Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Vacation (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/vacation-5689.html)

JohnW 24-09-2004 10:47

Vacation

Well, we are supposed to be going to North Carolina for a week tomorrow. Unfortunately, here comes hurricane Jeanne heading straight for us. Coming in to work this morning "I95 North" (the interstate we will use to leave the area) is absolutely packed with people running from the storm so we may not be able to go. However, if you don't hear from me until Monday 4th. October, please don't presume I have been blown away. I shall return.

angiebaby 24-09-2004 11:26

Re: Vacation

take an umbrella with you and some waterproofs

Doug 24-09-2004 11:35

You enjoy yourself John. I should think you need the rest after this past month... don't forget to send us a post card.

JohnW 24-09-2004 12:16

Thanks Doug, See postcard above. That will have to do I'm afraid. See ya'll in a week and a bit.

WillowTheWhisp 24-09-2004 13:22

Hope you do get your holiday. :)

Acrylic-bob 24-09-2004 16:46

What's this Iv'e read, John, about Hurricane Ivan turning around and heading for Houston, Texas??

pendy 24-09-2004 16:52

Try Blackpool next time JohnW, it has breezes as well, but you get rock, shrimps and jugs of tea for the sands thrown in!

Bazf 24-09-2004 16:54

JW get out its heading stright for St Augustine, we get the rements on Monday oh well another day off work, would be great if I wasnt self employed.

Sara 24-09-2004 17:24

Hope you manage to get your holiday JohnW and that you have a great time, you deserve it after what you have had to go through this last few weeks.

mez 24-09-2004 17:31

hope you manage to have a great vacation j.w & hope you can relax too good luck to you & the family.

ANNE 24-09-2004 18:54

Enjoy your vacation John.
You deserve it after all you have been through.
Good luck.

Bazf 26-09-2004 14:29

1 Attachment(s)
I suppose you guys are probably as sick as us about hearing hurricane news. Well we got away with 3 but as I type this Tampa is getting rocked by 67mph winds we have lost a couple of trees and the street is running water, at the moment I cant go outside and stand up so I will get some photos later. Our power is still on because we have under ground power lines but if the above ground transformer goes then we will be with out electric. Wow this is scary you cant see anything outside because of the rain but you can hear booms as the wind spirals around.

Doug 26-09-2004 15:03

I don’t think we will ever get tired of hearing from or, caring about our friends out there Baz. I’m sure everyone will agree with that. Keep your heads down out there and stay safe. It looks a bit grim on the news. Maybe a wet day in accy is something we should be grateful for.

JohnW 04-10-2004 10:48

Hi Y'all,

Well, back safe and sound after a great week off in North Carolina. We were consdidering postponing our departure until after the storm passed, but a kind neighbour said he would have a look round our house after the storm and board up any windows which were broken, so we set out and left the house to its own devices. The neighbour called and let us know that the house suffered no damage and so we were glad we decided not to ride it out.

We did get the remnants of it up in the Carolinas but it was just a bit of rain for a couple of days, not too bad at all. So, all in all, we have been very lucky and have suffered no ill effects, just the inconvenience of having to take outside furniture and stuff into the garage so that it did not fly around etc., and some loss of power for a few days.

Good to be back, I hope everyone is OK in good old Lancashire. I will try and catch up with the news by reading some of the posts today.

Cheers for now.

Acrylic-bob 04-10-2004 11:04

Welcome back Pal! Glad to hear that everything is OK.