Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Will they never learn (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/will-they-never-learn-59672.html)

jaysay 27-10-2011 10:26

Will they never learn

BBC News - Ribble estuary cocklers: Another five rescued

Will people never learn. Seems people have forgotten the Chinese Cocklers who lost there lives in Morecambe bay a few years ago. over the last couple of weeks its been on the local news at life boats have been called out numerous times to rescue people getting into difficulties cockling near Lytham-St-Ann's, will they never learn

cashman 27-10-2011 11:07

Re: Will they never learn

They probably have more chance of learning,if the coastguards ignored em, they are well aware of the dangers, its there choice, sod em i say.:rolleyes:

gynn 27-10-2011 11:33

The cocklers should certainly be charged the full cost plus a bit more of the lifeboat going to rescue them.

Just one question came to my mind yesterday. Who exactly is it that eats cockles? I think I've managed to get to the ripe old age I am by not eating a single cockle.

Are they a delicacy somewhere?

groove 27-10-2011 11:47

Groove believes that the cockle pickers earn 400 pund a day, but believes a number of these are illegal immigrants working und duress from gangsters.

Whittaker 27-10-2011 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by groove (Post 942784)
Groove believes that the cockle pickers earn 400 pund a day, but believes a number of these are illegal immigrants working und duress from gangsters.

Just to advise Groove since the cockle pickers died some years ago the industry as a whole has been tightened to employ people in the food industry you need to have a "Gangmaster licence" which many of the good recruitment companies have. to say they earn £400 a day is an exaggeration, the government at the time introduce the Gangmaster licence and it costs to have one of these and they are not cheap.

There is industry in cockle picking and it is usually farmed but there are also cockle pickers in this estuary doing a official worthwhile job.

Boeing Guy 27-10-2011 12:08

Groove, it seems has not learnt anything. Despite his apology he still makes stupid remarks and childish and offensive jokes

Boeing Guy 27-10-2011 12:09

£400.00 per day.... That's quite a lot. I would have thought the majority make a awful lot less. Or most of us would be out their ourselves

jaysay 27-10-2011 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 942781)
The cocklers should certainly be charged the full cost plus a bit more of the lifeboat going to rescue them.

Just one question came to my mind yesterday. Who exactly is it that eats cockles? I think I've managed to get to the ripe old age I am by not eating a single cockle.

They're not on my menu either gynn, they're one of the things I'm allergic too

cmonstanley 27-10-2011 22:43

cmonstanley thinks there will be many deaths because big bad tories are shutting down too many coastguard stations;)

cashman 28-10-2011 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 942924)
cmonstanley thinks there will be many deaths because big bad tories are shutting down too many coastguard stations;)

There probably will be some deaths, but to say yeh think "many" cos of the big bad tories, is a great example of people like you driving folk towards voting fer those scumbags,:rolleyes: doubt though if yeh will ever learn.:rolleyes:

Michael1954 31-10-2011 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 942781)

Well I eat cockles, as well as mussels, so I guess I am exactly it!

jaysay 01-11-2011 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 943981)
Well I eat cockles, as well as mussels, so I guess I am exactly it!

Bet your mate in your avatar likes um too Michael:D

garinda 01-11-2011 09:28

Contrary to public belief, winkle pickers aren't the most suitable footwear, for working on Morecambe Bay's ever shifting sands.

;)

Michael1954 01-11-2011 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 944044)
Bet your mate in your avatar likes um too Michael:D

He does, the greedy devil!