walkinman221 02-03-2011 16:11

It most certainly will :D:eek: