Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Tesco Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/tesco-accrington-57224.html)

accysimon 16-03-2011 15:22

Tesco Accrington

I've just heard a story on facebook,posted by a Hyndburn Councillor, that the Tesco store has been sold to B & Q....anyone any further details?

I have heard that they were losing between £40 000 and £60 000 per week but not sure how true that is. It was always quiet when I went in.

phil8715 16-03-2011 15:31

Re: Tesco Accrington

I've heard that rumour too.

It wasn't from Councillor O'Kane was it?

accysimon 16-03-2011 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil8715 (Post 892203)
I've heard that rumour too.

It wasn't from Councillor O'Kane was it?

Yes, via facebook around 3.30pm today.

phil8715 16-03-2011 15:48

That's where I saw it. Thought it was one of his silly jokes.

Mind you it wouldn't surprise me as every time i've been in it's always been dead.

can't see B&Q doing much either. Accrington for a long time has been a dead town.

I am really hoping that Wetherspoons do open at the Regency as rumours suggest.

accysimon 16-03-2011 16:09

Cllr O'Kane's post also mentioned Netto being sold to Morrison's, which we know is true.

accyman 16-03-2011 16:12

well if true i dont know what b&q are thinking because as with tesco their other branches are more accessable.I live in ozzy and would rather risk going to blackburn than get caught up in accy center especialy between 3pm and 6pm and if not would go to homebase and pay an extra couple of quid rather than get stuck in accy center sat in my car waiting for taxis to stop blocking the road talking to each other,waiting for the idiot parked on the roundabout to move or sat at junctions praying to the traffic gods for somone to please please let me out without smashing into my car

building any sort of retail outlet buisness there was a bad idea from the start mainly because of accringtons traffic system which can take up to 30 mins to get from town center to church at peak times of the day

well bye bye tesco at least we got a new roundabout out of the deal :rolleyes:

flashy 16-03-2011 16:14

I know its not Tesco but i was told by an Asda employee today that Asda are losing a lot of money at the moment due to Tesco and are having to cut back on staff

JCB 16-03-2011 16:16

I heard a story today that the store was being split in two , half Tesco and half B & Q .

lancsdave 16-03-2011 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 892210)
would go to homebase and pay an extra couple of quid

And thats just on a light bulb. Homebase Accrington is terrible. I'll be gald to see a B&Q in Accrington rather than tesco. Wonder if they will want their brown envelope back :D

accyman 16-03-2011 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 892213)
And thats just on a light bulb. Homebase Accrington is terrible. I'll be gald to see a B&Q in Accrington rather than tesco. Wonder if they will want their brown envelope back :D

homebase would be a last resort i would still rather drive to blackburns b&q than risk going in to accy center at the times i said.Blackburn may be just as busy and have its own rush hour but their system allows for busy roads where as accys road system has been a joke for years.It dosnt help that the guy employed to design it didnt even have a driving licence so had no idea what he was doing as he had no experience as a driver or how traffic worked

accysimon 16-03-2011 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 892211)
I know its not Tesco but i was told by an Asda employee today that Asda are losing a lot of money at the moment due to Tesco and are having to cut back on staff

Has Tesco ever been busy? Their opening hours are at the very extreme of the law too, opening at midnight Sunday / Monday and closing at midnight Saturday, before 11am-5pm opening on Sunday's. They are trying anything to survive, but it appears they are failing. If the story of the £40 000 + loss per week is true, no wonder they want to close down already. That means, in 16 weeks, at least £640 000 lost already !!

accyman 16-03-2011 16:32

i would say asda if loosing customers arnt loosing them because of tesco they are loosing them because theres never owt on the shelves or they over raised prices on a lot of things using vat increase as the excuse and people are sick of it

they put 16p on an item that was and always had been 50p and i asked why and they said vat increase

they were selling fray ventus pies for £1.00 on offer then put them up to £2.00 each then 3 days later put them to £1.50 with the lowest rollback price sticker on them like they had done teh customer a huge favour lol

also rotten food on display like peppers for example dosnt help.No one wants to pay around 80p for a pepper you can put your finger through merely picking it up

oh and tehir chicken looks like a dead junkies arm it has so many needle marks in it where they inject the gunk and water to plum it up and have the nerve to charge just short of £9 for a small tray of chicken breasts

standards have dropped a hell of a lot at asda H.Q

duggie 16-03-2011 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by accysimon (Post 892201)
I've just heard a story on facebook,posted by a Hyndburn Councillor, that the Tesco store has been sold to B & Q....anyone any further details?

I have heard that they were losing between £40 000 and £60 000 per week but not sure how true that is. It was always quiet when I went in.

good location for a mosque !

david1 16-03-2011 20:32

Tesco had a store in Preston , But didn't last very long . They moved out and have never been back . This was a Tesco Metro in the middle of the now city .

I am hoping that there has been no small shops closed due to " tesco " dipping their toe into Yet another town where they are not welcome !

Restless 16-03-2011 21:03

hmmm isn't asda buying out a good piece netto stores?

Mik Griff 17-03-2011 00:22

What I heard is they are losing a lot more than £40,000-£60,000 p/w...

Ken Moss 17-03-2011 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by david1 (Post 892262)
Tesco had a store in Preston , But didn't last very long . They moved out and have never been back . This was a Tesco Metro in the middle of the now city .

I am hoping that there has been no small shops closed due to " tesco " dipping their toe into Yet another town where they are not welcome !

That really surprised me at the time because it was never ever empty. I can only assume that the rent was too high. Come back Owen Owen! (The outline of that sign is still there nearly 30 years on if you take a look).

I personally can't see Asda Accrington having been too badly hit by Tesco as it is always heaving and I haven't seen one iota of difference to customer levels since the new store opened. Price-wise it's a lot better anyway and it's also a dam sight easier to get to although fair play to Tesco because the improvements to the main road have been vast and that is one positive point I don't think many will disagree with.

accyman 17-03-2011 15:06

i dont think prices vary between asda and tesco.I either shop at accy asda or haslingden tesco and my conclusion is that asda may be cheaper on some products but between blatant lying on their shelf labeling and sneaky pricing on other goods you dont actualy save money in the long run it just appears that you have until you look closer.

i will say however that the meat is a lot better quality at tescos especialy chicken

Ken Moss 17-03-2011 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 892387)
i dont think prices vary between asda and tesco.I either shop at accy asda or haslingden tesco and my conclusion is that asda may be cheaper on some products but between blatant lying on their shelf labeling and sneaky pricing on other goods you dont actualy save money in the long run it just appears that you have until you look closer.

i will say however that the meat is a lot better quality at tescos especialy chicken

When I met my wife she was a Tesco shopper until we did comparative shops over four weeks. We saved about £30 per week by shopping at Asda due to price differences.

Her argument had always been that you get 'free' vouchers once a month but the most casual inspection demonstrates that you are paying for those all the time. As an example, the wines were around £1 per bottle dearer than Asda for starters.

That was the clinching argument for me.

accyman 17-03-2011 15:19

ahhh you see i dont buy booze at supermarkets i struggle with the got to look 21 rule :D:D:D:D:D:D

yeah i know :(

claytonender 17-03-2011 15:36

Asda might be cheaper on some items but on the whole Tesco are cheaper for the items I buy and the food is much fresher. In fact when I used to do online Tesco shopping and used My supermarket to process the order, I often found that not only were Tesco the cheapest but for my shopping basket Asda were more expensive than both Tesco and Sainsbury. Also I have always found that the standard of customer service in Tesco was much better than Asda.
Before Ken berates me on my spending habits - I rarely spend over £35 a week in a supermarket so would straggle to save £30 a week. And I don't buy meat in supermarkets and very rarely buy any alcohol either.

black_flights 17-03-2011 15:50

I guess it depends on what products you buy. My and my partner always shop at Asda, we nipped into tesco whilst in town just to get a few bits for our Thai curry, it was about £5 more expensive in tesco for the same ingredients (different brands of course) needless to say we havn't been back.

Benipete 17-03-2011 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_flights (Post 892398)
I guess it depends on what products you buy. My and my partner always shop at Asda, we nipped into tesco whilst in town just to get a few bits for our Thai curry, it was about £5 more expensive in tesco for the same ingredients (different brands of course) needless to say we havn't been back.

Are you sure that was Lemon Grass you bought?:confused::D:D

Ken Moss 17-03-2011 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 892394)
Asda might be cheaper on some items but on the whole Tesco are cheaper for the items I buy and the food is much fresher. In fact when I used to do online Tesco shopping and used My supermarket to process the order, I often found that not only were Tesco the cheapest but for my shopping basket Asda were more expensive than both Tesco and Sainsbury. Also I have always found that the standard of customer service in Tesco was much better than Asda.
Before Ken berates me on my spending habits - I rarely spend over £35 a week in a supermarket so would straggle to save £30 a week. And I don't buy meat in supermarkets and very rarely buy any alcohol either.

I would never presume such a liberty with you, Joan!

Over the years we've cut back on our indulgences, particularly as our overly-comfortable lifestyle was no good for either our waistlines or our bank balance. I now use Accrington Market for the vast majority of my fresh meat which has compensated for the loss of my butcher in Rishton but I'm afraid the wine remains a vice.

jaysay 17-03-2011 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 892407)
I would never presume such a liberty with you, Joan!

Over the years we've cut back on our indulgences, particularly as our overly-comfortable lifestyle was no good for either our waistlines or our bank balance. I now use Accrington Market for the vast majority of my fresh meat which has compensated for the loss of my butcher in Rishton but I'm afraid the wine remains a vice.

Kenneth, I little of what you fancy does you good:rolleyes:

g jones 17-03-2011 20:45

Like Ken I find meat and veg fresher, tastier on the market. I tend not to buy the tempting extras and processed food as well keeping the food shop healthier and spending less.

g jones 17-03-2011 20:53

Just had a senior manager inform me the rumours are untrue.

phil8715 17-03-2011 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by david1 (Post 892262)

Preston does a Tesco Metro store on Church Street.

Josie Bloggs 17-03-2011 21:45

I was there for the opening, when the women whos son died in action was invited to cut the ribbons, the reaction of the mayor was awful, he looked really peed off at not being the center of attention, had to be dragged into the photos. It was embarrassing, don't know if the papers picked it up, I dont generally buy the local rag.

Neil 17-03-2011 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josie Bloggs (Post 892481)
I was there for the opening, when the women whos son died in action was invited to cut the ribbons, the reaction of the mayor was awful, he looked really peed off at not being the center of attention, had to be dragged into the photos. It was embarrassing, don't know if the papers picked it up, I dont generally buy the local rag.

Does not sound very nice that. I am the opposite, I was at an opening of a local play area in Great Harwood and I tried to avoid the photos until Cathy noticed I was hiding :rolleyes::D

Josie Bloggs 17-03-2011 21:55

It wasnt nice. I hope the next mayor is chosen because of who he or she is not just because they keep PB in power, but he has to live after all

Ken Moss 18-03-2011 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josie Bloggs (Post 892492)
It wasnt nice. I hope the next mayor is chosen because of who he or she is not just because they keep PB in power, but he has to live after all

The Mayor is currently decided by a gentleman's agreement that it flips between the two main parties year by year. Although he is now Independent, Malcolm Pritchard had stated for some time that he wanted to be Mayor this year because it has great personal significance for him.

