Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Hargreaves House (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hargreaves-house-57191.html)

Ken Moss 14-03-2011 13:14

Hargreaves House

I have been contacted by a residents' group who are very concerned about the fate of Hargreaves House, a respite centre in Oswaldtwistle. They were present at the council meeting last Wednesday and this story from the Lancashire Telegraph explains their concern:

A public demonstration against the closure is planned for Saturday 26th March in Accrington town centre and for more information there are Facebook and blog pages:

For those who will not be able or willing to attend any public protests there is also an e-petition for people to sign.

Margaret Pilkington 14-03-2011 13:41

Re: Hargreaves House

why oh why does everyone put petitions on facebook?
You have to be a member to sign them....and I do not subscribe to facebook...and do n't want to, but would love some other way to sign something of this nature.

Margaret Pilkington 14-03-2011 13:44

Ok....I know the answer to my question.......lots of people use it, but there are many more, just like me, who don't.......and won't in future.
I don't trust it.

garinda 14-03-2011 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 891638)
Ok....I know the answer to my question.......lots of people use it, but there are many more, just like me, who don't.......and won't in future.
I don't trust it.

The last link Ken gave, although it says Facebook isn't.

Here's the petition...

Your Council

Ken Moss 14-03-2011 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 891640)
The last link Ken gave, although it says Facebook isn't.

Here's the petition...

Your Council

Thanks G, it might have helped if I'd posted links in a better way.

What surprises me most is that this local group have had absolutely no response from Peter Britcliffe to their e-mails requesting help and clarification following Wednesday night's meeting and the subsequent news articles.

Having spoken to people who use respite centres and the relief that just one night a month can bring I am fully in favour of them and would urge you all to sign the LCC petition if nothing else.

Thank you.

Margaret Pilkington 14-03-2011 14:10

Thank you for that link G...will definitely sign that when I get back from the school pick up.

Neil 14-03-2011 14:14

I have fixed the links in Ken's first post so the two that did not work properly now do.

magpie 19-03-2011 09:03

Someone should put the petition up in the co op or tesco.... I for one have already signed it: We really need to make a stand about all these cut backs, parents of disabled children need places like Hargreaves house and we need more not less: magpie

Taggy 19-03-2011 10:41

I've added my name to the e petition on the Lancs County Council Website. Its totally disgraceful the way that Lancs County Council are targetting the most vulnerable people by making savage cuts to Social Care Funding. Respite care centres are desperately needed, but because most people are not affected by disability in their families, the Council & indeed the Government think they are an easy target and wont have a big enough support base to protest against the cuts to services!

Best Regards - Taggy

Less 19-03-2011 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 892723)
I've added my name to the e petition on the Lancs County Council Website. Its totally disgraceful the way that Lancs County Council are targetting the most vulnerable people by making savage cuts to Social Care Funding. Respite care centres are desperately needed, but because most people are not affected by disability in their families, the Council & indeed the Government think they are an easy target and wont have a big enough support base to protest against the cuts to services!

Best Regards - Taggy

Not just the Council nor the Government, I also think it an easy way to cut expenses, that however doesn't make it right.