It is now widely understood that a deal was struck between Cllr Pritchard and Cllr Britcliffe that he could be Mayor so long as he supported Conservative decisions in full council meetings. How much this has succeeded is debatable as Malcolm Pritchard does not seem to be a man to come to heel very lightly and he has chaired council meetings in a pretty even-handed way over the past year.

Technically, this year it is Labour's turn but it all depends on the outcome of the local elections in May. I am on a committee at the moment that is currently looking to stop the Mayor being used as a political pawn because all respect for the position has evaporated. The fact that Cllr Britcliffe's name and not Mayor Pritchard's has appeared on so many brass plaques at opening ceremonies around the borough is testament to the ego of the man at the head of the council.

The Ossy Civic Theatre is due for another re-opening this week, watch whose name is on it.

jaysay 18-03-2011 09:00

I wonder which Labour Councillor or candidate Ms Bloggs is:rolleyes:

Ken Moss 19-03-2011 06:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 892538)
I wonder which Labour Councillor or candidate Ms Bloggs is:rolleyes:

If she is then I remain blissfully unaware!

Our lot tend not to skulk in the shadows....

jaysay 19-03-2011 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 892694)
If she is then I remain blissfully unaware!

Our lot tend not to skulk in the shadows....

Ya I remember Robert Owen who turned out to be a senior Labour Councillor of many years standing:rolleyes:

Josie Bloggs 21-03-2011 22:50

I swear I am in no way connected to the political partys, but I hear some of what goes on and get really angry.

Eric 22-03-2011 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josie Bloggs (Post 893150)
I swear I am in no way connected to the political partys, but I hear some of what goes on and get really angry.

Chill .... In the great scheme of things .... :rolleyes:

mani 23-03-2011 01:34

cant see them closing down tbh.

not this soon

maybe in a year or two time if things stay the same.

asda at the moment i'd say has three/four times the custom tesco is getting. maybe more so.

vicky1 29-03-2011 17:30

The latest rumour is that Sainsbury's have put a bid in for it. But time will tell.

Stumped 29-03-2011 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicky1 (Post 894528)
The latest rumour is that Sainsbury's have put a bid in for it. But time will tell.

The design and size of Accrington's Tesco is more or less the same as the recently opened Sainsbury's at Colne, hence the foundation for this latest rumour!

garinda 29-03-2011 18:58

I think if they can afford a £1.5 (at least) million quid bung to H.B.C. to ensure their plans were passed, I'm sure they'll cope with a few relatively poor month's trading figures.

Nickelson 29-03-2011 19:39

Tesco live off the profit margins of 2000's they need to realise there plan is no longer sustainable and people are getting sick of Tesco towns.

Josie Bloggs 30-03-2011 23:15

I have to give tesco credit for a nice building, it does look good and helps tidy up that part of town. Shopping there is a nice experience because its not really crowded, but there profit can't be great. I still prefer shopping "locally" tho, in the town center.

flashy 30-03-2011 23:42

is the Tesco in Accy always very quiet? we went in Monday Afternoon just after 3 and there was about 5 people in, never seen a Tesco so empty

Alan Varrechia 30-03-2011 23:45

Up to now everytime weve been in it's been very quiet. Good for shopping not for profits. :D:D:D

Boeing Guy 31-03-2011 06:14

We must pick the wrong times, recently, every time we have gone in it has been fairly busy. Not as busy as Blackburns or Euxtons, but it is not the size of those. Time will tell.

heth 02-04-2011 20:19

Never busy when I have been in, would say 12/15 people. Not been in though now that my vouchers have finished, back to the packed (but cheaper) ASDA for me! :D

Lolly 03-04-2011 11:58

I have not been in Asda since Tesco opened. Slight loyalty as my brother works there, but tbh its so much better than Asda. Yes some things are more expensive but I would rather pay the extra and get better quality items.

mani 04-04-2011 11:51

anyone heard of any rumours about a tesco express opening in clayton le moors?

someone mentioned they were lookin to open something there too.

cashman 04-04-2011 12:10

we were in yesterday afternoon, was heaving.

Barrie Yates 04-04-2011 17:45

Went into Asda about 1600 today for a couple of items -as I was passing there. Very quiet, just as it has been the last few times - in comparison to Tesco

katex 05-04-2011 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mani (Post 895989)
anyone heard of any rumours about a tesco express opening in clayton le moors?

someone mentioned they were lookin to open something there too.

Haven't heard anything, Mani. Can't think really where they would build/buy any property for it ?

accyman 05-04-2011 18:49

they could buy the late shop katex it wouldnt be the first time that shops changed ownership.

mind you if the promise a roundabout they could probably cut down the woods and build it there maybe

katex 05-04-2011 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 896319)
they could buy the late shop katex it wouldnt be the first time that shops changed ownership.

mind you if the promise a roundabout they could probably cut down the woods and build it there maybe

Did think about the Co-op, Accyman, but just been re-furbished (well, sort of). Mind you, we all decorate to sell our property don't we. And they did sell out to Morrisons at Great Harwood.

heth 05-04-2011 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 896432)
Did think about the Co-op, Accyman, but just been re-furbished (well, sort of). Mind you, we all decorate to sell our property don't we. And they did sell out to Morrisons at Great Harwood.

As you have mentioned Morrisons, :rolleyes: I went there last week with my Mum for a nosy.........it is quite nice and cheaper than asda!!! Didnt need much but deff will be going back.

The only thing is the aisles as you go through the door dont flow, went round the fruit and veg twice to get everthing I needed!! :D

Benipete 06-04-2011 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by heth (Post 896434)
As you have mentioned Morrisons, :rolleyes: I went there last week with my Mum for a nosy.........it is quite nice and cheaper than asda!!! Didnt need much but deff will be going back.

The only thing is the aisles as you go through the door dont flow, went round the fruit and veg twice to get everthing I needed!! :D

Don't worry we all get to the age of having to write things down.:confused:

Not to sure though about your urge to flow down the aisle .:eek::D:D

jaysay 06-04-2011 08:58

Quote:

Ya I used to be like that on bad days heth don't let it get ya down:D

jaysay 06-04-2011 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 896482)
Don't worry we all get to the age of having to write things down.:confused:

Not to sure though about your urge to flow down the aisle .:eek::D:D

Looks like we both have that little streak in us Beni:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

MITZY 06-04-2011 19:46

The secret is remembering the list you have wrote.

jaysay 07-04-2011 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZY (Post 896664)
The secret is remembering the list you have wrote.

You speak for yourself young lady, I have a memory like a, um,ah,um,goldfish:D

cashman 07-04-2011 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 896758)
You speak for yourself young lady, I have a memory like a, um,ah,um,goldfish:D

Yeh ya have a kisser like one as well.:D

jaysay 07-04-2011 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 896762)
Yeh ya have a kisser like one as well.:D

Kiss the north side of my ................:D

katex 09-04-2011 11:44

The latest 'gossip' (and I do emphasise gossip), is that the plan to build a new Tesco at Great Harwood has been sold to Morrisons, as they wish to expand ! Can understand why Tesco would not wish to go in there now ... what with Aldi/Morrisons and Whiteheads all on the same route. This would then make sense for Tesco to be looking at Clayton. All speculation of course.

Has that Morrisons in Accrington opened yet? See they are applying for signage.

Neil 09-04-2011 12:14

Quote:

Were you looking for the blonde shampoo? :p:rolleyes::D

jaysay 09-04-2011 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 897488)

she found it under the demestso shelf Neil

heth 10-04-2011 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 897488)

Wondered when you would pop up and take the pi...................... :p

:D:D:D

Bee 30-04-2011 13:38

Morrisons in Accrington, as i heard, will open where Netto is now.

pipinfort 30-04-2011 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee (Post 902114)
Morrisons in Accrington, as i heard, will open where Netto is now.

Correct.........old news